Who likes Popeye?

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing this link with us! This is a real good find!

Erine81981

Reaction score
lowercasegods said:
Thank you so much for sharing this link with us! This is a real good find!
I pormise you would love the new CGI movie that came out last year. If you watch the behind the sences you'll that they tried to keep the same old drawing of the Fleischer cartoons. And the story line is pretty good I think. Just keep it in mind and rent it first and see what you think about it. I would think that you would enjoy it. I love Popeye too and thought to myself why CGI? My friend who loves Popeye too told me to watch it with him and I couldn't get enough of it. Hope you take this to heart and decide to watch it. Talk to you later.

P.S. They did really good on the voice actors they choses.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I read that Billy West (Stimpy from Ren and Stimpy) did Popeye. That guy is pure talent, so I'm glad they got him for Popeye. And it's certainly one more excuse for me to give it a chance.

Xela

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
That's okay Xela but let's please keep this thread on the subject Popeye.

If you would like to start another thread we will be quite happy to discuss Looney Tunes I'm sure. No offense meant it's just easier to keep topics strictly separate in my opinion
Oh yeah, sorry about that! I must have not even realized I was doing it, lol.
Oops.

Yeah, as far as Popeye goes, I saw this one cartoon of his at the D-Day Museum in New Orleans, Louisiana. It would now be considered racist (it was made during wartimes) but it was pretty funny, although a little weird to see, cause I had never seen it before. And it was also pretty racist...but I suppose nowadays there is worse on television.

Xerus

Reaction score
There were a lot of things I liked about the black and white cartoons. The way Popeye kept mumbling stuff to himself without moving his lips.

And the punches Popeye gave Bluto were very artistic. Like how one time Popeye punched the paint off of Bluto leaving him in only a black tracing. And how Popeye gave Bluto a punch that sent him flying around the word and back to Popeye's feet. They had this rule at Fleschier studios. Don't use the same gag twice.

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
Yeah, my dad likes Popeye so that's how I got to like him.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
The Fleischers were just so abstract and surreal, and it gave a great unique quality to their cartoons, especially the Popeye's. And what's neat about Popeye's mumblings is that they were all improvised. In those days, the Fleischers recorded their soundtracks AFTER the cartoons was made (the opposite is done these days), so Popeye's voice artist Jack Mercer took some liberties and had the character mutter the most wild, spontaneous things. Mae Questel who did both Olive Oyl and Betty Boop did it was well with her character, and soon it became common practice with all the actors.