Wild Thornberries DVD (interesting development)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, here's some morequibbles with the set...

1. The audio... it's like the volume fluxuates, the music and score is rather quiet, then the dialogue is a little bit louder, then the other sound effects are blaring.
2. The quality: now, the overall quality is more crystal clear compared to original television broadcasts, but the color is surprisingly mute and faded... I think they could've done a little more restoration to the episodes; even the repeats of Cow and Chicken on Boomerang (well, Comcast On Demand anyway, since I don't get the actual channel) have much bolder and brighters colors compared to my old tapes.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
about the color...have you tried playing with your dvd player's (or tv's) brightness, color, and contrast options (if they have them?)

when I watch my PPG dvd I need to turn the contrast down because everything is too bright and oversaturated.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Most of the time, it has to do with how the DVD companies prepare the content for the DVDs.

A lot of companies will take the time to properly restore the content for the DVD, especially if the content is shot on film (sometimes, they're restored from the original negatives if the master prints are too damaged), whereas other times (like Henson's Place), the content seems to be simply transfered from the original source onto the disc, without any sort of restoration whatsoever.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I know that...but it was just a suggestion. You dont know if its something will help or not until you try...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, here's at least another plus with the Rocko set...

It DOES include the banned episode "Leap Frogs"; I haven't finished the set yet, but I guess aother episodes will be uncut like the milking scene from "The Good, The Bad, The Wallaby".

I guess if they ever make it to the final season, they'll also include the other banned episode "Heff in a Handbasket".

Incidentally, both episodes actually were broadcasted on the Nicktoons Network, so... yeah...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, here's at least another plus with the Rocko set...

It DOES include the banned episode "Leap Frogs"; I haven't finished the set yet, but I guess aother episodes will be uncut like the milking scene from "The Good, The Bad, The Wallaby".

I guess if they ever make it to the final season, they'll also include the other banned episode "Heff in a Handbasket".

Incidentally, both episodes actually were broadcasted on the Nicktoons Network, so... yeah...
Okay, so as it turns out, "The Good, The Bad, and The Wallaby" ISN'T uncut. :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm not going to bother if it's not Uncut. That is SUCH bullcrap. Nick should keep its distance with it's prude scissors from these releases. I hope they get TONS of complaint letters for this and future releases aren't hacked for the benefit of the Amish. This is intended as a 20-something collection, and dumbing it down so it's safe for 2 year olds isn't going to win any buyers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah... Hey Dude has a freaking special feature. An interview with someone. They couldn't do one for any of these cartoons people actually like and remember better than anything else on the network (maybe with the exception of Double Dare).

Why they decided to give a forgotten and forgettable live action series a special feature and not any of the toons so far is beyond any comprehension.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah... Hey Dude has a freaking special feature. An interview with someone. They couldn't do one for any of these cartoons people actually like and remember better than anything else on the network (maybe with the exception of Double Dare).

Why they decided to give a forgotten and forgettable live action series a special feature and not any of the toons so far is beyond any comprehension.
Well, I mean like with these CN Hall of Fame releases: Johnny Bravo got special features for one reason, and one reason only... Seth MacFarlane. The other releases got bupkus. Dexter was a bigger hit than JB, you'd think that would've had at least an interview with Genndy Tartakovski or something.