1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

Dismiss Notice
  3. "Muppet Guys Talking" Debuts On-line
    Watch the inspiring documentary "Muppet Guys Talking", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppet release of the year.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mo Frackle, Aug 29, 2012.

1. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

I'll be honest,

Even as a kid, I was never a huge, huge fan of Land Before Time. Just never caught my eye.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Same here.

3. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Well, I remember watching it probably at least once a week for the first seven years of my life, lol. So, it definitely holds a special nostalgic place in my heart. I think I always admired it's simplicity. It is sad though, what happened to Ducy's voice, and it does take away from the movie at times, but maybe because my little brother likes it so much I try not to think about it.
    Until earlier this year, Land Before Time and An American Tale were the only Bluth movies i'd seen, until I saw that Prime and Hulu had Secret of Nimh and All Dogs Go to Heaven. I really loved ADGTH, and Nimh is one of my favorite animated movies now. I love how excessively dark his movies are. Anastasia was not his best work, but it had some beautiful scenes, and was certainly his best post 80s film.

4. LittleJerry92

You ever notice how when it comes to the Sesame Street News skits with Don Music, the only song fans have ever tried editing in the news logo for is Mary Had a Bycicle and the others are just left alone?

5. D'Snowth

And here's a similar one: ever notice throughout the 70s, a lot of secondary sitcom actors provided the voices for supporting characters?

Pat Buttram (Mr. Haney on GREEN ACRES) did voices in THE ARISTOCATS, ROBIN HOOD, THE RESCUERS, and THE FOX AND THE HOUND

George Lindsey (Goober on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW) did voices in THE ARISTOCATS, ROBIN HOOD, and THE RESCUERS

Carole Shelley and Monica Evans (the Pidgeon Sisters from THE ODD COUPLE) did voices in THE ARISTOCAT and ROBIN HOOD (Carole Shelley was also in HERCULES)

Nancy Kulp (Miss Hathaway on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES and Hoppy's mom on SANFORD AND SON) voiced Frou-Frou in THE ARISTOCATS

John Fielder (more of a character actor) did voices in ROBIN HOOD, THE RESCUERS, THE FOX AND THE HOUND, and of course is perhaps best known as the voice of P-P-P-Piglet

And the interesting thing about both Rescuers movies as well as Aristocats was that another GREEN ACRES alum, Eva Gabor, provided voices in those movies as well.

I always felt like Don Bexley (Bubba from SANFORD AND SON) had a unique voice that would have been good for supporting Disney characters.

CensoredAlso and fuzzygobo like this.
  6. D'Snowth

So in the old days at restaurants, you'd be hard pressed to get your server to actually refill your drink - really, it's like even if you shoved your near-empty glass in their faces and pointed out you need more, they still wouldn't grasp the message, you always had to wave or flag them down, and ask, "Could I have some more (drink), please?" And even so, they always acted like it was a big deal to refill your drink - some places would even charge you for refills if it was a certain drink that they didn't have on-hand, like a coffee, tea, soft drinks, whatever.

Of course, that was then, this is now, and now, it's like the exact opposite: sometimes they'll bring you another glass of drink even when your current glass is still full! And it's like they'll keep bringing you another glass of stuff even as your paying your check, which by that time, you're for it all to come spilling out both ends all over them because you've become an inflatable by that point. Then you have cases where you can't finish drinking because you're too full, then the servers act like you're an ungrateful jerk because of it.

So, it's like there's no middle ground here . . . the past was conserve your drink during your meal, because your chances of getting refills was slim; the present is run to the bathroom when you get home, because you've consumed five glasses of your beverage . . . what does the future hold? Maybe in the future, more restaurants will take the fast-food approach, and just have personal drink fountains at each table, that way, you are in control of your own drink consumption, and you cut out the middle man: just fill up your glass with ice, get whatever you want to drink, get as many refills as you want.

Oh, and no joke: I actually did have an experience at an Applebee's one time where the server brought me five glasses - finally had to take the fifth one to-go.

fuzzygobo likes this.
  7. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

They finally got around to having to-go cups for your drink. Makes sense. You paid for it, and if they can box up your food (does any place call it a "Doggie bag" anymore?), why not your drink?

Like you and Drtooth, I agree plain water is dull, tasteless, bland, boring, blah blah blah. Especially if you're going to a fancy restaurant, having a nice meal, and you're going to wash it down with...tap water! Yum!
    Then there are others who are notoriously cheap and won't splurge for something that actually has color in it.

Thank God for unsweetened iced tea. No sugar, no carbonation, most places offer free refills, and a drink that enhances your dining pleasure more than plain water.

Plus the tannins in tea help with digestion as well.

A lot of places have that Coke Freestyle now, where you can get as little or as much as you want to drink (and plenty of sugar-free and/or noncarbonated options. So we can both smile).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  8. D'Snowth

If a southerner heard you say that, their response to you would be, "Get thee behind me, Satan!"

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  9. fuzzygobo

I figgered as much, but sweet tea would be the death of me.

D'Snowth likes this.
  10. D'Snowth

Ever notice in fiction, the slightest unsanitary thing found in restaurant immediately shuts it completely down on the spot? Never seen that work in real life: you usually have to alert a health inspector, they have to come in to inspect the place at their earliest convenience, and the only way the place "shuts down" is when the staff has to clean the place up to correct the violations. Even so, for a place to shut completely down and never reopen, it has to fail multiple inspections due to multiple violations - not just for a lone roach scurrying around, or one rodent hair found on the floor.

11. LittleJerry92

Reminds me of that Hey Arnold episode where Helga takes Arnold, Gerald and Phoebe for a dinner for four at the French restaurant just to find out it's the wrong one and Helga has Nadine bring in cockroaches to get it shut down.

12. D'Snowth

That's one of the examples I was thinking of.

There's also an episode of SEINFELD where Kramer tries to get a chicken restaurant shut down because their giant neon chicken outside made his whole apartment glow red, but it instantly shut down after Jerry shook off a wet hat made of rat hair inside the place.

Another example that I was thinking of was a plot device from MOUSEHUNT, where a cockroach manages to slips into Nathan Lane's swanky restaurant, and the mayor accidentally ends up eating half of it, causing him to go into shock and die; place was closed instantly. Also didn't help reporters happened to be there as the whole thing unfolded.

13. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I wonder if TV Tropes has a page for shutting places down over slight violations, or if TV Tropes needs such a page.

I wonder if the "shutting down over a minor violation" would apply to the Newhart episode This Probably is Condemned, in which after the health inspector inspects the inn, a nervous Kirk accidentally draws attention to the fact that there's a cafe next door (when he's afraid of the inspector coming over and shutting it down), and in Kirk's next scene, he says that when the inspector came in he said it was a disgrace and an eyesore and immediately shut it down until it was brought up to code, with a list of all violations.

I'm going to spoil the ending here (not sure how many people here would care in this case, but at least I just put in a spoiler warning so you can skip the rest of this post), but it turns out that Kirk had lied and the place had never been condemned, not sure how much of it was a lie (did the inspector really express disgust with how the place looked? Did he give Kirk a list of violations and time to bring it up to code without actually shutting it down on the spot?), but I wonder if the circumstances of that episode would have actually gotten the place shut down right away.

14. D'Snowth

I think I may have asked about this on TV Tropes once before . . . y'know, back when the staff didn't act like a bunch of jerks who would crack down on you for even the slightest infraction?

15. LittleJerry92

Tv tropes always makes me laugh.... Though I never would have thought the staff there were jerks. :smirk:

16. D'Snowth

I don't know what bee got up their boxers, but yeah, it got to a point where they'd pounce on you for any minor infraction, then hold it against you . . . like when I got banned, their records showed I had made some three or four thousand contributions to the site over a three year period of time (yeah, even I'm astounded by that - TV Tropes really was addictive) . . . but they were more upset over a small handful of mistakes I made over that same amount of time - despite the fact I not only learned from many of those mistakes, but even corrected as many of them as I could. Didn't matter. They felt I was unfit to contribute to the wiki any further.

And there's one staffer in particular who's such a jerk to tropers that Encyclopedia Dramatic actually has an article about what a jerk he is. No foolin'.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  17. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's why i'm afraid to edit anything other than minor things, like fixing typos and things like that.
    Wikipedia has this function where it automatically blocks your edits if it detects that you are vandalizing an article. I know because i've tried to vandalize articles before, lol. But maybe TV Tropes needs a function like that, so the staff can stop worrying so much about every little problem.

Come to think of it, I haven't been on that site in a long time. I'm gonna go check it out now.

18. D'Snowth

It also doesn't help that TV Tropes became inconsistent with their own rules, but act like it's the tropers who are inconsistent with the rules, not them. Like for example, here's one infraction they reprimanded me for, but apparently otherwise have no other problem with: I once noted that something became a Memetic Mutation because of Nostalgia Critic, but the staff deleted it because they said it was a "Shoe-Horned Example," and therefore was not a real example . . . but if you browse through it enough, you'll find other examples of how other things have become Memetic Mutations because of Nostalgia Critic, so I don't know why they had an issue with me listing something NC made into a meme when there's plenty of other examples throughout the site.

19. fuzzygobo

Reminds me of the classic song by Yes, "Starship Troper". 8)

20. LittleJerry92

Dude, same. Just putting gibberish into pages out of boredom.

Pig's Laundry likes this.