Who's your favorite Disney princess?

Mad Monty fan

Reaction score
Here's my top 3 Disney/Non Disney girls:
1. Rapunzel: Whether she's holding up a heavy frying pan or using her hair to hold Flynn hostage, she's that blonde that everybody wishes they could be.
2. Anya/Anastasia: Another female who wasn't afraid to give up, even if a evil wizard and his bat lackey were trying to stop her along the way.
3. Astrid: Yet another blonde, but unlike Rapunzel, who uses a frying pan, Astrid would rather prefer to use an ax. :wink:

And now here's my top 3 independent Disney guys:
3. Phoebus: He is a truly amazing blonde everybody wishes they could be. Whether stopping two guards from chasing Esmeralda or saving Quasimodo from falling, man can he do a lot :rolleyes:
2. Hercules: He is not afraid to go the extra mile to save Meg. This is demonstrated when he swims as far as he can in the River Styx to get Meg's soul back. :wink:
1. Eric: Yet another male who isn't afraid to save the one he likes the most (i.e Ariel) :big_grin:

Slackbot

Reaction score
Archie comics was very courageous with their Kevin Keeler character, and thankfully there was more positive feedback than negative. And the negative feedback got much, MUCH more negative feedback from everyone else. it also sent the message that the lamest, least hip comic book company, one that's so litigious about the purity of the characters that they forbid fan fiction and sued an inoffensive rock duo for using one of the character names... a comic company that published Christian Archie comics... even they can accept gays.
That was my exact reaction. Squeaky-clean Riverdale? We're talking about a company that, like you said, forbids fanfic, and stayed out of that scary Civil Rights business. I'd never have expected someone like Kevin from them. I buy the Kevin Keller comics because I want to thank them with some dollars. And, surprisingly, the Kevin comics aren't lame and sucky the way I remember the Archie comics being. (Occasionally they're preachy, though...) I'm sad to hear that the series is ending this summer, but they've said that they have plans for the character; Kevin ain't gonna fade away.

Someone has to have the guts to take a chance. Archie comics did, and fan reaction has been overwhelmingly supportive. Kevin's debut was in Veronica #202, which was reprinted. That's the first time ever they've done a second printing of an issue! And do you remember Sesame Street? Once upon a time it was controversial to show black and white kids playing together as if color didn't matter. But on SS they went ahead and did just that. They took a chance. And there were objections, and nowadays the objections sound ridiculous. But if people didn't risk challenging the status quo, nothing would ever have changed.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Good choices Mad Monty fan, but watch your language in future posts.

Mad Monty fan

Reaction score
Here's my top 3 list of Disney heroes whose life risking to save those that are important to them:
3. Belle: Even though the Beast was hostile towards her at first, i was so touched when she sacrificed herself to save him from being killed by Gaston. That's a girl who knows how to make the right choice and when to make it. :smile:
2. Anna: Much like with the case of Belle, this putting-your-life-on-the-line moment involved the main heroine, the antagonist, and the one who is about to be killed by the antagonist.
1. Pocahontas: Her putting-your-life-on-the-line moment is exactly similar and reminds me of that of the ones with Anna and Belle, though it's more similar to Belle's sacrifice than it is Anna's.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That was my exact reaction. Squeaky-clean Riverdale? We're talking about a company that, like you said, forbids fanfic, and stayed out of that scary Civil Rights business. I'd never have expected someone like Kevin from them. I buy the Kevin Keller comics because I want to thank them with some dollars. And, surprisingly, the Kevin comics aren't lame and sucky the way I remember the Archie comics being. (Occasionally they're preachy, though...) I'm sad to hear that the series is ending this summer, but they've said that they have plans for the character; Kevin ain't gonna fade away.
They're probably good. It's just not something I really read. When it comes to Archie, I only really read their Sonic and Mega Man lines. By the way, they actually tried to make Rotor the Walrus a gay character. And this was years before Kevin came on the scene. That went over well with Sega as you could guess. Someone should take the first step, but it requires a HUGE level of bravery against the loud, scary types. And considering this is Disney, their movies have to be imported to other countries of which have far less liberal (and some much more kill-y) attitudes about the matter. Someone mentioned Paranorman? I was very pleased that they managed to make the character as far from a stereotype as possible. Plus, that was one heck of a punchline.

Besides that, I really want to see more of Wreck it Ralph/Lilo and Stitch/Emperor's New Groove type movies. That's why I actually like Pixar better. Not that they don't all have their own thread of similarity, but they have original stories(as in they created the story and characters vs adapting a fairy tale) that don't need royalty. Brave was essentially the only one. Kinda disappointed about Good Dinosaur being delayed (not happy with why it's delayed either)... though in a summer full of Godzilla and Grimlock, maybe waiting for a Dinosaur based movie isn't a terrible idea.

