Why is Dr. Teeth thought of as the Electric Mayhem leader?

golden teeth

Reaction score
to PsychoChimp

I think Floyd and Dr. Teeth were used the same season 1.

Dr. Teeth had a speaking appearance in

2.Connie Stevens
3.Joel Grey
6.Jim Nabors
10.Harvey Korman
16.Avery Schrieber
18.Phyllis Diller
20.Valerie Harper

and Floyd was in

2.Connie Stevens
4.Ruth Buzzi
7.Florence Henderson
10.Harvey Korman
16.Avery Schrieber
20.Valerie Harper
23.Kaye Ballard
24.Mummenshanz

If you actually counted all of the appearances on the show Floyd has about 65-70, Janice has about 70-75, Animal was in about 60-65, Zoot was in 40-45 and Dr. Teeth was in 30-35.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
PhsychoChimp said:
Actually, Dr.Teeth is used more than Floyd in the First season.
It goes
Zoot
Janice
Animal
Dr.Teeth
Floyd
It wasn't till towards the end of the first season, Floyd was made into hippie he is now.
Also, Dr.Teeth is a much more complicated character to preform. With the sunglasses and the live hands. Plus, he's possibly the leader, for the fact Jim Henson voiced him.
He's also heaiver in wight then the others. And to hold that over your head for long periods of time can get kinda straining, ya know?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems like Dr. Teeth was more of the lead singer in the first season than in later seasons. In most first season Electric Mayhem numbers he was the lead singer, and usually the only member to get solo vocals. Floyd sang lead vocals in a few first season numbers. Also, Floyd wasn't a very major backstage character in the first season, with his biggest backstage role being in the Kaye Ballard episode, the second to last episode of the first season. After that, Floyd was a main backstage character.

Oddly enough, Floyd was also a main backstage character in The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence. And Floyd was more major than Dr. Teeth there. Dr. Teeth only appeared in music numbers in that special, but Floyd even introduced their acts (Nigel could have introduced them, since he was the host).

And I think Dr. Teeth had more leadership involvement in the movies, especially The Muppet Movie and The Muppets Take Manhattan (he had his own solo song, You Can't Take No For an Answer, and it was he who wrote the Electric Mayhem's post card to Kermit, narrarating the post card and also in before Kermit reads it he says "Here's one more, it's from Dr. Teeth").

BEAR

Reaction score
But you know that if anything happened to Dr. Teeth, Floyd would be next in command. Floyd's presents might have seemed more on the show because he was Jerry Nelson's one and only what I would consider principle character.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Well, they're often referred to as "Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem" on the Muppet Show. My guess is because Jim performed Dr. Teeth, and is seen as the "leader" of the Muppets.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I always saw it like this, Dr. Teeth is the official leader of the band, but he's much too easy-going and groovy to go around acting like it. Floyd, on the other hand, easily gets frustrated when things aren't cool and speaks his mind.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I keep thinking that Dr. Teeth sould have joined Floyd and Animal when they interracted with Dudley Moore in his dressing room. Kermit wasn't in that scene, so it is not like Jim Henson was busy performing another character.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I always saw it like this, Dr. Teeth is the official leader of the band, but he's much too easy-going and groovy to go around acting like it most of the time. Floyd, on the other hand, easily gets frustrated when things aren't cool and speaks his mind.

Marky

Reaction score
Animal's drumset has "Dr. Teeth" on it.
Clearly, he's the leader in The Muppet Movie too, don't forget.
(The Muppet Movie mayhem scene is one of my all-time favourite muppet moments ever, with my favourite muppet song ever!)

:big_grin: