Your Thoughts: Authentic Kermit Replica

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We received an advance release of the Kermit Replica Photo Puppet. Read our review to find out all the details on this highly-anticipated release.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/merchandise/replica_kermit.shtml

Also, if you order your Kermit Replica from the link below, a portion of the order will go back to Muppet Central, helping us keep the site and new projects coming in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000J680AM/muppetcentral/

Let us know what you think about the Kermit replica in the below discussion.

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
I love the comparrison picture in the review - the 1965 Ideal Kermit is just hideous! :embarrassed:

lithiumbrain

Reaction score
That was a nice review. It answered a lot of questions I had. I was curious...Why is the replica smaller than the real puppet? Were the real Henson "posers" smaller as well?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Great review, Phil. You made a great argument about MR creating Kermit as he looks today vs. in the 1970's, and you addressed the "fat head" vs. "hand puppet" look of :smile: ...

Still... especially after seeing the amazing prototype for Gonzo, this still looks like a $200 doll to me that could have been so much better. Ultimately I will order one, but I'll be doing it with a bit of a lump in my throat, knowing that down the road I'll be thrilled with it, I'm just having such an issue with it, sorry.

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
lithiumbrain said:
That was a nice review. It answered a lot of questions I had. I was curious...Why is the replica smaller than the real puppet? Were the real Henson "posers" smaller as well?
I'm guessing the original posers must have been smaller as these are 1:1 scale replicas and I'm sure MR wouldn't purposefully make them smaller unless they were sticking to the original?

I hope they're not too much smaller - how about more information (height, length of arms & legs, etc)?

Also sorry I can't help the website by ordering through your link because I already have one ordered in the UK :frown:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Douglas Fir said:
how about more information (height, length of arms & legs, etc)?
His arms are 13 inches each while his legs are 12 and ½ inches long. I added this to the review as well.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
The original Muppet posers, as weel as this new Kermit one, couldn't be much smaller than the original puppets. Anytime a poser has been photographed with a celebrity, like John Denver, Kermit looks as though he is the same size as he is when he on television with that same celebrity. The puppet version would rarely have legs and each one was made individually without much attention to whether sizes were exact with each new puppet created. This new Kermit replica will be as near as can be to the size of every original Kermit you have seen on TV or photographs. I think it's nice that this new replica has been created in such a way that it isn't exact and still dosn't spoil the magic of seeing Kermit as he was performed by Jim. :smile:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Another thought. If the Gonzo replica is to be clothed (hopefully in his maroon tux or something similar) would it have been a good idea to provide Kermit with his reporters mac and trilby hat? Maybe they could make one to sell separately for those of us that are nostalgic about Kermit on SS. :smile:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
If you look at that pic in Phil's article halfway down in comparison with all the other Kermit's through the years, I've always believed that (body not withstanding) the Fisher Price plush from '81 (the one in the trench coat and hat) is the best likeness ever. Not even Palisades were able to match that well. Why is that? How did FP make such a spectacular likeness?

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
but I'll be doing it with a bit of a lump in my throat, knowing that down the road I'll be thrilled with it, I'm just having such an issue with it, sorry.
Vic buddy, you and I are (well where) in the same boat.... I MUST say its is a HIGH price tag on ol Kermit, but like ya sayed "knowing that down the road I'll be thrilled with it". thats how I look at it. even tho it put a BIG hole in my check book! (i used my debit card, its a visa) :frown: :eek: :smirk: But I'm glad that I did it and you WILL be too! Phil GREAT review man, as always! thumps up to you, and I also cant wait for my Kermie to come in...and Gonzo! (when he vomes out..)