Your Thoughts: "Families Stand Together" Sesame Street Special

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I thought the show was good made me feel a little bit better about things with my life. thought Al Rocer did good, and this was the first time i really thought of Elmo as cute. Elmo can be so well rounded. I thought it was great!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Would anyone who saw the special be interested in writing up a review for The Muppet Mindset? If so, PM or e-mail me and let me know. :big_grin:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I would but i have the memory of forgetfull Jones so I would not rembere much. Why don't we have a Forgetful Jones Smily?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Just a reminder that this Wednesday night on PBS, Sesame Street and PBS will be presenting an all new hour-long prime time special, "Families Stand Together: Feeling Secure In Tough Times". The special premieres at 8 pm eastern on September 9.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2009/090109.shtml

After you watch the show, post here and let us know what you thought of the special.

If you missed the special, it's now available to view in it's entirety on-line at...

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/toughtimes
Thanks for the link, Phil. Unfortunately, I didn't see it because my local station aired Obama's Presidential address or something. The only thing is Sesame Workshop videos don't always work very well on my computer. It might not work for me this way either. I'll have to see what happens with that.

SSLFan

Reaction score
I caught the last 25 minutes of the special. Loved Grover's bits & Elmo was pretty..."sweet" in it too. I like it when muppets are seen with there families for some reason. This special was a very nice way to address the economic issues going on today in America. And agree with Drtooth, I liked this special a lot more than the military special(s).

Side note:

Okay, I know someone is going to hate me for saying this(and in all honesty, I have held this in for quite a while), but...

while I thought this was a VERY informative, well done, & much needed special to explain to children what was going on, isn't it kind of weird that a 40th anniversary TV special was pretty much abandoned instead for an hour long special addressing the economy situation? In fact, I will not call it weird, but rather sad. Not sad because there will not be a 40th Bday special, but the fact that it's possible that SW did not have enough money to produce the 2 specials at once? Idk...

Your thoughts please?

Edit:

Also, I am still grateful for all the other things we have been getting for 40th anniversary stuff by the way. I just wanted to address this topic.

Drtooth

Reaction score
while I thought this was a VERY informative, well done, & much needed special to explain to children what was going on, isn't it kind of weird that a 40th anniversary TV special was pretty much abandoned instead for an hour long special addressing the economy situation? In fact, I will not call it weird, but rather sad. Not sad because there will not be a 40th Bday special, but the fact that it's possible that SW did not have enough money to produce the 2 specials at once? Idk...
Good Question! And there is an answer. I believe SS stepped in to make this special, but with the help of quite a few producers (Including David Letterman!) And I really think they needed to get this sort of thing out to kids a lot more than a 40th anniversary... this is really affecting kids in a negative way.

But I do see what you're talking about. Something just says "we can't afford to do this right now." And they really can't. While some producers and production companies were needed to make this special, they were doing it for a very important cause. For SS to have a 40th anniversary, they'd need the same producing power... and frankly, there isn't much call for the same type of people to basically give them a birthday party...

Rest assured, I want one too... badly. But I don't think we're gonna get one, outside of a primetime aired episode. Very disappointing, but if anyone knows recession and the effects of it, it's Sesame Workshop... (really... if more people had money and bought those Elmo Live dolls we really would have seen something).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of PBS stations will show it later. I checked at Tough Pigs and a lot of those folks haven't seen it yet due to their PBS stations having different schedules. (Same with mine...my PBS is showing it on Friday at 4 in the morning!):batty:

The clips and things I've seen promoting it look good and I'm looking forward to it. I did have a question, though. For those who have seen it, did the "Jerry" Muppet with the guitar get to sing a song during the special?

Convincing John
Thanks for that info, John. I can't seem to get it on the website on my computer, so I'll just have to keep my eyes open for when my local PBS station plans to show it.