Wild Thornberries DVD (interesting development)

Drtooth

Reaction score
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wild-Thornberrys-Season-1/15029

Now, here's why I bothered posting this. Now, all these more popular Nick series like Rocko's Modern Life and Hey Arnold were made specifically as MOD create space on-line exclusives. This however, is going to be released for retail via a partnership from Shout.

Now, this is one of those "Why didn't you think about this before" moments... and as much as I dig Wild Thornberries, I'd MUCH rather be able to get Rocko at retail (I'm sure Shout could persuade them to release those UNCUT) or even Catdog, Arnold, or Fairly OddParents in season sets (at least finish off season 6).

Beakerfan

Reaction score
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAH SUPER EXCITING! This was one of my favorite shows when it was around, and I have missed it terribly! However, I do agree that it would be fantastic to have other (more popular) shows like Hey Arnold, Rocko, or Fairly Oddparents available as well.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
* facepalm *

This is the first Nicktoon Shout! releases on DVD in general retail? Nobody I know even watched this show on a frequent basis! It was a show you watched when nothing else was on. I really hope Shout! releases earlier Nick shows in general retail. I hate to complain, but wow. :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
* facepalm *

This is the first Nicktoon Shout! releases on DVD in general retail? Nobody I know even watched this show on a frequent basis! It was a show you watched when nothing else was on. I really hope Shout! releases earlier Nick shows in general retail. I hate to complain, but wow. :frown:
That's basically what I felt too. I mean, I don't hate the show by any means... heck, it's great to see Tim Curry NOT play a bad guy. But really, no Doug? No Rugrats? Not even a re-release of Zim (they're out of print)? I hope the partnership extends to all Nicktoons and Nick shows.

I mean, sure, Rocko, Hey Arnold and a bunch of others are on that Amazon.com thing, but if they're online burn on demand exclusives, first of all, you have to pay a flat price with no retail competition and secondly, what about more casual DVD buyers who only buy stuff they see in stores because they see it?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wild-Thornberrys-Season-1/15029

Now, here's why I bothered posting this. Now, all these more popular Nick series like Rocko's Modern Life and Hey Arnold were made specifically as MOD create space on-line exclusives. This however, is going to be released for retail via a partnership from Shout.

Now, this is one of those "Why didn't you think about this before" moments... and as much as I dig Wild Thornberries, I'd MUCH rather be able to get Rocko at retail (I'm sure Shout could persuade them to release those UNCUT) or even Catdog, Arnold, or Fairly OddParents in season sets (at least finish off season 6).
Aww, that ain't fair! I concur, I'd much rather be able to get Rocko at retail too! Matter of fact, I understand Region 4 (Australia and New Zealand) has all four seasons of Cow and Chicken available... I'd love to see some Region 1 releases too *hint-hint CN Hall of Fame*

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cow and Chicken's another deal. That's Warner Bros. I do NOT expect to see anything more of the CN Hall of Fame. Heck, I'd be surprised if they even gave the newest Scooby-Doo series a season by season release in the long run. Even if C&C were to come out, it would be a bare bones release, and I'm guessing, like Dexter, episodes would be replaced. Sigh... That's why I only got Johnny Bravo. The features are AMAZING! And they even managed to get Butch Hartman from Fairly OddParents in there...

But I'm sure if this does well, Shout and Nick will draw up further plans.

But really... if not Rocko... at LEAST Rugrats or Doug (Ren and Stimpy was released in its entirety) and cover the first series that created the Nicktoons empire. But hey, it's nice to see Shout release something that's a cartoon series and not a forgotten sitcom no ones gonna buy for a change (Webster? You serious?)... I was soooo disappointed to read that they were doing Dennis the Menace and it was the 1950's sitcom, rather than the 1980's DIC series.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I do NOT expect to see anything more of the CN Hall of Fame.
I have to agree with you there... I mean, we still have three and a partial seasons of Ed, Edd n Eddy left, and I can't remember when the previous season was released, but it has been a while.
Even if C&C were to come out, it would be a bare bones release, and I'm guessing, like Dexter, episodes would be replaced.
Yeah, that just crossed my mind, there was the infamous "Buffalo Gals" episode that was banned after its initial airing because of all the lesbian stereotypes and innuendos... luckily, someone had posted it on YouTube years ago, and I managed to download it, so that's not a TOTAL loss.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to agree with you there... I mean, we still have three and a partial seasons of Ed, Edd n Eddy left, and I can't remember when the previous season was released, but it has been a while.
Really, Warner Brothers SUCKS at DVD releases... but frankly, so doesn't everybody. They only really care about the DC comics brand and Scooby-Doo to some extent... and even then, Static Shock and Legion of Superheroes has yet to be released in sets (took them forever to do Batman Brave and the Bold, and they're both bare bones releases)... and Scooby's Laugh-a-lympics is in "kid friendly" volumes (yeah, because that's what kid's want... LESS of their favorite shows, and MORE DVD's to buy). And Shaggy and Scooby get a Clue has been downgraded to bonus feature episode releases (can't say I blame 'em though). I'm glad 13 ghosts was released all in one set, though!

Further more, they couldn't even finish off the Edds or Fosters... and Chowder is only 2 single disk releases, not even amounting to a season. Even the highly popular Ben 10 has become volume by volume now. Old or new, they just don't care about anything that ISN'T a sitcom that won't sell because it's in syndication anyway.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
But hey, it's nice to see Shout release something that's a cartoon series and not a forgotten sitcom no ones gonna buy for a change (Webster? You serious?)... I was soooo disappointed to read that they were doing Dennis the Menace and it was the 1950's sitcom, rather than the 1980's DIC series.
Hey now- some people remember Webster. LOL. I grew up watching that show- one of my favorites in the 1980s. So I'm excited for its release on DVD.:smile:
But I understand what you're saying. It's great to have the 1950s Dennis The Menace sitcom coming to DVD- but I'd just as soon love to see the 1980s DIC cartoon on DVD- I loved watching that show as a kid. I do have the individual DVD that was released a few years back with about 7 episodes on it though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know someone's gonna hate me for this, but I HATED the sitcom. I tried watching it several times when it was on Nick at someone's house... it was DUUUUUULLL compared to Dic's cartoon series. I even have that DTV short film "Cruise Control" which got most of the original cast back (at least Jeanie Elias, Maurice LaMarche, and Marylin Lightstone... hate how they stunt cast Tom Arnold as Mr. Wilson, but at least he was grouchy enough). I almost even bought that pathetic Fox release of like 7 short cartoons.

I tell yah, Fox is just going to sit on the Dennis and Gadget license. I wouldn't even mind NCircle releasing them. At least they go really cheap.

But back to the Nicktoons... I've heard GOOD things about the MOD sets, don't get me wrong... but I'd much rather see those things hit stores... with bonus features maybe? At the very least Doug and Rugrats, their first shows...