Your Animal Replica Pictures

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/m1stersuper5tar/Animal_1981Annual.jpg

Here's a nice pic from the back inside cover of the 1981 Muppets annual. Animal definitely has a black gap between his eyes. He has changed over the years, hair length and colour and face proportions. Everytime they had to make a new puppet he changed slightly. Notice the classic slant his mouth has when it's wide open? It never looked semetrical. That's something I wish they had incorporated into the replica.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
My Thoughts on Design and Materials:
For these pieces to be true replicas they would be built with materials that would eventually degrade and require much more individual attention that isn't possible with this number of units. That means changes must be made. Disney surely wouldn't allow substances that would likely degrade over the span of a couple years, but neither are they likely interested in finding the best alternative. They'll be happy with the simplest alternative price and time-wise rather than true elegance. That's just how it goes with such companies.

As fans and collectors of these it is important for even-handed critical reviews to get back to the company. Parts that work, parts that don't. Again, there is no way for these to be totally true photo replicas on the market, but that doesn't mean they can't be better. The true question is how to salvage the best design that the majority of fans and collectors would approve? It’s not “trashing” the product to mention these failings even after changes cannot be made. It can help the company improve the next product.

I’ve said it before – there really does need to be a better way of communicating these thoughts to Master Replicas. I have a feeling that once the prototypes leave Terry’s hands some rather unfortunate edits are made. I’m certain edits are necessary, but just how they are handled is very much the debate.

The folks around here have done such a good job and I know it could be of help to Master Replicas in the future.
That's a good way of looking at things. The only thing I don't like on here is people that say "it's crap and I'm not buying it" without giving any kind of constructive criticism. We could do with someone that can take all the ideas we have about the replicas and turn them into something that can be sent directly to MR. We, after all, know how these characters are supposed to look as well as anybody could! :halo:

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Notice the classic slant his mouth has when it's wide open? It never looked semetrical. That's something I wish they had incorporated into the replica.
Yeah, I've been surprised since I got him that he doesn't have a wire running through his bottom lip to give you more control.

I gotta give a couple of shououts:
Antonydavanzo: You were the reason I ended up buying Animal! You've gotten him to look perfect. In one of your pics Animal has that grunting look like he's just had a meltdown with his arms slumped, his eyelids down, and his mouth with that growl/slight underbite look. No matter what I do, I can't get my Animal to look like that. How did you get his eyelids to stay down that far and get his mouth into that shape? Classic Animal.

Keeermit: Man, I've been a big fan of your stuff. Your Animal puppet is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. I was wondering if you'd get the MR Animal. Even though I love the MR Animal, he pales in comparison to yours. You are truly talented.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like on here is people that say "it's crap and I'm not buying it" without giving any kind of constructive criticism.
:crazy: I'm usually wary of the personality type that writes things off either as "perfection" or "crap" because everything has strengths and weaknesses. In those circumstances it is usually the case that a person is magnifying one or two factors out of proportion. It can be irritating to hear blind support or knee-jerk dissatisfaction. :embarrassed:

However I do know that these items (in a good state) are much wanted by fans and the product is also quite expensive. Muppet Caper cites that MR is listening to the concerns (and praise too) but it would be nice to see some kind of acknowledgement of it. That could calm some customers - including me! LOL! :zany:

MWoO

Reaction score

Here's a nice pic from the back inside cover of the 1981 Muppets annual. Animal definitely has a black gap between his eyes. He has changed over the years, hair length and colour and face proportions. Everytime they had to make a new puppet he changed slightly. Notice the classic slant his mouth has when it's wide open? It never looked semetrical. That's something I wish they had incorporated into the replica.
That gap is less pronounced than the replica one. Sorry, but the replicas eyes are further apart then they should be. Finding one pic won't change my view on the eye issue when 99 percent of the Animal's made over the years have had the eyes right next to each other.

Many on here have gotten their Animal to look great, which has made me want one myself. There are others on here who have an Animal that looks way too poofy and not very Animal like. It seems to me that the quality of the replica has more to do with the people who buy it than it does the product itself.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Many on here have gotten their Animal to look great, which has made me want one myself. There are others on here who have an Animal that looks way too poofy and not very Animal like. It seems to me that the quality of the replica has more to do with the people who buy it than it does the product itself.
Glad to hear it. It really is a nice thing to own. Some people are better at "tweaking" it than others. I, for one, can't seem to get his hair to stay down but don't really want to mess with it too much as I kinda want it how it is. I mean, I don't want to do anything to it that isn't reversible. It's nice to see the modifications that some of the guys have done tho. If I had more guts I'd probably have a go myself.
I still think it would be nice if we could elect a single person that could keep MR informed on our ideas an opinions and making them aware of how many fans there are on here that want to help get these replicas as good as possible.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score

Telly

Reaction score
Wow! I LOVE it MuppetCaper! Awesome job!

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Nicely done! It's a better size too. Any other modifications you plan on doing?