Your Thoughts: Emmet Otter DVD

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
hey gang,

I got my copy in the mail lastnight. I watched EVERY thing (even the movie it self). I really did enjoy it. Yes, it is a lil sad that Disney didnt let HIT! use Kermit, but if you've never seen it b4 you wouldnt notice! :smile: Really! The new never b4 seen stuff REALLY makes up for kermit not being in the *new* Emmet dvd. But like I sayed IF i ever feel like seeing Kermit in it I can just pop in my ol 1996 Disney/Buena Vista vhs tape! :smile: I give the NEW Emmet dvd an A+ here. :zany:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I just got finished watching everything on the disc. What a nice set of bonus materials! I have to say, the bloopers were probably my favorite part (aside from the special itself, of course). Hearing Frank Oz as Ma Otter exclaim "Sweet Jesus!" on the millionth take of the drum rolling out the door cracked me up!

:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
They may not be one of the top 5, but they are in the same market as Disney (HIT is pretty big in the children's market), and Disney does not want to support any competitor, and does not just give their characters out. It's a little sad, but they want to keep Mickey, Winnie, and now Kermit in their house.
Do you know why Hit! was allowed to keep in the "Starring Jim Henson's Muppets" credit in the opening? After all, this credit was removed from the first few DVD releases (although this credit was in the bonus episode found in Dance Your Cares Away, perhaps it was a mistake). Did Hit! need permission to use the Muppets name in the credits?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Do you know why Hit! was allowed to keep in the "Starring Jim Henson's Muppets" credit in the opening? After all, this credit was removed from the first few DVD releases (although this credit was in the bonus episode found in Dance Your Cares Away, perhaps it was a mistake). Did Hit! need permission to use the Muppets name in the credits?
By The Way, I was refferring to the Fraggle Rock: The Complete First Season DVD in that post, not Emmit Otter.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Okay, well I've seen this release of "Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas" (1996 Buena Vista home video release)
http://www.muppetcentral.com/collectibles/muppetpics/video_jhv_emmet.jpg

Can anyone tell me if, between that and this new DVD release, is the whole special in its entirety available?
From what I understand, the major thing cut from the DVD is Kermit's appearance. And I understand there's some other scenes cut from the VHS (although Kermit is still on there). Are these scenes cut from that VHS tape on the new DVD? If so, then by having both of these I could probably actually cobble together a complete special?

That would be really cool, if so.
:smile:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Do you know why Hit! was allowed to keep in the "Starring Jim Henson's Muppets" credit in the opening?
The word Muppet is not owned by Disney. The word Muppet is also still usable by Henson and Sesame Workshop. Fraggle Rock, Emmet Otter, etc. can all say the word "Muppet" "Muppets", or "Muppeteer". Likewise Sesame Street still calls characters the "Sesame Street Muppets" and they still have "Anything Muppets". No legal deals needed. However since "The Muppets" (Kermit and the gang) are most commonly associated with the term "Muppet", the Henson doesn't plaster it on all their stuff as much, as they are tying to distance themselves from being know for something they don't own and known as just "That Muppet Company" (but if you look they still use it.) It can be a tricky thing to explain without going to far into the copyright, trademark, and property laws -- but Henson has as much right to call the Gobo a Muppet, as Disney can call Kermit one, and Sesame call Grover one. They all have rights to use the term - it is not owned by just one of them (However, I think, that the Henson Company can't call any new - post 2004 - creations "Muppets" to differentiate them from the Disney properties). Sesame still uses it all the time for their characters too.

Now as to why they didn't use "Jim Henson's Muppets" on the past DVDs is beyond me.

jediX

Reaction score
Oye. I've been looking for this for over a month now and absolutely no stores -- Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Media Play, Suncoast, etc have it. Was this released only in limited online distribution or something?

...not like I need yet another cut release, considering that I already have both the VHS from way back as well as that dvd from a few years ago. I guess I'll be saving my ten bucks. :wink:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I just bought mine at Target on Thursday. It seems it is finally starting to show up in stores with the other holidy DVDs.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Yeah, MuppetsRule, I finally found a copy near me as well. Picked it up today (for 6.95$ CANADIAN!!! That's like 4 dollars american) so I am thrilled, but I have yet to watch it.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I picked one up a week ago. I enjoyed and still have the older version from the VHS with Kermit. I love them both and still love the new one as much as the older version. I can't wait to show others and tell them about some of the stuff that different then the older version. Go buy it now! :smile: