1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Who Built Lips?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by dwayne1115, Mar 22, 2015.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Okay all you Lips fans! Mike Quinn and Steve Whitmire are working together on an unannounced Muppet project, and they have been trying to figure out who originally built Lips. So if anyone on here knows I will share that info with Mike.

LeahXZoot4Evur and minor muppetz like this.
  2. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

3. dwayne1115

Thanks I looked it up and found that myself. LOL thanks though. Apparently they are doing some kind of filming and they are using Lips, and it is the original puppet which is hard to them to believe.

4. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Wow. That's cool.

dwayne1115 likes this.
  5. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I wonder why they need to know who built the original puppet in order to use it. Do the puppet builders have to get paid every time a puppet they built gets used or something?

And it's interesting that the original is going to be used, when a new one was built a few years ago. I wonder if Lips will be doing something that would be damaging to a puppet (I've read that whenever the Big Bird puppet is about to be replaced they have Big Bird do something that they normally wouldn't have him do, the only example I know of is him in real water).

LeahXZoot4Evur likes this.
  6. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Woah, no way. That's been the original puppet? Sweet!

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  7. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I doubt that. I think they were just curious after they discovered it's the same puppet.

Mo Frackle likes this.
  8. dwayne1115

From what Mike said from his Facebook page the puppet was very fragile, and they where just wondering who built Lips, just for the sake of knowing. Apparently they took good care of Lips by putting him in a sealed bag and another storage thing. Unlike in the early days where Jim when he thought he was done with a puppet would give it to his kids to play with.

9. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

Where are kept all the muppets? there may be hundreds or thousands!!! did they change the storage after Disney bought them? and sesame Muppets and Jim Henson puppets? thanks!!!

10. Colbynfriends

Colbynfriends Well-Known Member

THIS will be an interesting short. Lips is one of the most mysterious yet best loved obscure characters (at least by many fans, including myself). Using the original puppet no less, what could they possibly be planning. Hope we can see soon enough!

11. dwayne1115

I don't know where they keep the unused Muppets. I can some how picture them in these giant crates in a freezer in a basement at Disney World.

I mentioned that to Mike I told him that Lips is a huge fan favorite among teenage girls, I also asked him if Steve still felt uneasy about voicing Lips and he said "No I don't think so" So we may even hear him sing or speak more as well.

minor muppetz and cahuenga like this.
  12. minor muppetz

I wonder if Lips is actually starring in this or if he's featured among other characters (like if it's actually starring The Electric Mayhem). Dave Goelz mentioned that Lips had a line in something the performers did in winter 2013 (which we assume was a deleted scene from Muppets Most Wanted, but we don't know for sure) and Steve gave him such an impressive delivery that he's now comfortable voicing the character. Dave said that he couldn't wait to see what was done next for Lips (and despite that, everything the character has been in since have had him silent, he didn't even get a line in the Lady Gaga special).

Craig Shemin has said that Disney doesn't archive acquired properties, so The Jim Henson Company Archives still has all pre-2004 Muppet archive materials, including puppets (which is probably why the last two movies do have "puppets by Jim Henson's Creature Shop", since it seems like some background characters from those movies were the originals), scripts, design sketches, and master tapes (I hope that's not the reason so much isn't on DVD). I assume that Puppet Heap has current Muppet puppets in storage. The Sesame Street Muppets are also stored at the workshop, since Jim Henson's Creature Shop continues to build the Sesame Muppets.

13. Muppet fan 123

Yep, @minor muppetz is correct. Craig said in his interview that Disney doesn't have archives for their acquired properties. This includes Muppets, Marvel, and Star Wars. The pre-2004 properties are all still archived at the Henson Archives, headed by Karen Falk.

14. Muppet fan 123

Yep, @minor muppetz is correct. Craig said in his interview that Disney doesn't have archives for their acquired properties. This includes Muppets, Marvel, and Star Wars. The pre-2004 properties are all still archived at the Henson Archives, headed by Karen Falk.

cahuenga likes this.
  15. LeahXZoot4Evur

LeahXZoot4Evur Well-Known Member

Whoa! A film about Lips?! :) that's something I would watch, fer sure!!:D

16. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Not about Lips, he's just in it.

LeahXZoot4Evur likes this.
  17. LeahXZoot4Evur

I would still watch it. :) I'm the Lips fanatic here.

dwayne1115 likes this.
  18. minor muppetz

There's a thread at Tough Pigs about an upcoming Electric Mayhem appearance, which may or may not be this. Kirk Thatcher and Tom Berson (I might be wrong on the spelling... I think he's the host of America's Funniest Home Videos) both posted pics on Twitter for a project with the band, which appears to have a jungle setting.

dwayne1115 and LeahXZoot4Evur like this.
  19. LeahXZoot4Evur

Can you send me a link?

20. minor muppetz

dwayne1115 and LeahXZoot4Evur like this.