1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Your Thoughts: "I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story"

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Phillip, May 5, 2015.

1. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

It is available in stores. I know it's at Barnes and Noble, apparently (it's not at the ones near me, but their site said it was at one near my internship, though I couldn't find it).

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

We only have one Barnes and Noble in my town (way on the other side of town), but after checking it out, they apparently don't have it either.

I also checked BAM's site, and they say they have it in stock, but again, there's no clarity that it's available in-store or not.

3. SpookyMania

SpookyMania Member

Barnes and Noble may not have it immediately in the store but they can order it in. That's how I got my copy.

4. D'Snowth

That's what I'm asking: will this be available in-store, or does it have to be ordered?

5. SpookyMania

SpookyMania Member

It'll have to be ordered. They told me it won't be available in the stores otherwise.

6. D'Snowth

And I'm really getting sick of this. They always have to keep making it more and more of a hassle to purchase things that are actually worth buying - no wonder retail is hurting. It's such a drawn-out process of having to look up an item, place it on order, confirm all of your pertinent information (name, number, address, credit information, yadda-yadda-yadda), print out the paper work to sign, wait for it to arrive, and hope it isn't damaged on arrival (once had to do with this a special edition release of H.R. PUFNSTUF, the package was delivered completely crushed, so I had to return it, re-order it, and wait for it to be sent again). I mean buying it in-store is an in-and-out process with little to no hassle whatsoever, so what's the big deal? Oh yeah, I keep forgetting: we're lazy America. Buying an item in-store would require you to actually get up off your fat butt, leave the house, drive to wherever it is you're going, walk in, grab what you're looking for, wait in line, exchange funds with the cashier, get back into the car, and drive all the way home again.

Zappetman likes this.
  7. SpookyMania

SpookyMania Member

I dunno, I had pretty good luck when I bought it. I ordered it directly to the store because they don't ask for any money down and you can see if there's any damage to the case before you pay for it. There also was no S+H fee. They just asked for my email and said I'd hear from them in a week. Literally about five days later, my copy came in and I bought it up. And the person I ordered it from actually had the idea to order an extra copy to keep in the store just in case. Pretty good thinking on his part.

8. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I finally saw this documentary film...WOW. I love how Caroll & Debbie Spinney's relationship is emphasized, and the depth and innocence shown through Caroll's narration. Great interview material from Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson (RIP), Sonia Manzano, Emilio Delgado, Bob McGrath, Loretta Long, Joan Ganz Cooney, Cheryl Henson, Matt Vogel, Victor DiNapoli, Norman Stiles, and J. Milligan to boot.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, be prepared to laugh (first date stories), cry (when Caroll learns of Jim Henson's death), and learn a lot (how Big Bird is operated, where Oscar got his name from, traveling to China, etc). 4.5/5 stars

MelissaY1 and heralde like this.
  9. FraggleFrick

FraggleFrick Active Member

Did anyone else cry throughout the entire thing?:wisdom:

heralde likes this.
  10. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Was any one else in tears when you got to see Jerry Nelson?

Pork and MelissaY1 like this.
  11. FraggleFrick

Oh yeah...

12. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Definitely through the Big Bird in China segments. :cry:

13. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. We saw the screening of the film when it premiered at the NY Doc festival in November of 2014. Jerry's widow, Jan was sitting a few rows behind us. I started bawling. And Yes i cried through most of the film as well.

14. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I watched the documentary twice and I loved it! I learned so much about Caroll Spinney that I never knew before. I never knew he had such a rocky childhood, I think when I watched all of that, I wanted to hug Caroll. I think anybody who has been bullied or teased for anything can relate to what he went through, I know I did. You can definitely tell how everyone who was interviewed for the film really appreciated Caroll and everything he's done since day one of the show. The story of how he met Debbie was really sweet, you can tell they really love each other. And the scene where they reunited with the little girl they worked with for "Big Bird in China" was sweet as well. I think I almost cried when that part came up.

I appreciate Caroll more than ever thanks to this documentary. Thank you, Caroll for all that you've done.

MikaelaMuppet and MelissaY1 like this.
  15. FraggleFrick

The little girl in Big Bird in China made me sob. I found it so kind that Caroll came back to see her.

MikaelaMuppet, heralde and MelissaY1 like this.
  16. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I'm glad we got Behind the Scenes but, I wish we got some MFC.

17. A wonderful film about a great puppeteer. I thought that the filmmakers told Caroll's story very well. If you haven't seen it, please treat yourself to this great film. :)

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  18. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

At least four times.

19. I teared up too :)

20. Pork

Pork Active Member

Absolutely loved this documentary! It was very detailed and personal which made me feel like I almost got to meet him myself.

Any other docos similar to this about other muppeteers/puppeteers?