1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Authentic Kermit Replica

Discussion in 'Muppet Replicas' started by Phillip, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

We received an advance release of the Kermit Replica Photo Puppet. Read our review to find out all the details on this highly-anticipated release.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/merchandise/replica_kermit.shtml

Also, if you order your Kermit Replica from the link below, a portion of the order will go back to Muppet Central, helping us keep the site and new projects coming in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000J680AM/muppetcentral/

Let us know what you think about the Kermit replica in the below discussion.
  2. Douglas Fir

Douglas Fir New Member

I love the comparrison picture in the review - the 1965 Ideal Kermit is just hideous! :o
  3. lithiumbrain

lithiumbrain Member

That was a nice review. It answered a lot of questions I had. I was curious...Why is the replica smaller than the real puppet? Were the real Henson "posers" smaller as well?
  4. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Great review, Phil. You made a great argument about MR creating Kermit as he looks today vs. in the 1970's, and you addressed the "fat head" vs. "hand puppet" look of :) ...

Still... especially after seeing the amazing prototype for Gonzo, this still looks like a $200 doll to me that could have been so much better. Ultimately I will order one, but I'll be doing it with a bit of a lump in my throat, knowing that down the road I'll be thrilled with it, I'm just having such an issue with it, sorry.
  5. Douglas Fir

Douglas Fir New Member

I'm guessing the original posers must have been smaller as these are 1:1 scale replicas and I'm sure MR wouldn't purposefully make them smaller unless they were sticking to the original?

I hope they're not too much smaller - how about more information (height, length of arms & legs, etc)?

Also sorry I can't help the website by ordering through your link because I already have one ordered in the UK :(
  6. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

His arms are 13 inches each while his legs are 12 and ½ inches long. I added this to the review as well.
  7. The original Muppet posers, as weel as this new Kermit one, couldn't be much smaller than the original puppets. Anytime a poser has been photographed with a celebrity, like John Denver, Kermit looks as though he is the same size as he is when he on television with that same celebrity. The puppet version would rarely have legs and each one was made individually without much attention to whether sizes were exact with each new puppet created. This new Kermit replica will be as near as can be to the size of every original Kermit you have seen on TV or photographs. I think it's nice that this new replica has been created in such a way that it isn't exact and still dosn't spoil the magic of seeing Kermit as he was performed by Jim. :)
  8. Another thought. If the Gonzo replica is to be clothed (hopefully in his maroon tux or something similar) would it have been a good idea to provide Kermit with his reporters mac and trilby hat? Maybe they could make one to sell separately for those of us that are nostalgic about Kermit on SS. :)
  9. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

If you look at that pic in Phil's article halfway down in comparison with all the other Kermit's through the years, I've always believed that (body not withstanding) the Fisher Price plush from '81 (the one in the trench coat and hat) is the best likeness ever. Not even Palisades were able to match that well. Why is that? How did FP make such a spectacular likeness?
  10. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

Vic buddy, you and I are (well where) in the same boat.... I MUST say its is a HIGH price tag on ol Kermit, but like ya sayed "knowing that down the road I'll be thrilled with it". thats how I look at it. even tho it put a BIG hole in my check book! (i used my debit card, its a visa) :( :eek: :smirk: But I'm glad that I did it and you WILL be too! Phil GREAT review man, as always! thumps up to you, and I also cant wait for my Kermie to come in...and Gonzo! (when he vomes out..)
  11. Garland

Garland New Member

Thanks Phil!

That review was a real treat this morning!

Long Live Muppet Central!!!
  12. zns

zns Active Member

Once again, another great review Phil. Seeing those pictures makes me more ecstatic for my shipment to come in.:) :) :)
  13. Boba Lynn

Boba Lynn Member

Apperently so. The artical says the Posers were smaller then the working puppets.

Lynn
  14. rickly

rickly New Member

I was very curious to see so few posts on the Kermit posers. I got mine last week - am I the only other person who actually has his in his possession?

They are, for the price, quite good. The armature is excellent - better than the real Henson posers, in fact. The fleece is a very close match to the original, but it is softer and fluffier. I suspect that with use, it will pill fairly quickly. The color is perfect, though. Yes, it IS smaller than the real puppet, but not too much. The head seems a bit under-stuffed, but this may also be due to the fact that the real Kermit fleece is more robust, and probably holds its shape a bit better. The collar is odd - the points are cut a but thin, with a curve to them - the real deal has straight lines, making the points wider. The curved lines of the black flocked "pupils" seem a bit long - in fact, the pupils are a bit over-scale for the whites in general. And the eyes are a bit too close together - a common Kermit reproduction failing, even with the licensed toys. It makes him look a bit wall-eyed. Without a doubt, the most outstanding feature of this item is the stitching. The seams are nearly non-existant - I can't imagine how they did this with machine stitching! And the details of the hands, feet, and mouth edge - which appears hand glued (!) - are terrific. I defy anyone to make anything this close to the real deal for this price. A worthwhile investment for true Muppet fans.

PS - The Gonzo prototype does, indeed, look AMAZING, but I can't imagine that the exposed foam I see on it won't yellow and degrade incredibly quickly. It's one of the reasons Muppets have to be re-made so often - foam does not last long, especially when it's not covered and exposed to natural light. I see this as a major design problem.
  15. Boba Lynn

Boba Lynn Member

A few on the Replica Prop Forum have him and have posted here in the Authentic Muppet thread.

Are the eyes glued solidly all around or are they just anchord in the middle with some room to move them underneith if cut loose?

If they can be moved without glue spots showing, I will.

Lynn
  16. Boba Lynn

Boba Lynn Member

Does any one here got pics of some real Kermit posers to compare this to???
    I did a Google search, but I can't tell posers from some replicas.
    I would like to know what kind of changes can be made if I wanted to.

Lynn
  17. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

It's nice, but the pupils really throw off the look. It seems that the poser body and head is realy nice and probably perfect to some version of Kermit, but I think people need lessons in posing him. I see squisjhed heads and necks and stuff that should be fixed.
  18. Robin

Robin New Member

People who understand, Lighting and Natural positioning, will get the best results.... One other thing I noticed is in some of those pic's... Kermits Eyes need to be focused forward more so it actually looks like he's looking forward and not to the sides... that will also make a huge difference... Just slight adjustments you can make when you pull him out of his box...
  19. Muppetto

Muppetto Member

I hadn't heard about this puppet until I read Phillip's recent article.

I decided to purchase one since there were only going to be 2,500 produced.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the Muppet Central kick-back link until after I had already placed my order.

Sorry, Phillip.

:)
  20. Boba Lynn

Boba Lynn Member

Yeah, but thats only if they can be moved without cutting them off and actually moving them.

But, these eyes are already forward, if they go anymore the other way they will look goofy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They can't go anymore inward, and if they go outward they start looking out to the side.

Does anyone know if Kermits eyes are glued fully on right to the edges or just in the middle of the eye so they can be cut off and repositioned with a little movment room?

Lynn