Who sings "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon"?

ernie1979

Reaction score
Folks,

I'm in the midst of a disagreement with a friend over who sings "I don't want to live on the moon" (one of my all-time favorites). I say Ernie, she says Kermit.

Is it possible that both sang it at one time or another? How might I go about proving it?

I hope you might be able to give me hand, just to set the record straight.

Best,
Mark

scarecroe

Reaction score
If you want to prove it, just show them any of four albums that have the song. Platinum All-Time Favorites, Bert and Ernie's Greatest Hits, Dreamytime Songs and even a duet version with Shawn Colvin on Elmopalooza.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
...and even a duet version with Shawn Colvin on Elmopalooza.
Which is AMAZING, by the way. I recommend listening to it regardless of the dispute. I honestly have a tendancy to despise people covering Muppet songs (namely the Princeton Nassoons Medley...I HATE that..), but this one pushed me to tears the first time I heard it. Definitely a great listen IMO.

-Matt

scarecroe

Reaction score
Funny, the Nassoons Medley gets me a teary eyed every time I hear it. The passion that went into that arrangement and performance is wonderful. Hearing the audience reaction to it makes me feel happy. It's one of those little things that serve as proof that Jim touched the lives of those even outside our little online circle.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer the Shawn Colvin version used on the special (not the CD release) as it featured a duet with Ernie and the Martians at the end.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Well, I personally think the Nassoons were playing using the Muppets as novelty, which happens way too often with Jim Henson creations. To me, it seemed like "ooh, lets be clever and do something nostolgic that is familiar to people!" when none of them are actually true fans. That of course is speculation, and of course, its all just 16-year-old opinion. Not worth much, I guess.

-Matt

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
Funny, the Nassoons Medley gets me a teary eyed every time I hear it. The passion that went into that arrangement and performance is wonderful. Hearing the audience reaction to it makes me feel happy. It's one of those little things that serve as proof that Jim touched the lives of those even outside our little online circle.
I got a kick out of that when I heard it! You could tell that the singers were having fun with it (and there was definately some coreography going on that makes me wish there was a video version of that available!), as was the audience judging by their reactions. I thought it was great that the big that got the biggest laugh was the Statler & Waldorf comment near the end of the medley.

And the way "Mahna Mahna" kept popping up throughout the entire thing was funny, too :big_grin:

-Kim

CookieFan

Reaction score
And there's that duet w/Aaron Neville.

That's such a beautiful song.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

I once saw a man sing 'I Dont Want To Live On The Moon', He had a real high pitched voice.

I thought it was Shawn Colvin, But then when i heard that version it sounded like a woman singing... not high pitched, Just a womans voice.

Any ideas ?