Your Thoughts: "Families Stand Together" Sesame Street Special

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a reminder that this Wednesday night on PBS, Sesame Street and PBS will be presenting an all new hour-long prime time special, "Families Stand Together: Feeling Secure In Tough Times". The special premieres at 8 pm eastern on September 9.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2009/090109.shtml

After you watch the show, post here and let us know what you thought of the special.

If you missed the special, it's now available to view in it's entirety on-line at...

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/toughtimes

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought it was a good special. The scenes with Grover were funny. It was funny how Grover completely forgot about his own work history.

Also, did anybody else think that that banjo (or was it guitar?) player seen in the final song looked like a Muppet version of Jerry Nelson?

Haydensmommy

Reaction score
Being an unemployed, single mom this special helped a lot. Its funny that I was watching Sesame Street when my son was in bed. I've had people tell me over and over that something will come along and not to stress so much. But it took the Muppets, whom I grew up with, to make me believe it! lol

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Also, did anybody else think that that banjo (or was it guitar?) player seen in the final song looked like a Muppet version of Jerry Nelson?
You mean this guy? Yes, he looks like a Muppet version of Mr. Nelson. I got word straight from some of the Sesame Street puppeteers that the character was designed to be a caricature of Jerry Nelson, and they ever called the character "Jerry" on the set.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
You mean this guy? Yes, he looks like a Muppet version of Mr. Nelson. I got word straight from some of the Sesame Street puppeteers that the character was designed to be a caricature of Jerry Nelson, and they ever called the character "Jerry" on the set.
He was even preformed or voiced by Jerry. I thought the special was pretty good.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of PBS stations will show it later. I checked at Tough Pigs and a lot of those folks haven't seen it yet due to their PBS stations having different schedules. (Same with mine...my PBS is showing it on Friday at 4 in the morning!):batty:

The clips and things I've seen promoting it look good and I'm looking forward to it. I did have a question, though. For those who have seen it, did the "Jerry" Muppet with the guitar get to sing a song during the special?

Convincing John

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The Jerry Muppet did sing, but simultaneously with Elmo.

I thought it was a neat special, Grover was a definite highlight whenever he showed up. And Elmo took everything rather well, don't you think?

Drtooth

Reaction score
He was refered to as "Mr. Jerry" by Elmo at the beginning of the special. Clearly it was a tribute to him. Couldn't tell if Jerry really did perform him or not.

Depressing special. Very depressing. I like the idea of this a million times more than the war specials (I hate hate hate the fact they made muppets go out there... Jim wouldn't have been happy at ALL). And frankly, shipping Elmo's Dad off to war, Laying Elmo's mother off of work... I don't care if he has 90% of the show, they really are giving it to Elmo... and HARD! Ouch!

At the risk of sounding political, they needed to have a Grouch radio host named Trash Limbaugh or Michael Garbage saying nasty, borderline traitorous talk about the government and how they shouldn't help at the risk of them paying taxes on their mansions... and then having someone come up and say, "Why are we STILL listening to you? You sold us all the garbage that happened the last 8 years we're still struggling through!" (I'm sorry... but really... am I the only one that remembers which side mostly got us into this mess in the first place?)

Loved Grover's part in the whole special... they even referenced all his jobs. I was afraid he got fired from all of them, and the special was gonna be about him!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
He was refered to as "Mr. Jerry" by Elmo at the beginning of the special. Clearly it was a tribute to him. Couldn't tell if Jerry really did perform him or not.
I missed the first few seconds, so I missed that part. I'd be surprised if he actually performed him (Nelson didn't seem to perform any other characters in the special), but I think he pre-reccorded the voice.