Your Thoughts: Ed Sullivan Muppets Magic DVD

Michael_D33

Reaction score
Surpise Reaction from Friends

Surprisingly, all my friends that I've shown this DVD to who like the muppets find it weird or even scary. They've all expressed a mild dislike for these muppets - they see them as more violent (they were) and scary or something.

I think it's an interesting reaction, because for some of these, I almost prefer these versions to a degree! :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to hear the reactions of others. A lot of people only remember a certain aspect to the Muppets and Jim Henson in general. The Muppets have been many things and many of the skits were repeated on the Muppet Show. The Muppets are more than Elmo. Actually, Elmo is the character that least describes the Muppets in my view. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
Hey, I just noticed something...

Remember those references that stated that Ed Sullivan, when introducing the Muppets for the first time, he said "Jim...uh, Newsom's puppets"? It's mentioned in a few articles, and maybe "The Works", but I'm not sure.

Anyway, that's what Ed said...but they recorded over his voice for the DVD with "Jim Henson's Muppets". Look at the intro to the "Rock and Roll Monster" segment. Ed mouths "Jim Newsom's puppets", but the audio says "Jim Henson's Muppets". It's easier to see this if your DVD player has a zoom in feature. Anyone else catch this?

Convincing John
He was notorious for mispronouncing things in intros. I mean, "Jim Newsom's Puppets," "Jim Jenson's Moppets" and even "Slim Johnson's Foppots" (noit sure if that existed or not).

But anyway, once I get a DVD, I'd be delighted to see Jern Joosan's Jorpets anytime!

dmx10101

Reaction score
I got it like a week ago, and watched it. Definetly interesting to see the beginings of the Muppet empire.

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
I just got the dvd on Christmas and I love it. The skits are great. Simple and yet to the point of whatever meaning you want to take them. As a puppeteer I enjoy seeing the experienced in their early stages because when you watch the more recent videos and shows the puppets are advanced and the voices as well. The techniques are still great. Even though I have been doing puppetry for the past seven years I am still in awe by those on the Jim Henson team and I know I always will be no matter how much I practice and perform. :smile:

Lu775

Reaction score
I also got this DVD for Christmas, thanks to Lunatic Daring! :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Good things come in ugly packages!

For Christmas I got a DVD player (FINALLY!!) and the following DVD's

A Verry Merry Muppetr Christmas Movie
2 Generic Gumby DVD set...
UHF
Inspector Gadget's Last Case (a friend bought it for me)
and of course this one (I also purchased Oggy and the Cocoroaches volume one...)

And Boy... I had high expectations that were totally blown away by this small and simple disk! The best DVD I own, my personal favorite! If I had recieved a multi disk DVD player, It would always be in there! I've seen every skit at least twice by now! I love them all, even the weaker skits.

I didn't exactly love Scrap Fi-ap (It freaks me out, but it's a great excersize in how complex the Puppets can become, with lights and smoke) and Big Bird's Walk... that one was totally weird!!!! Also freaked me out! But I am glad I get to see even these two whenever I want!

The skits that I absolutely adore are:
Octopus's Garden
The Computer Lunch
Monster Family
Accustom to your Face
Business Business
The Wild Concerto
Change of Face
and of course Manah Manah!

If you think about it, there are 4 Sesame Street characters (excluding Kermit, of course) including prototypes for future characters..

Big Bird obvipously, but we also see Manah Manah (even though his name was changed several times) a Brown Grover (performed by Frank Oz no less!) and the Cookie Monster ancestor with fangs and green fur!

This is by far the best DVD I own, and I will enjoy it for years to come!
:big_grin:

dstrohmeng

Reaction score
New Cover Released?

Hi,

I was at an FYE store in Rochester, NY and saw the Muppets Magic DVD with a different cover. I believe it has the same content on the disc, but with a new cover. Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3379000519&category=2296

If this is a different disc, please post a reply.

If anyone is still having trouble finding the disc, it has also started to show up at MediaPlay. I finally saw it there about a week after I ordered it from Amazon.

Dave

jediX

Reaction score
It should be the same as the original.