Why aren't Oscar and Telly ever on anymore?

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I'll re-read all the other previous replies later on, but as far as Brian's characters go, I think he (and Kevin) did a decent job with Clementine, but Camille's was the best, no doubt.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Three different performers were needed to take over for Brian's characters. That doesn't say "not diverse" to me.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The only character I didn’t mind too much was Nobel Price..... that’s about it.
Even though you might not have liked most of the characters or voices Brian did, hopefully you don't have any disrespect to him as a person. From the interviews that I've seen with him, he seems like a funny guy.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Of course not. At the end of the day puppeteering just wasn’t for him and I’m glad he found something he enjoys more.

Last edited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When they reduced the characters to a core seven (with the rest being more secondary now), Oscar was one of the "main seven". Now he's only been in a few new episodes this season? They must have dropped the core focus further.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Well Oscar and Grover share the same performer remember that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Right. This is the exact reason why when they were recasting Frank's characters, they opted to have different performers for Grover and Cookie Monster to make using both characters in the same scene easier for everybody, because otherwise, three different performers would have to perform Frank's characters while he did each of their voices, either live in the studio, in post, and all of them lip-syncing to pre-recorded audio tracks.

This also made for an interesting LOTD segment back in the mid-2000s where Frank started off doing Cookie, then afterwards he switched to Super Grover while David did Cookie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I didn't think that each of the main seven would have to be together that frequently. But since season 46, when they limited the main cast to Big Bird, Oscar, Elmo, Cookie, Grover, Abby, and Rosita, have there been many street stories that equally involve all seven of them?

Even with seven Muppets chosen as the main characters, I figured most episodes would be missing at least one of them in the street story. I didn't think Grover had to be over every street story this season (or that Oscar would have to). Grover and Oscar made plenty of appearances in seasons 46-50, some of which were when Caroll Spinney was still primarily voicing Oscar (so Eric had a main character he was performing and voicing in addition to a main character he was usually just performing).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think the concept of a "Core Six/Seven" cast is that these six/seven specific Muppet characters are the ones mostly likely to be featured in any of the street stories during a season, not that all six/seven of them will be featured in every street story of a season.

But even so, corporate research has suggested that kids can better handle smaller casts of characters, since most of the competing kids shows in that target demographic usually have a cast of an average of maybe three or more main characters, hence why SS has since adopted this Core Six/Seven concept - not to mention why we only have three regular human cast members now of just Alan, Chris, and Nina.