Will Sesame Street produce another movie for theaters?

mbmfrog

Reaction score
What I mean is given the cast and crew that are on the show now and how much popularity the show is to various people in this day in age. Does anyone think that Sesame Street could make another movie someday ?

I mean make it more like "Follow that Bird," in terms of family and a bit less like "Elmo in Grouchland," in terms of focusing on one charcter.

What do you all say to that as fans of Sesame Street ? :wisdom:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I want to see one made. There's real potential in a new Sesame Street theatrical film. But they'd have to play a more nostalgic angle than Elmo in Grouchland did if they hope to have anyone over the age of 2 willingly go to one. EIG is a deceivingly good film, though it had a lot of problems.

But even Follow that Bird, the film everyone likes better, didn't gross that much. Adjusted, FTB did outgross FMS, but only by like 4 mil... EIG is one of the worst grossing Muppet/Henson films... only doing a couple thousand more than Buddy. BUT both movies did their business when they hit home video. That means we'd be more likely to see more DTV projects in the future. I really want to see a bigger budget Sesame Street project with a LOT of exterior shots, and a theatrical film's the only way we'd get that.

If we have a good, solid, gimmick free script that doesn't just center around Elmo, there's some potential.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
SUPER GROVER MOVIE.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :super:

But yeah, if Winnie the Pooh can do solid business in this box office climate and The Muppets can achieve success, I'd be all for a new Sesame movie. Unlike Pooh, I think a new Sesame movie would have a decent chance at counterprogramming against a larger blockbuster, which would probably be a great way to get it an audience actually, at least if it's up against a dark, no-fun-for-kids blockbuster. For instance, release it the same day as The Dark Knight Rises, you have a great alternate to take your younger child to while another parent takes the older kids to Dark Knight Rises. I think Follow That Bird was an attempt to be an alternate for parents tepid to take their kids to see Disney's The Black Cauldron (it opened the week after it), but that obviously didn't work since no one saw it and just went to go see Back to the Future again. I think that was also another thing that killed Elmo in Grouchland, there were no major films for it to compete against as an alternate. The highest grossing movie that month was Three Kings, which wasn't exactly a huge hit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Elmo in Grouchland wasn't helped by the fact that it was destined for an audience too young to sit still for 90 minutes to see a movie. Considering that's how Disney pawned off Pooh as of late, it's almost no wonder why Pooh didn't get the potential it deserved. I don't think parents were all that warm to taking their little kids to see a movie they could easily wait for to hit home video.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better myself. :super:

But yeah, if Winnie the Pooh can do solid business in this box office climate and The Muppets can achieve success, I'd be all for a new Sesame movie. Unlike Pooh, I think a new Sesame movie would have a decent chance at counterprogramming against a larger blockbuster, which would probably be a great way to get it an audience actually, at least if it's up against a dark, no-fun-for-kids blockbuster. For instance, release it the same day as The Dark Knight Rises, you have a great alternate to take your younger child to while another parent takes the older kids to Dark Knight Rises. I think Follow That Bird was an attempt to be an alternate for parents tepid to take their kids to see Disney's The Black Cauldron (it opened the week after it), but that obviously didn't work since no one saw it and just went to go see Back to the Future again. I think that was also another thing that killed Elmo in Grouchland, there were no major films for it to compete against as an alternate. The highest grossing movie that month was Three Kings, which wasn't exactly a huge hit.
I agree maybe an origin story. Super Grover's telling his Super Hero Buddies how came to be, and stops a Huxley like villian, or even Abby could have something in a story that might be decent. Abby encounters a wicked witch, and has to find a powerful wand, but the real magic is believing in yourself.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've said for years we could use a Super Grover movie, and if not Super Grover, at least give Big Bird another movie: Elmo's had two, a theatrical movie (EIG) and a TV movie (CinderElmo), so yeah, give Big Bird something to work with again.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
When I saw this thread I thought: "what could they possibly make a movie about". I like the superhero/Super Grover idea, with all the superhero related movies coming out and gaining popularity (most of them anyway..). An Idea that I thought would be cool...though I admit not all that origional, is Sesame Street in danger of being torn down and the residents of the street band together to stop it like with a fundraiser or something. I'm sure someone could put a good spin on that to make it both origional and Sesame Street oriented.
Heck here's an idea. How about a SST version of "Around the World in 80 Days" Considering all the diffrent coproductions internationally that might be possible. Big Bird or Elmo or whoever could be the main character could go visit the other "Streets" and interact with their forigen counterparts.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
An Idea that I thought would be cool...though I admit not all that origional, is Sesame Street in danger of being torn down and the residents of the street band together to stop it like with a fundraiser or something. I'm sure someone could put a good spin on that to make it both origional and Sesame Street oriented.
And I'm pretty sure they've done that idea before in past... like with Joe Pesci wanting to tear down the street.
Heck here's an idea. How about a SST version of "Around the World in 80 Days" Considering all the diffrent coproductions internationally that might be possible. Big Bird or Elmo or whoever could be the main character could go visit the other "Streets" and interact with their forigen counterparts.
That actually brings to mind a similar idea I had for an SST movie that I had written in the form of a fanfic several, several years ago: Ernie believes in a legend of "The Giant Sesame Seed of Sesame Street", a mythical sesame seed that supposedly paved the way fo such a wonderful street like Sesame Street to exist, and wants to go in search of it... the problem being is that recent sightings he's heard about have been all over the world, including countries like Italy, England, Scotland, and other areas like the Arctic Circle; the plot was supposed to follow Ernie, as well as Bert, Elmo, and Cookie Monster as they travel the world in search of the Giant Sesame Seed of Sesame Street, and yes, lear about the different cultures of the different countries and such, and all the while keep bumping into the same AM who just happens to be a native in each of the locations (sort of like Red Guy from Cow and Chicken). It was on FanFiction.Net, but all my stories were deleted by the staff, so I lost it... then I tried to recreate it here, but since I'm not part of the fanfic clique around here, nobody was interested. On the notion, the concept of Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures could be adapted into a movie.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
That actually brings to mind a similar idea I had for an SST movie that I had written in the form of a fanfic several, several years ago: Ernie believes in a legend of "The Giant Sesame Seed of Sesame Street", a mythical sesame seed that supposedly paved the way fo such a wonderful street like Sesame Street to exist, and wants to go in search of it... the problem being is that recent sightings he's heard about have been all over the world, including countries like Italy, England, Scotland, and other areas like the Arctic Circle; the plot was supposed to follow Ernie, as well as Bert, Elmo, and Cookie Monster as they travel the world in search of the Giant Sesame Seed of Sesame Street, and yes, lear about the different cultures of the different countries and such, and all the while keep bumping into the same AM who just happens to be a native in each of the locations (sort of like Red Guy from Cow and Chicken). It was on FanFiction.Net, but all my stories were deleted by the staff, so I lost it... then I tried to recreate it here, but since I'm not part of the fanfic clique around here, nobody was interested. On the notion, the concept of Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures could be adapted into a movie.
I actually remember reading that and enjoying it! I don't think it necessarily screamed "cinema" though but with some beefing up it would make for a good Sesame theatrical movie.