Why are Elmo, Zoe, Rosita and Baby Bear so annoying to classic SS fans?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays
. though the American Society of Pediatrics or whatever says your kid shouldn't be watching ANY television until the age of two.
EXACTLY!!! They dumb stuff down so some 1 year olds can watch tv.. they can bearly see colors and solid shapes by that age... :rolleyes:

That's why we're force fed junk like Teletubbies and Barney the Dinosaur:eek:

SillyRed

Reaction score
"Elmo wants to play a game"
How he does third person talk is funny!!

CookieFan

Reaction score
That whole AAP guideline about kids not watching TV until they're 2 is silly. Obviously whoever made that suggestion has never tried to cook dinner with an 18 month old running wild in the kitchen!

I have to admit that I let my kid watch too much TV sometimes. Especially with this blizzard we just had, can't go out to the playground.

Personally, I don't find Elmo referring to himself in the 3rd person particularly funny. Supposedly toddlers don't understand pronouns and refer to themselves in the 3rd person, which is what Elmo does, but my kid knows the word "MINE" very well!

Hays

Reaction score
Well, you know, they're all doctors and can afford nannies and cooks! (We'd also never eat if not for TV)

Funny - Cookie Monster in third person I find hysterical, Elmo not so much. Just personal preference, I guess.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I used to kinda like Elmo, though as Byron said, in small doses. Once Elmo's World came on and monopolized half the show, I lost all my tolerance for Elmo. Rosita I'm a little ambivalent about. She doesn't do much for me, but usually she doesn't particularly annoy me either. Baby Bear is the one I absolutely cannot stand. Listening to him is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Sesame Street is still good, but I just think that it was at its best when I was growing up. But then, I'm probably nostalgically biased! :wink:
Erin

Mr. Looper

Reaction score
To me part of the charm of the classics was the variety, whenever I get a chance to watch SS now half of it is elmo. I like elmo but really the fun of the classic show was a minute or 2 of something and move on to the next. Maybe this has something to do with the criticism by many that TV ruins the attention span of kids and that quick short segments are the bane of proper education. But frankly I think they'd have short attention spans anyway and that quicker shorter segments is the only way to keep them interested. I turn off elmo's world now and I've only seen it 2 or 3 times.

Hoop

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr. Looper
To me part of the charm of the classics was the variety, whenever I get a chance to watch SS now half of it is elmo. I like elmo but really the fun of the classic show was a minute or 2 of something and move on to the next. Maybe this has something to do with the criticism by many that TV ruins the attention span of kids and that quick short segments are the bane of proper education.
You are dead on right Mr. Looper... so, I...uh...gee... what was I saying anyway? Oh Yeah! I'm on the chicken vs. pork discussion board! It's the other white meat and that's the last you'll hear from me!

Just kidding!:wink:

Yeah, you miss the thrill of seeing what comes next! If a cartoon or skit scared you, you'd jump out of the chair, and change the Channel at that point, now it's so structured, you almost fall asleep before it.

Hays

Reaction score
OK, I should also add here that, nostalgia notwithstanding, I HATED Sesame Street in the early 90's. I much prefer the current batch of Muppets to those two insanely annoying monkeys, and the current cast to that perky dance instructor! I'll take a two-hour Elmo special over that clan!

It does help to see it through the eyes of a toddler, though there is a limit to the amount of repetition even for that age!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays
OK, I should also add here that, nostalgia notwithstanding, I HATED Sesame Street in the early 90's.
Well the early 90's were a darkened horrible time for the Muppets/JHC in general. But I get to see some of the new Sesame on dvds and vhs(my birds loves the stuff, so I rent em at the local ibrary) I love Telly...I cant say enough good things about him. I think and him Baby Bear work great, heck I love em all.
IMHO, Elmopalooza...best Sesame thing Ive seen in ages.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I don't find any of the characters annoying. Maybe because, they were around when I was little.