Your Thoughts: Horton Hears a Who

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Guys, last week, I saw on DVD Horton Hears a Who and I would like to know what you thoght of it. I thoght it was pretty good, espicaly the song they sang at the end.

Redsonga

Reaction score
It was a little too random for me, Horton's character was changed a bit too much :frown:. Some parts were funny but I like it more when jokes came from the world around him more than Horton himself :smile:. It would have been much better I think if they hadn't made the mayor's son into such a stereotype too...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I haven't seen the new version, I should check it out so I can properly judge. I almost wish they had remade The Lorax, since its message is still so relevant nowadays. Then again, it probably wouldn't be nearly as good as the original cartoon version, hehe.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
It was cute. I wouldnt go out and buy it this second, but I wouldnt not be happy if I got it as a present or something.

But for me to actually think it enjoyable is amazing considering I dont really like Jim Carrey

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
It was cute. I wouldnt go out and buy it this second, but I wouldnt not be happy if I got it as a present or something.

But for me to actually think it enjoyable is amazing considering I dont really like Jim Carrey
Yeah normally I don't like Jim Carrey but he was really funny in this movie. I thought it was very funny, but all my friends thought it would be a kids movie 'til I convinced them to go see it. But the Emo kid Jojo thing was sorta predictable.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I sort of want to see this movie, but I don't have the money for it now. Maybe in a few years if sells for under $10, I'd feel better about buying it. Same with Kung Fu Panda... which I also haven't seen but would like to.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I haven't seen the new version, I should check it out so I can properly judge. I almost wish they had remade The Lorax, since its message is still so relevant nowadays. Then again, it probably wouldn't be nearly as good as the original cartoon version, hehe.
Yeah, I'd suspect the Lorax would just bounce up and down and make farty jokes and pop culture references.... :smile:

Anyway, Horton shows the same problems I've had with all Blue Sky productions as of late. Great concept, great animation, decent script and execution. They have to get some better writers in there studios and write real thought provoking, well thought out stories, ideas, and dialogue.

And I really think Jim Carrey, much as I like him, hasn't quite gotten to the point Robin Williams got to. Clearly, we're seeing Jim try to be something allong the Robin Williams Genie (form Aladdin, of course) in Horton, but he isn't even half way their. of course, thankfully, the character doesn't come off as schizophrenic as the previews did... but hardly what he should have been... a quite, kind hearted lug.

And I really think that the real stars of the film were Steve Carell and (especially) Carol Burnett. And of course the narrator was pretty good too. But certainly, these 2 did much, much better than Jim in this film.

All and all, the best of the 3 posthumous Dr. Seuss movies... but the competition is the Grinch and Cat in the Hat, so it really didn't have to do much.

I'd give it a B- maybe C+.....

Redsonga

Reaction score
*wispers* I like The Grinch :smile:. To me, The Cat and The Hat is the worst...

King of Eight

Reaction score
The Cat and the Hat was terrible. I hated the Grinch the first time I saw it, but we now own it and I actually enjoy watching it.

As far as Horton goes, we have that too. And I actually don't mind watching this movie twenty times in a row with my four year old. I thought Jim Carrey was very good in it, but I don't like the cheesiness of the ending.

Drtooth

Reaction score
*wispers* I like The Grinch :smile:. To me, The Cat and The Hat is the worst...
I have to admit... Grinch I liked. Deep down it at least tries to be a sweet movie... plus, I really liked Jeffery Tambor in it. And Jim Carrey... at least you can see his antics (which is 90% of his funny)... seems like he was over compensating for passing on The Mask 2.... but it was decent... Cat in the Hat was inadvisable. Remember, They based the Grinch movie partially on the TV special, so they had a half hour to stretch into 90 minutes. The Cat in the Hat cartoon is pretty obscure, as far as things go... Only time I really saw it referenced was in Angry Beavers. Plus, much as I like Mike Myers.... I don't think he should have been cast. And the whole thing looked like a bad trip.