1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Who makes the principal Muppets ?

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by chrislynch, Nov 16, 2008.

1. chrislynch

chrislynch New Member

Hey everyone,

Have a question that's been bugging me.
    Does the Jim Henson Puppet workshop in New York still make the principal 'Muppet' Characters owned by Walt Disney?

I know the workshop still has the contract to make the Sesame Street Muppets etc....

Or does Disney now employment another company ?

So want to know !

Cheers

Chris
    New Zealand

2. Luke

Luke Active Member

A company called Puppet Heap makes them, staffed by some ex-henson builders.

3. chrislynch

chrislynch New Member

really?

Wow just went to their website.. doesn't make any mention of Miss Piggy or Kermit ? I wonder why not ? How did you find that out ?

Cheers
    Any website you can recommend for me to find out more information?

4. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Go to their site, click on news and then click on news archive and look for the Muppets heading.Maybe the Muppets arent in the picture gallery because disney may not want them to be there, although they have allowed Bear, so I dont see why not.

5. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

All I found was this. I agree with chrislynch though; I'm surprised there's not more mention of their involvement. Making the Muppets for the Muppets? That's a huge deal that merits bragging rights!

6. chrislynch

chrislynch New Member

yeah !

yeah I know ! thought they would have pictures up on their website! Interesting to see that on the DC Almost love appearance... the company doesn't get a credit.. it just says "Muppet workshop" very confusing. I wonder if the Henson workshop in New York has has to downsize? Seems a shame.
    Anyway thanks for your post !

7. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well the Henson workshop in New York has cloesed down. I think they cloesed about 2005 or so.

8. chrislynch

chrislynch New Member

you're joking? I had no idea!

Where are the Muppets for Sesame Street made?

I thought there was still some puppet making in LA ? NO ?

9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I think Sesame Workshop has their own puppet workshop. I cannot be 100 percent on that one.

10. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Is Rick Lyon still involved in building stuff for Henson, CTW, or Disney?

11. muppetinsider

muppetinsider New Member

I heard he was blacklisted from working for them again. Too bad, talented guy but too many oddities about him.

12. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Blacklisted? Why? Is it because of his work with Crank Yankers?

13. muppetinsider

muppetinsider New Member

Well, I believe the story goes back about 5 years or so ago; he use to do a lot of work on Sesame. However, there was a problem with him taking ideas from one of the other principal performer's notepad, literally swiping notes to an idea for a show and characters that this performer had been working on. When this muppeteer walked in on Rick reading his private notepad, well, you can imagine the awkwardness that must have been.
    Needless to say, from that day on, he never worked there again.
    Again, nice guy, talented performer, but not to be trusted.

14. Keeermit

Keeermit Active Member

Sesame Workshop is still open for business and makes the puppets for Sesame Street and many or the other sesame shows around the world. :insatiable:

15. muppetinsider

muppetinsider New Member

Correct amundo.
    Maybe one day we can see all the Muppets together again the way it should be. Right now they are kind of like the scarecrow from Wizard of Oz; half of them over here, half of them over there, and the other half over there. It's just too divided up and it's really starting to show.
    No more Kermit on Sesame Street. Muppet Show characters and Fraggles together? I don't thinks so. The full Muppet breed cannot sing together in unison anymore, and that kind of defeats the purpose of the whole idea of unity that Jim was trying to bring to the world.
    Too bad they didn't freeze Jim the way they supposedly did with Walt; Cause now would be a perfect time to start thawing him out.

16. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

Love that last sentence.

17. Kevin Knight

Kevin Knight New Member

I'll add one thing to this thread taken from my day with :wisdom: Caroll Spinney. He commented that things are taken a little more seriously with Sesame Street rather than their Muppet kindred nowadays. I think he was referring to staying focused on educational children's programming, keep the allusion and magic alive, and an overall feeling of knowing what their all doing.

KK

18. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

It is so good to know that there are people out there that feel as strongly as I do about what the Muppets are and need to be.

19. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

well if you look at the "new" credits on SS (Sesame Street) you can see it say "Jim Henson's Creature Shop" makes the Puppets

20. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

Does anybody ever think there will be a day where all the Muppets are together with one home again?