Who is he?

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
Who is the guy in Low Middle High that says how about glasses? he also says sometihng in the stuff song by bert and ernie. sorry if this seems obvious but ive only heard the audio

Gonzo

Reaction score
You may mean Herbert Birdsfoot--does he have a higher voice? If you do mean him, he....well, he was purple, had a moustache, wore glasses and a suit...he looked sort of like an accountant. He was on quite a few of the songs in the 1970's but pretty much dropped out of sight, and I've only seen him a few times on Sesame Street. He was on the game shows with Guy Smiley sometimes, but other than that...wasn't around a lot. Other people here can probably give you more info on him than that.

Quinnnnnnnnnn

Joggy

Reaction score
I thought that Jerry Nelson-ish guy was Sherlock Hemlock, The World's Greatest Detective. His voice is slightly lower than Herbert's.

Herbert was an Anything Muppet who did lectures, often with Grover. I believe he was added in 1970 to take Kermit's place for some reason, but Henson put him back on in 1971.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Yeah but Herbert is the one singing with them. I think that someone even says Herbie or something in the dialogue of the song.

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
The Low Middle High i meant actually was the one Oscar played on his trash can lids. Just in case you tohught i was talking about the bert and ernie one.

Splurge

Reaction score
Originally posted by Joggy
I thought that Jerry Nelson-ish guy was Sherlock Hemlock, The World's Greatest Detective. His voice is slightly lower than Herbert's.

Herbert was an Anything Muppet who did lectures, often with Grover. I believe he was added in 1970 to take Kermit's place for some reason, but Henson put him back on in 1971.
Jerry N. once posted that he modelled the character after Jiminy Cricket, more or less. Jim and Frank ultimately didn't think Herbert was working out very well, although Jerry might have thought differently.

I hope I got that right. I can't relocate that original post.

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Originally posted by Clean Gultch
The Low Middle High i meant actually was the one Oscar played on his trash can lids. Just in case you tohught i was talking about the bert and ernie one.
Herbert Birdsfoot is the character you're thinking of in both of those songs.

- Billy :cool:

MIKEB97

Reaction score
Originally posted by Joggy

Why did Herbert take Kermit's place? When Jim put Kermit back on in 1971, did he return near the end of season 2 or season 3?

ssetta

Reaction score
I think the one with Herbert Birdsfoot singing is called "High, Middle, Low". It goes like this:

I can only sing the high part
It's the only part I know
And when I sing the high part
This is how I go:

La, la la la la la la, la
La, la la la la la la

And then Ernie and Bert sing the middle and low parts, and then they put all 3 parts together. Now it was done by Herbert Birdsfoot, Ernie, and Bert on the album Sesame Street 2. On the show, it was done by 3 anything muppets.

And I think the reason why they got rid of Herbert Birdsfoot was because people said he didn't really go anywhere, he was just like a regular school teacher, or a regular person. Apparently, nobody liked him.