Why? ! WHY? !

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I have YET to see a widescreen movie that shows any evidence of any parts of the picture being cut because of the sides of the television set.
Try every muppet movie ever made. Even worse, in one of the fullscreen versions of TMM, they took off the widescreen black matting, which ended up displaying things that were NEVER MEANT to be seen, like puppeteers heads and arms!

I realize that, I was just simply using a screen shot of SOMETHING to illustrate how full screen vs. widescreen really works.
Oh, that's why it's wrong then. It doesn't work that way. You really should try looking things up on the internet and educating yourself about it. If you knew about how films are made and the size and dimensions of the actual film they are made on, you would understand that you are claiming is not actually possible. I'm not gonna try to explain it to you anymore because you are just purposely not listening to people who are trying to help you.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not gonna try to explain it to you anymore because you are just purposely not listening to people who are trying to help you.
I. AM. NOT! THAT'S HOW IT IS! I KNOW! WHEN I WATCH A MOVIE IN A WIDESCREEN VS. FULL SCREEN, THE EFFECT IS EXACTLY AS PROVIDED IN THE VISUAL AID! I REALIZE THAT'S A SCREEN SHOT FROM A TV SHOW, BUT AS I SAID, I WAS USING A SCREEN SHOT OF SOMETHING TO DEMONSTRATE HOW A MOVIE LOOKS IN FULL SCREEN VS. WIDESCREEN!

Sheesh!

ButchCat

Reaction score
Hi all,

D'Snowth I think I see why you are confused and I have to say your very wrong. Sorry. The thing you have to look at is this as MrsPepper is right about shows like M*A*S*H. Most TV shows in the 60's, 70's, 80"s, 90's and most in the 2000's where all filmed in Full screen which fills the whole TV screen. They are sort of square but the Movies that are filmed for the theater are filmed in wide screen. Which is way wider than the TV screen.

Back in the days of video tape they hardly aloud for movies to be shown in their original wide screen and the sides where cut off or in some cases they used a system called pan and scan which aloud for them to travel from one side of the original movie to the other side but you would still lose the whole picture of the movie.

The black bars on the top and bottom are only there to keep you from being distracted from the full viewing of the movie other wise you would be looking at interference on the top and bottom of the screen. When DVD's came into play more and more people wanted to see the movies as they where originally shot with the whole wide screen that was in the theater in the first place.

How can I explain this better? Lets take a scene in the movie Star Trek The Wrath Of Khan. In the movie there is a scene where Kirk and Savik(Sorry I don't know how to spell her name.) are in the Turbo lift or should I say elevator. Kirk was on one side of the wide screen, Savik was on the other side of the screen. Sadly with the TV screen one of them would be cut off you could not see both at the same time as it was originally intended. In that case they had to use the pan and scan. Going from one side of the movie screen to the other but that's not what the director had envisioned and wanted and neither does most of today’s audience.

Really look at the page that MrsPepper posted and check out the Star Trek First Contact page http://widescreen.org/examples/stfc/index.shtml and look at the last picture the one of the Bridge and you’ll see that in the full screen format you lose Worf and Dr. Crusher on the sides. If you don’t like Star trek I’m sorry but it seems to show the problems with Full screen the most.

Again using M*A*S*H as an example is not good as it was never shot in wide screen like a movie. It was shot for TV. Believe me I know what I am saying I've been in this business for years. I myself hate seeing theater Movies in full screen TV version because it's cutting the sides away and I miss what was once there.

The DVD’s that are made with TV shows like M*A*S*H are not in the wide screen format they are in full screen format and are not cut off. I know I own all ten seasons of the M*A*S*H DVD’s and they are not cut off into wide screen as you are indicating.

Now I know that there TV’s being made now that accommodate the wide screen format and they do have the ability to switch to the full screen format which ends up being the reverse of the black bars on the top and bottom. They end up on the sides. I have a small one in the bed room and it takes a bit of work but you can find the setting for it.

I hope that helps to clear things up a bit. I know it's hard to watch at first but after a while you'll find that it's a better thing then chopping a theater movie up.

Take care and have fun,

Terry Angus

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Then how come everytime I see a movie in widescreen, the effect is just the opposite?

Teheheman

Reaction score
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/50/Conan_widescreen.jpg/300px-Conan_widescreen.jpg

This is the best example of when a show goes Widescreen. When Conan went to Widescreen, he showed an example of what it meant. But, the thing is that when you show a movie on TV, you have to take some of the things away from the side, you have to enhance it twice as much because widescreen is 16:9 and fullscreen is 4:3(I think I got it right) so if you film it in widescreen you have to do it that way, if you film it in fullscreen it gets cut on top and bottom. Just trust me, it's not as big of a deal as you think.

Daniel

ButchCat

Reaction score
Then how come everytime I see a movie in widescreen, the effect is just the opposite?
It is distracting at first but it takes just a little bit of time to get use to and before long you won't even notice it. You just have to be patent.

Good luck D'Snowth and have fun,:smile:

Terry Angus

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm... Seems like the talk here is getting circular. Why, why is everybody turning left and driving around in circles around the topic? At any rate, this looks like a good point to close this thread. Original question asked, answered and discussed at length. If there's anything else to add, this'll get reopened.

Thanks for coming... Try the hot dogs. Tip your waitresses and drive home safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.