As for why it took them so long to get an African American princess... well... fairy tales as far as us westerners know it all come from (or were popularized in) Europe... white guy central. Why can't they at least come up with their own fairy tales?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Fun fact: L. Frank Baum wrote his Oz book (and other books) in an effort to create American fairy tales. And there are interesting tales that originated in Africa, but somehow I don't expect to see Disney announcing a feature about Anansi.

One thing I love about Pixar films is that they aren't love stories. They are not driven by some big-eyed teenager's mindless adoration for a guy she has no reason to even like. Sexual love may be an element, but it's secondary. Flik and Atta grew together during the events of A Bug's Life, but the motivator was the need to protect the colony and their relationship developed out of that. With Disney, ain't every story a freakin' love story? Which made it such a strange year when Wreck-it Ralph and Brave hit the screens--I heard it remarked that that year Disney did a Pixar film and Pixar did a Disney film.

If I had my way, there'd be gay characters in more media, and there wouldn't be so much noise about it because it wouldn't be considered shocking. If Kevin Keller is going to become a regular cast member rather than being quarantined in his own series, then great. (I won't buy it because I find regular Archie comics to be stoopid, but still.) Just treat him like anyone else rather than making him "the gay character." Everyone agonizes about their dates and proms and such, no matter what their orientation, and when you get right down to it he's a guy like any other guy; he just happens to date other guys.

Drtooth

Reaction score
One thing I love about Pixar films is that they aren't love stories. They are not driven by some big-eyed teenager's mindless adoration for a guy she has no reason to even like. Sexual love may be an element, but it's secondary. Flik and Atta grew together during the events of A Bug's Life, but the motivator was the need to protect the colony and their relationship developed out of that. With Disney, ain't every story a freakin' love story? Which made it such a strange year when Wreck-it Ralph and Brave hit the screens--I heard it remarked that that year Disney did a Pixar film and Pixar did a Disney film.
I'll give this for Disney love stories... know what's worse? The love stories in every other kid's movie. Disney knows it's audience at least, and it has business plans for every female character. When you look at these live action adaptions of cartoons, they're rife with completely useless romantic plot tumors. Now, I'll give them Garfield... Jon Arbuckle was going after Liz for years until Jim Davis felt that was a little too cruel (certainly couldn't have been an issue of overusing jokes). Naturally, that's what the first Garfield was about, it just sucked because Jon was poorly cast and all the things that made Jon the funniest character in the franchise was violently taken away. We got Stepford Arbuckle. The First Chipmunks movie, understandably, had Dave going after a woman who suspiciously looked like Janice Karmine. Fine... acceptible,... second film rolls around, we have to care about Dave's loser relative falling in love with the Chipmunks' teacher for no apparent reason that comes out of nowhere, didn't add anything to the plot, in a film that had an organic romance between 3 sets of Chipmunk couples. Rocky and Bullwinkle (while I love the movie otherwise) had the useless female character fall in love with a prison guard (which sadly at least had the angle of she was trying to trick him at first, but she was a totally useless character the movie didn't need). And Yogi Bear. The movie which i have beaten a dead horse into the ground into powder complaining... Poorly cast Ranger Smith falls in love with a Mary Sue who's only importance in the plot is that she has a camera so the bad guy can do one of those LAME confessions that everyone sees.

ALL added in cynically so that girls will drop their Bratz dolls and Beiber CD's to enjoy what should be gender neutral characters, because they're apparently too emotional to not want a half-donkeyed love story shoved in. Say what you will about the Smurfs films, but there's one thing they got right. They made the human couple already married!

For the record, there is romance in some Pixar films (Wall*E, Up, Incredibles). They're just not the main focus of the story, and even then are dealt with elegantly and subtly.

BeakerJanice

Reaction score
Out of all the three soldiers in Mulan, i defiently relate to Chien Po. Even though i'm not fat, i relate to him for this reason: the now i really wish that i knew how to swim line in I'll Make A Man Out of You. That was me as a kid. I also relate to Ling and Yao, but not nearly as good as i relate to Chien Po.
You do? :wink: Well,I think I relate most to Ling :smile: *cough* *little crush*

BeakerJanice

Reaction score
For faves,I go with
1)Mulan.I know she still isn't a princess because she's not married with a prince and Li Shang doesn't count!But she's strong,has a good singing voice and well,she is very good as boy XD And I love the boys Yao,Ling and Chien po as woman and as boys <3
2)Ariel.She has such a cute voice and she is very pretty!
3)Snow white.WOW!The old disney singers have pretty voices and are that beautiful..And she's also nice to everyone
4)Cinderella I only say ,,If the shoe fits" :smile:
5)Elsa&Anna.Both pretty and strong!They don't have to need men <3