1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Which old Sesame Street Characters could return for Season 50?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by mbmfrog, Oct 23, 2018.

1. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Well-Known Member

Sesame Street was always full of many unique characters and while the current cast is a basic simple and small cast...that does bring up the question of Season 50 ?

An anniversary season that full of surprises is worth the wait. So that bring up this question: With so many characters that Sesame Street has: With the exception of the main cast of Sesame Street Muppets via Big Bird, Elmo, Cookie and Abby, Which OLD Sesame Street characters, like the Honkers, Mumford and others, do you expect making an appearance for the 50th season and which former background character via Ernie, Bert, Telly and Prairie Dawn would make leap back to the forefront in time for Season 50 ?

2. Daffyfan4ever

Daffyfan4ever Well-Known Member

Forgetful Jones (David Rudman), Biff and Sully, Harvey Kneeslapper, Roosevelt Franklin, (Matt Vogel), Professor Hastings (Eric Jacobson). I'll try to think of more later on.

Blue Frackle and cahuenga like this.
  3. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Who do I expect?

Well, if I had a guess, probably alot of characters from season 40.

4. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

That's not the answer I was expecting from you... ;)

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  5. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I mean, they use Honkers all the time lately (mainly in the background, but they're there).

I would expect a bunch of background cameos, but nothing major like Herry or Granny Fanny getting a whole storyline about themselves.

They're making sure the focus is on the core group of characters, which is much more apparent in the marketing than on the show itself it seems. Don't expect them to balloon the Muppet cast back up again. Half of the old Muppet casts were just created to help them make material for 130 shows a season; that's not an issue anymore.

sesamemuppetfan likes this.
  6. mbmfrog

Having Herry at the very least make a comeback in Season 50, even for a few episodes would be a treat to see.

Plus they could bring back all the old songs just for the 50th Season and/or saving it for the 50th anniversary special on TV. Surely that is a reason to bring back the old characters, right ?

7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I would like to see new versions of old songs, yes. I feel like they should've been doing that for awhile.

But again, I think the most they'll do is some silent cameos. Don't expect a Simon Soundman musical number or anything.

Blue Frackle likes this.
  8. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Hehe. Well, it did say "expect", not "hope." :p

But, yeah. I personally don't expect a Little Jerry cameo given that they skipped through seasons and didn't appear as much by the 80's, but we'll see.

9. mbmfrog

When it comes to Simon Soundman, I don't think Silent is something you should expect when he makes a cameo appearance. :p

Blue Frackle likes this.
  10. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I have a feeling characters like Forgetful or Roosevelt won't have voices because, of respect. Plus Norman Stiles said they couldn't recast Forgetful because he was such a Richard character.

11. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Honestly, I can imagine Herry getting a storyline about himself, considering that Peter is slowly but surely bringing him back into the spotlight. As for Granny Fanny? She wasn't as well-known, so I definitely don't see her getting a storyline of some kind.

mbmfrog, cahuenga and LittleJerry92 like this.
  12. Daffyfan4ever

Daffyfan4ever Well-Known Member

No, but she could appear in the background or as a supporting character or something.

13. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

I don't watch new Sesame Street, but cringe at hearing Bert, Ernie and even Telly have been relegated to background characters.

It's honestly all about Harvey Kneeslapper at this point.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  14. MuppetSpot

Bert and Ernie are making a comeback. So you cannot complain there

15. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

How about the Amazing Mumford? He made a background appearance in the finale of Caroll Spinney's retirement party video, so I'm hoping that he returns.

16. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

There was a Facebook vid recently that Sesame put up where he had a speaking role and John Kennedy played him.

17. somethingofafan

somethingofafan Well-Known Member

What were in my childhood the first-tier Muppets (Big Bird, Oscar, Bert, Ernie, Grover, Cookie Monster, and to a lesser degree Telly, Elmo, Snuffy, and the Count) are all still with the show (save Kermit, now separately owned). So an appearance by the then-second-tier Muppets (Herry, Guy Smiley, Mumford, Forgetful Jones, Alice, etc.) would be nice.

But that pales in comparison to the expectation of the longer-running human cast members showing back up (for the special at least, if not on the regular episodes).

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  18. MuppetSpot

Alice I think the puppet got deteriorated over time and it’s too expensive to rebuild.

19. BuddyBoy600alt

BuddyBoy600alt Well-Known Member

It could be like: Don Music (David Rudman), How Now Brown Cow (Christopher Cerf), Kermit the Frog (Peter Linz), Biff (Matt Vogel), and Sully (David Rudman), Miami Mice (Peter Linz and Martin P. Robinson), Sherlock Hemlock (Matt Vogel) and many others.....

20. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that Sherlock Hemlock ever got enough love. :search: