Why did MFS and EIG bomb so bad?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The reason The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland bombed is because people don't like Elmo. It's as simple as that. But that makes me wonder... would modern Muppet movies have done better without Pepe? I LIKE Pepe like a lot of people, but sometimes I think of him as like the Elmo of the non-Sesame Muppets.
Elmo in Grouchland wasn't made for us. Again, I have nothing but suspicions that it was a commercial, like Transformers (I reiterate, the GOOD one with Eric Idle dancing around to Dare to Be Stupid, not the Michael Bay one)... while the SW people tried to make it more than what it was, seems like Sony slapped them back. But I have to say, it was a fine Elmo project. The fact he sort of matures and emotes makes it a million times better than the over-exposure of the rigid 15 minute segments SW painted themselves into a corner with. Of course, making a movie expressly for 4 and under people? Not a smart move, no matter how popular the toys were.

As for the Guest on MFS, and all Muppet Movies:

The Jim-era films used to have a sprinkling of all types of stars and character actors. He could inspire the best to get involved. This is one heck of a list, an is in many ways unfair to the new trilogy because nobody can live up to this legacy. Except for Hollywood Hulk Hogan.
Over time, I have to say, I grown on the Hulkster Cameo.... it really seemed campy, and almost out of place, and really it felt like someone wanted to pimp out the dMp... errr... nWo... but it has a corniness that makes me laugh. Plus, I like the Hulkster... not as much as Captain Lou or Andre the Giant....

I REALLY ahted the Dawson's Creek bit and I really REALLY hated Rob Schnider... I mean, Rob Schnider sucks! He really, really, really does. South Park was DEAD ON about him and his movies, man. Ewwwwwwww...

There are a lot of cameos I really didn't like in the newer movies... I didn't like the Scrubs one... not so much for the cast. I love Scrubs, man... but the writing of that scene was terrible, a total ignorance of the show. Compare that with the Sesame Street cross over Scrubs episode.... that was EPIC, man. Imagine if they had the TMS Muppets integrated into J.D.'s fantasies.... we'd have Statler and Waldorf heckling everybody... funny stuff. Not like how they treated it as a generic hospital show.

And I'm glad the Kelly Osborne thing was cut from the TV version of Oz...

On the other hand, I thought that Quentin Tarrentino's cameo was the best thing in the movie.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Welcome back, Snowth. What's happening with the next Muppet theatrical film is anyone's guess, but they are now shooting the Muppet Halloween special for this year. So nothing's getting shelved. Specials are probably the best way to start. Why do you think Disney's axing the Muppets? Maybe that will happen down the line (I hope not) but we are seeing the "push" the NY Times article promised last year.
Are you sure the Halloween thing is being filmed.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think...just throwing another two cents, and my hat into the ring, that one thing that made these films less likeable was the shock factor caused by MFS Pepe becoming the second or Third main character (I was mad with him for years for all that scene stealing, when I didn't even know who he was! Now I know who he is, I like his scene stealing. But then...gah!) Same with Elmo for Grouchyland. Classic fans wanted Bird, Oscar and Maria to be doing more than getting stuck in a trashcan, then a grouchy prison.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the Halloween thing is being filmed.
Unless something has happened in the last month or so it's still on. Have you heard something to the contrary? This basically says they're either shooting now, soon or have already shot it.

Muppet Newsflash -
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Muppets' Halloween Special Coming this Fall

Earlier this year it was reported that Disney's Muppets Studio was looking at the possibility of producing a Halloween special starring the Muppets. I have received word that Disney is developing the idea and a Muppet Halloween special is planned for this fall. The details of the special are being kept tightly under wraps, however the word is that the Muppet crew will begin filming in the next month!

The all-new haunting television special is planned to debut this fall on an undisclosed network. I will be sure to keep you updated as soon as details are confirmed and more information becomes available. However fans should be prepared to enjoy a spooky Halloween adventure with Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Miss Piggy and the gang on television this fall.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know... the more I think about it, the only Muppet movies not to be dated in some way or another are MCC and MTI... period pieces, mind you.

Unless something has happened in the last month or so it's still on. Have you heard something to the contrary? This basically says they're either shooting now, soon or have already shot it.
I guess he's skeptical because of that "Election Special" that was announced a week before it was supposed to air. All and all, I'm glad they never did that one. This Halloween special looks like they're taking their time on it. If there's one thing that would have done LTS more good, it would have been more time in development.

dwayne1115

Reaction score

Muppet Newsflash -
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Muppets' Halloween Special Coming this Fall

Earlier this year it was reported that Disney's Muppets Studio was looking at the possibility of producing a Halloween special starring the Muppets. I have received word that Disney is developing the idea and a Muppet Halloween special is planned for this fall. The details of the special are being kept tightly under wraps, however the word is that the Muppet crew will begin filming in the next month!

The all-new haunting television special is planned to debut this fall on an undisclosed network. I will be sure to keep you updated as soon as details are confirmed and more information becomes available. However fans should be prepared to enjoy a spooky Halloween adventure with Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Miss Piggy and the gang on television this fall.
No, It just we have not heard anything in a few months.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And to whoever said that the cameos in MFS were dated, I direct you towards the Ed Koch cameo in MTM. The filmmakers must have known that he wouldn't be mayor forever, and considering what a godawful mayor he was, why promote him by including him in the film?
Well no one is saying there can't be any dated references in a movie. But people will remember that Ed Koch was a NYC mayor. But many of those celebrities from MFS will never achieved that elusive "classic" status. :wink:

Plus the overall MFS film is too entrenched in trying to seem hip and cool and '90s. The original three films had some indications of being from the '70s and '80s, but they were incidental; the real emphasis is on the plot and character and message. Plus they used classic humor that had been used for decades and still never gets old. I honestly can't say the same for MFS.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plus the overall MFS film is too entrenched in trying to seem hip and cool and '90s. The original three films had some indications of being from the '70s and '80s, but they were incidental; the real emphasis is on the plot and character and message. Plus they used classic humor that had been used for decades and still never gets old. I honestly can't say the same for MFS.
I still think the director was to blame. It wasn't so much that it was trying to be cool or hip so much as the director thought that it had to look extremely mundane, because mundane made it realistic. Even MTI and MCC both made in the same era had an awesome film like scope that was in tact with all the other movies. I really wonder what was so bad about that other director they had to get someone who's idea of vision is making Garfield a CGI realism/cartoon cross bread, and making every other animal real with super imposed mouths.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I still think the director was to blame. It wasn't so much that it was trying to be cool or hip so much as the director thought that it had to look extremely mundane, because mundane made it realistic. Even MTI and MCC both made in the same era had an awesome film like scope that was in tact with all the other movies. I really wonder what was so bad about that other director they had to get someone who's idea of vision is making Garfield a CGI realism/cartoon cross bread, and making every other animal real with super imposed mouths.
I really think you've hit the nail on the head there with Tim Hill. However, I did like Alvin and the Chipmunks as a guilty pleasure. He's not returning as the squeakuel's director.

I do like seeing the Muppets doing their everyday sort of thing, but it must be juxtaposed to the extraordinary for the humor to occur. Otherwise it's just Kermit painting a house. I know he avoided parody in favor of a firmer grip on reality, but this is the Muppets. Parody is great as long as it's classic material and not dated like the bargain-basement cameos used in the picture. (I must admit Ray Liotta's portion did get a laugh from me.)

I will also admit MFS is kind of fun to play on home video because it's like the Muppets are there in my house lounging around and not doing much. However, I could hear crickets chirping in the theater opening day. Kermit would have had a feast.

I would have liked to see a special take place inside the boarding house and nothing even spoken about space. That would have been fun.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Muppets From Space went up aganist some huge competition. Will Smith was a huge box office star (still is, but in the late 90s, man he was huge) and he was coming out with Wild Wild West. South Park was still at it's peak of popularity and they released South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut and of course Star Wars: Episode one, which I don't think I need to explain, :big_grin:. Even though the Muppets are beloved pop culture icons, they really didn't have much of a change against competition that for movie ticket buyers.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think Columbia did all they could do either to make it seem like this is a movie worth seeing, you know as far as advertising. To me, it's like they figured the word Muppets alone would sell and make people want to go out and see it.