Why Floyd Is The Hippest Of The Hip

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
(I don't know how keen the bassman would be on a thread called "Why We Love Floyd".)

But why is Floyd just so awesome?

To say that Floyd (and the rest of the band) are somewhat otherworldly is an understatement. The Electric Mayhem are often in two places at one time: the here and now, playing and hanging out in the Muppet Theatre or anywhere else their pals are at, and they're also out in their own little world at the same time. This is most obvious when two or more members of the band are conversing with one another for more than a minute at a time. This nature is what draws so many people to the Electric Mayhem. We want to be like them...in our own world but at the same time being in the real world...and being able to be in both worlds simultaneously. Can you get behind it?

Floyd, however, is such a standout for several reasons. For one, he's the one who seems to know the most about what's going on. He's sort of the band's representative, the most verbal of the bunch. He's not afraid to stand for what he believes in, be it over playing the theme or being replaced by a machine (see Dudley Moore's episode).

He's also everything he says he is. Definitely the hippest of the hip. He's so cool that I'm surprised snowstorms don't start when he's in a room. He's too hip for his own good and he knows it too...but he just doesn't care because he's happy that way. He could probably tell you about a band 10 years before they hit it big and then he'll be the first to tell you they've sold out after they do, and has no tolerance for squares.

However, Floyd is more multilayered than people think. Under his hip persona and his sarcastic nature, we see a true artist. A character who is passionate about two things: his music, and of course, Janice. This side of Floyd, although not revealed often, has been shown. One instance of this was in Linda Carter's episode of "The Muppet Show", where he delivers a soulful rendition of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (a version that in my opinion eclipses the Beatles' original). And if Jerry's reading this, that was one of his best vocal performances ever. There are also other times where he's been seen arm in arm with Janice, and he's quick to defend her when Gonzo snaps at her in "The Muppets Take Manhattan". Also, in "The Muppets Go To The Movies", he even kisses her on the cheek after they play "Act Naturally" together.

Floyd is a guy who rarely exposes his personal, outgoing side, yet sometimes he can't help it, whether singing in an ensemble or cuddling with Janice. We all can't sometimes. That's just one of the reasons why he's so cool. And not only that, he's a terrific singer and bass player too.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I agree. It's too bad Floyd hasn't been seen too often in later years. I really enjoy playing him in the role-playing game. It's too bad he hasn't been seen too often in later years.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great summary TravellingMatt. Really nice. Floyd is one of my favorites. Jerry puts so much soul and funk in the character.

If you'd like to submit your above work for a Rarely Seen Muppets article on Floyd you can do so at the link below...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/submit.shtml

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
ya i agree that floyd represents the band. he is also the most well rounded character of the electric mayhem. always open minded about doing whatever gig he and the rest of the band have to do. and always there to make fun of the "pig" when he wants to, or trying to get away from piggys dog foo foo. an all around cool hipster.

ryan

Thijs

Reaction score
And his jokes are better then Fozzie`s:smile:

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
Oh yeah! This is my kinda thread.

Floyd is gweat. He is one of those types of people who possess the ability to be both cool and hot at the same time. [Fangirl moment] OMG, like he iz SOOOOOOOO totally kewl! [/Fangirl moment] Had to get that out of my system. Floyd talks cool, sings cool, does everything else cool, is cool, etc. Plus, he's sexy. For me, it's the eyes. Those big, pretty eyes. wth894 84tht83wb

~We apologize for the random* typing. The stupid author of the post suddenly swooned and hit her head on the keyboard. She has been sacked.~

*Edit- It's a sad day when I mistype the word random.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by TravellingMatt
A character who is passionate about two things: his music, and of course, Janice. This side of Floyd, although not revealed often, has been shown. One instance of this was in Linda Carter's episode of "The Muppet Show", where he delivers a soulful rendition of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (a version that in my opinion eclipses the Beatles' original). And if Jerry's reading this, that was one of his best vocal performances ever.
I agree completely! His rendition blew the original away completely!

"There there, baby. Don't cry. Yeah..."

Floyd most deffenitely is "the hippest of the hip!" No wonder he's got a "room for life at the home of the chronically groovy!"

And about his jokes, cruuuuuuuude! Yet, very funny.

"Wow! Miss Piggy, you must weigh at least a ton!"
"Well, that's good. That means she's lost weight!"

"Hey, did you know Miss Piggy is veeeery worried about Kermit?"
"Worried abotu Kermit? Why?"
"Well, she's afraid he'll take her for granite?"

And of course, his signature laugh and walk. The dude is the coolest.

monkeymuppet

Reaction score
My favorite Muppet quote ever is said by Floyd when he's talking to Foo Foo
"Breathe through the key hole turkey dog!"

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
I just saw that a coupla days ago! :smile:
I thought it was phunny when he got hiya'd by Miss Piggy later on.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
:smile: :"I gotta go introduce Diane Cannon. Take care of Foo Foo, Scooter."
:wink: :"I gotta tell Diane she's on. Take care of Foo Foo, Fozzie."
:embarrassed: :"Hey, listen! Uh, I got a date with a polar bear... uh, take care of Foo Foo, Gonzo."
:concern: :"*gasp* I've got an anvil in the oven! Take care of Foo Foo Floyd."
:sing: :"Yeah, well, I got the whoopin' cough! Take care of Foo Foo, will ya'... Oh, no."
"Bark!"