Why the Wizaord of Oz?

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the Wizard of Oz is referenced so many times in KSY?

I thought the "Ever since I saw the Wizard of Oz, I wanted to be a scientist" bit was kind of cute, but doesn't a running gag have to be funny?

I've watched KSY several times, and that part has me baffled every time. Is there some "in" thing that I don't know about?

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Capt,

The Wizard of Oz was the first movie Jim Henson watched, And one of his favorites.

Maybe its that?

matleo

Reaction score
I think they are trying to reference the fact that "Oz" was the first movie that Jim Henson saw as a kid. But if that's the case in an in-joke that not only deosn't work but really makes the characters annoying. For some reason that lab assistant is just TOO stupid to be a character I sympathize with and they go back and forth between making the pet shop owner a good guy who cares about animals and a bad guy who grabs them roughly and throughs them around. KSY needed a little more work in the scrpit department if you ask me.

--Matt

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

That makes sense because I checked the Internet Movie Database and saw that just about every Muppet movie has some reference to "The Wizard of Oz."

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Originally posted by Daffyfan2002
That makes sense because I checked the Internet Movie Database and saw that just about every Muppet movie has some reference to "The Wizard of Oz."
Well, if the whole "rainbow" theme in TMM wasn't a dead giveaway to that...

-Kim

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I have to agree with that, Kim. Whenever I here the first line in "The Rainbow Connection: Why are there so many songs about rainbows?" I immediately think of "Somewhere over the rainbow." Come to think of it. I don't know too many other songs about rainbows.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Maybe there are more songs about Rainbows in the swamp where Kerm grew up, with Goggles (1 badly made puppet) and Crocker (An even worse made puppet) or and Blotch (who looks like Mr Blooby)

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well...maybe it was a hint. As now, several years later, we have a Muppet Wizard of Oz! Which has no rainbow in it if I remember correctly?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
The funny thing is on the "Wizard of Oz" Special 3 disc DVD Jim's daughter talks about OZ. (Not the muppet one.)