Why Are We Muppet Fans?

Pug Lover

Reaction score
You might say I've been a muppet fan since nursery school,where there were two muppet hand puppet imatations.One of Oscar and the other of Cookie Monster.I always liked to play with them.My parents eventually bought me my own copies of the same two puppets.

Being kind of a late bloomer,those two puppets where how I first saw Oscar and Cookie Monster.It wasn't until I reached the age of three or four that I became aware of Sesame Street,and came to know all of the other muppet characters.

I even began collecting thick plastic hand puppet muppet imatations that were sold seperatley in stores and made by MATEL.Ones I had were Ernie,Bert,The Count,Grover and Big Bird.Then came The Muppet Show.

To make a long story short,I've always been fascinated by muppets.They're no ordinary puppets that's for sure.So full of personality.They make Mr.Rogers' puppets look so tame in comparison.No offence to good ol'Fred Rogers of course.

I had always wanted to see real muppets.My wish was fulfilled back in the summer of 1988,when I toured the Smithsonian Museum of American History in Washington DC,where a real muppet of Kermit was displayed.

Incidently the two puppets of Oscar and Cookie Monster on either side of Kermit in my avatar,are not the same ones I refer to in this post.Unfortunately those ones have been long gone since I was 10 years old.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When I look back now, what I admire about The Muppets is how they managed to combine sentimentality with irreverence.

One minute they could be touching and sweet, the next violent and insane. And even when they were sweet, it wasn't just "cutesy", it was adult and meaningful.

The Muppets in many ways represent the anti-establishment spirit of the 1960s. It seems Jim Henson wanted to be rebellious and create characters and sketches that broke the rules. On the other hand, Jim also embraced traditional moral values.

Btw, that's why I don't really count most of the newer projects. I'm not going to pretend I'm watching The Muppets when I'm not.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Btw, that's why I don't really count most of the newer projects. I'm not going to pretend I'm watching The Muppets when I'm not.
I completely agree with you on that point.

Kiki

Reaction score
I think I was just born a Muppet Lover. None of my family members are fans (even though they know the name of practically every muppeteer just by living with me :wink: ) and I see how I can love them so. But as I said, I've been a Muppet fan since I was born and I have been aware of Jim Henson nearly all my life! I just, love all the craziness and mayhem and I yet I find it so... clever. It's a real shame they don't have that kinda stuff on TV today. :concern:

And I love this forum because it's where Muppets fans can all unite.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I grew up on Sesame Street, (not literally, of course) so I was instantly hooked on the Muppet characters. I was a loner growing up, so SS and later The Muppet Show along with Fraggle Rock and all of the Muppet or Henson produced movies became an escape from the real world.
I could also relate to certain Muppets in some way or another, especially Kermit and Ernie.

Saironi

Reaction score
I often think to myself whenever I watch the Muppet Show DVDs is that I would have liked to work with those people. ^_^

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Because of my 4th grade teacher who showed me MCC. I didn't exactly watch the film, but at the end she talked about Jim Henson and how he died before this film was made, and that got me interested in Jim so I put him on the wikipedia search, and BOOM muppet fan created.

BeakerJanice

Reaction score
I am a muppet fan,because they are so funnyI loved Sesame Street as a child and now the muppets!!And some muppets...aww they are just so cute :smile: :wink: and they are really lovebale!!!

Also I loved the sketches especially,,Muppet Labs" :eek: :confused: