Why? ! WHY? !

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
On another note...

I remember an old late night television interview with Ted Turner (the man responsible for colorizing so many classic black and white movies). Arsenio Hall (remember him) asked why he was colorizing classic films? Ted's reply was that black and white "isn't cool anymore" as his reasoning. (cringe) :mad:

It's a horrid practice. One that visionary Orson Welles took into account when writing his will - even though the technology hadn't been created. You won't see his work marred in such a way. Welles held a long distrust of studios and knew it would eventually happen. :wink:

On another note, Ray Harryhausen is colorizing some of his old films. He's releasing both versions, but always intended them to be in color. I was on the fence about it, but viewed one and it was interesting. I'm a purist when it comes to film. Directors can make all of the after-the-fact alterations in an additional alternate director's cut and I'll be happy as long as the cherished version we remember in theaters is available in its original state.

My distaste for cropping films aside, I feel that in any case of reformatting, the original should always be made available. :attitude:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And in most recent widescreen films--or at least those with The Muppets--have offered both widescreen and full screen versions, so that both sides will be satisfied.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I remember an old late night television interview with Ted Turner (the man responsible for colorizing so many classic black and white movies). Arsenio Hall (remember him) asked why he was colorizing classic films? Ted's reply was that black and white "isn't cool anymore" as his reasoning. (cringe) :mad:

It's a horrid practice. One that visionary Orson Welles took into account when writing his will - even though the technology hadn't been created. You won't see his work marred in such a way. Welles held a long distrust of studios and knew it would eventually happen. :wink:
Welles passed away right at the dawn of colorization...1985. But he did specify that Citizen Kane and his other B&W films be left alone, and to never fall into the hands of "Ted Turner and his d***** Crayolas."

Around this time, a lot of Hollywood legends were fortunately still around, and several went to Washington to fight Colorization, including Frank Capra, James Stewart, Cary Grant and Hal Roach.

At least Turner has given us Turner Classic Movies, a channel that proudly announces the films are broadcast the way they were meant to be seen: uncut, commercial free, in their OAR and in black and white (if originally photographed that way).

For some reason Columbia is releasing new DVDs of random Three Stooges shorts, proudly proclaiming on the packaging "now in color!" Of course, the B&W films are also included, but each disc, which contains about 4 shorts each, retails at $24.95. The odd thing is, Columbia is still manufacturing these discs, while earlier this fall, the studio started releasing the black and white shorts in chronological order, remastered and cleaned up, for LESS (in many stores) than their colorized series.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think Turner eventually zeroed-in on what he grew to understand was a niche market for classic preserved films. Maybe the colorization backlash helped. It's funny that the man has had a very long career (CNN, cable entertainment, Jane Fonda etc) that continues to this day, but I best remember him for that quote on colorization!

I do not like how Disney has handled the cropped and widescreen inclusions on the DVD releases of Muppet films as they compress both versions on one disc that degrades the image quality and remove many (if not all) of the special features options. The new releases marking Kermit's 50th anniversary are notorious with fans for being substandard compared to the content of prior releases. :sympathy:

I really would like dual disc releases of the films and was expecting a higher quality production for the Disney branded reissues. Maybe when they go to blu-ray. I don't think anything comes cropped in the blu-ray format unless it was shot that way.

However, Columbia Tri-Star's latest reissue of Muppets From Space removes the widescreen version altogether thus making it more kid friendly. :confused:

Once the Muppets go blu, so will I. The rights for all 6 Muppet films fall under companies that exclusively release all hi-def through blu-ray. My partner’s got a PS3/blu-ray and it is simply amazing! Rumor is that Labyrinth and Dark Crystal are up for the blu treatment, but will take some time for the high quality transfer, menus and special features. :excited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And in most recent widescreen films--or at least those with The Muppets--have offered both widescreen and full screen versions, so that both sides will be satisfied.
That's why I preach that ALL DVD companies should do this when they release movies out on DVD... that way EVERYBODY can be happy, and the people who love fullscreen who can't find them can be happy, or the people who love widescreen and can't find them can be happy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But what get's my goat? Anytime a DVD is on sale, or packaged with something (A bonus disk, a toy, or another DVD of another movie) it's always in full frame. I haven't been able to get the Spongebob movie yet because
Bad news Drtooth: Ratatouille comes in widescreen only, including the set packaged with Wal-Mart's special bonus DVD featuring Food Network stars.

And it's in that widescreen format where the black bars take up two thirds of the picture!

:grouchy: :grouchy: :grouchy:

Teheheman

Reaction score
Really? I know that Pixar(at least on the Finding Nemo DVD) had 2 disc where one was Widescreen, and the other was Full Screen, BUT what I thought was cool was they didn't scrunch the picture out, but they stretched it to where the Full Screen didn't cut anything out of it. If you don't like the annoying bars, don't fricken worry about em. It's just like going into a dang movie theater.

Daniel

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If you don't like the annoying bars, don't fricken worry about em. It's just like going into a dang movie theater.

Daniel
No it's not; the movie theater screen is a wide screen, and has no black bars that draw your focus away from the movie.

And don't swear at me!

Teheheman

Reaction score
I'm not swearing at you, I'm just saying that the black bars are NOT a big deal. Just put your attention to the thing on the screen and NOT the black bars. It used to kinda bug me until I knew what the difference was between full and widescreens.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
I, for one, can't stand digitally projected films. The hypnotic flicker is gone and it's like paying $10 to watch a really big HDTV. That comment makes me a dinosaur, but if a director chooses that for his film, I'll go with his discretion. :smile:
The only merit to digital projection is 3-D films, like Nightmare Beofre Christmas. I agree with the rest of it, though. I do not wish to see any films "digital." The stupid thing here is that it is supposed to be far cheaper, but then again, you have to pay a digital projection surcharge at certain theaters. it's like, what's the point?

I think Turner eventually zeroed-in on what he grew to understand was a niche market for classic preserved films. Maybe the colorization backlash helped. It's funny that the man has had a very long career (CNN, cable entertainment, Jane Fonda etc) that continues to this day, but I best remember him for that quote on colorization
"i'm giving the world a gift we all can appreciate. I've colorized the moon."

That's why I preach that ALL DVD companies should do this when they release movies out on DVD... that way EVERYBODY can be happy, and the people who love fullscreen who can't find them can be happy, or the people who love widescreen and can't find them can be happy.
Other than a slight gonk with quality, I do not see why more companies don't do this as well. Go back to my previous complaint about toy/bonus Disk/ bargain pack 2 DVD's thing. If only they were just like that. less in the catelogue, more people would buy them. I mean, I'm still looking for widescreen releases of certain films. Don't understand why they keep rereleasing the family friendly full Frame Shrek, when they keep spitting out sequals.

Status
Not open for further replies.