Yogi Bear Movie - Teaser Trailer

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, it's an obvious in joke, as he was the villain of the last movie that came out around that time. Plus, frankly, Wayne did a much better job as the character... he made the role his own and really emoted and took it to a whole other level besides the throwaway gag, minor plot point he was in the movie. Not to mention voice acting's the only work the guy got for a while, and he is one of my favorites. Loved him in BLSC and Toonsylvania.

Where as with the Chipmunks, they got the characters to sound roughly like the 80's cast, and well.... you could get anyone to voice them and they'll sound roughly the same. When someone's voice is high enough pitched, it sort of distorts any variation of sound in a person's tone. They could have pulled someone off the street to play Alvin. I have to say, the guys they got did a pretty good job. Much better than Jason Lee's Dave... I like Jason, but he didn't quite fit the role...

Saaaaaaayyyyyy... wasn't Will Ferrel supposed to play Mr. Ranger at some point? He would have been good.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Saaaaaaayyyyyy... wasn't Will Ferrel supposed to play Mr. Ranger at some point? He would have been good.
I doubt it. Will Ferrell hasn't had a good role since Buddy the Elf.

Mupp

Reaction score
Where as with the Chipmunks, they got the characters to sound roughly like the 80's cast, and well.... you could get anyone to voice them and they'll sound roughly the same. When someone's voice is high enough pitched, it sort of distorts any variation of sound in a person's tone. They could have pulled someone off the street to play Alvin.
Very true. There was absolutely NO REASON to have big names voice the chipmunks.

But getting back to Zurg for a second; You do have a point there, it could be seen an an in-joke. Though I also have a theory that perhaps Wayne Knight was originally slated to voice Zurg in Toy Story 2, but then the powers at be changed their minds and gave him the Al role.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Or, Zurg wasn't meant to have a big speaking role to begin with, and it was too late for someone else to do it... or they went with the scratch track because they didn't feel like paying anyone else... or whatever.

But Disney cartoons have a history of using bigger names for some of their shows... Alan Young as Scrooge in Ducktales, Gummi Bears reunited Bill Scott with June Foray (before he passed on) while Bill was reunited with Stan Freberg for Wuzzles... James Woods reprised the role of Hades in Hercules and House of Mouse... even Phil Hartman had a one time role on Darkwing Duck. But then again, we know little of the other actors that audtioned or if there were auditions. I still think it was an in joke myself. But then again, they went with Patrick Warburton (who, I actually liked just as much in the role as Tim Allen) as Buzz instead of Pat Fraley, their unofficial Buzz role for toys and park attractions and stuff.

I doubt it. Will Ferrell hasn't had a good role since Buddy the Elf.
Counter intuitve, since I really disliked him in that movie. I actually can't get through it no matter how hard I tried. Though he was amazing in Zoolander... a delightfully stupid movie. But whatever... he's still better than the guy they got. I hate when they turn people into "lovable lugs" and strip the essence of the character. That's the one blotch this movie really has.

Luke

Reaction score
I thought the Yogi voice was very off.

I thought Timberlakes Boo Boo was perfect, but i dont get the point of hiring a "name" actor when you don't actually get to see them or hear their real voice. It quite literally could be anybody doing that voice for a quarter of the cost lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I thought Timberlakes Boo Boo was perfect, but i dont get the point of hiring a "name" actor when you don't actually get to see them or hear their real voice. It quite literally could be anybody doing that voice for a quarter of the cost lol.
It's very counter intuitive. They want names... yet they have someone playing Rangers Smith that I don't even know who he is and doesn't fit. Actually... Steve Carell would almost work as the Ranger too. Anyone who can emote anger. This guy looks incapable of getting slightly annoyed at Yogi. And that's all the character of Ranger Smith is... the stern parental figure.

Mupp

Reaction score
It's very counter intuitive. They want names... yet they have someone playing Rangers Smith that I don't even know who he is and doesn't fit.
I agree. He doesn't really fit for that role.

I actually think that a theatrical Yogi Bear movie could have worked as a hand-drawn animated film in the same vein as the original cartoons and TV specials.

The whole idea of putting classic cartoon characters in a CGI/live-action movie is getting old. And more often than not, the classic characters just end up looking freaky as CGI toons trying to blend in with the real world.

Mupp

Reaction score
By the way...Not to make a big deal out of this, but after looking over some of my last posts here, I may have given the wrong impression;

When speaking about the fact that Wayne Knight voiced Zurg on the TV show.I didn't mean to suggest that I didn't like the casting choice. I liked him in the role, and I generally enjoyed the show. I just thought that it was a tad unnecessary since a lot of people couldn't tell it was him because the character's voice is distorted.

Regardless, its clear that they wanted the Star Command TV show to have a strong voice cast. In addition to Wayne Knight and Patrick Warburton the show featured the voices of Adam Carolla, Nicole Sullivan, Diedrich Bader, and John O'Hurley.

Xerus

Reaction score
By the way...Not to make a big deal out of this, but after looking over some of my last posts here, I may have given the wrong impression;

When speaking about the fact that Wayne Knight voiced Zurg on the TV show.I didn't mean to suggest that I didn't like the casting choice. I liked him in the role, and I generally enjoyed the show. I just thought that it was a tad unnecessary since a lot of people couldn't tell it was him because the character's voice is distorted.

Regardless, its clear that they wanted the Star Command TV show to have a strong voice cast. In addition to Wayne Knight and Patrick Warburton the show featured the voices of Adam Carolla, Nicole Sullivan, Diedrich Bader, and John O'Hurley.
And the voices of Stephen Furst, Larry Miller, Neil Flynn, Brad Garrett, Bob Goldwhait, French Stewart, Craig Ferguson, and a lot of other celebrity voices. Kind of like how Disney's Hercules series had all these celebrity voices. They called them, stunt voices.

Xerus

Reaction score
It would be great to see Yogi Bear in something again. The last times I saw the bear was in an episode of Harvey Birdman where he was voiced by Maurice LaMarche. In a Billy and Mandy episode voiced by Dave Fouquette. And in Robot Chicken where he was voiced by Dan Milano.