Your Thoughts: It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas

WiGgY

Reaction score
Re: sex and violence

PS - Sam is a BALD Eagle... what the heck is with that ridiculous mop top? [/B]

If you listen to Sam in the scene where Kermit says he can't pay anyone for a year you can hear Sam say "How will I pay for my propishia" (spelling way off I know) Propishia is a hair growing pill so that explains his hair. I thought it was funny but maybe they should boost the sound on that line for later releases.

beaker

Reaction score
Thanks Emmy and Luke! Yeah, it just felt like the right time to come back.

I really liked pezbalubah's comment about how it'll always remain the theatre no matter who owns it. I almost forgot about another interpreted metaphor of the film. How symbolicly the theatre represents our love for the Muppets.

I think in the next few days you will see some of us getting carried away in a good way...but hey, why not? We need something to be giddy about, and I'd say the last few weeks definately give us this.

I would really be curious about the Nielsens. I'm very happy it was on the biggest channel prime time Friday, I know Thursday is a more coveted spot...but the night after Thanksgiving aint bad(Perhaps we'll see if this was a better air date decision than
the December dates)

But I have hope this is a step in the right direction(not just the film, but everything recently)

And yes, I would agree...it is about the Muppet community as a whole whatever site you chose to affiliate yourself with. I know Im going to try to make an effort to be the best person I can be.

...sometimes it takes Kermit addressing a fan nation with various comments to slap us back into reality.

murgatoad

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker

I would really be curious about the Nielsens. I'm very happy it was on the biggest channel prime time Friday, I know Thursday is a more coveted spot...but the night after Thanksgiving aint bad(Perhaps we'll see if this was a better air date decision than
the December dates
It didn't do so hot, actually, but it probably would have done far worse on a Sunday up against actual competition such as, say, an ABC/Disney Christmas movie or "The Simpsons".

Here's what Zap2it.com has to say:

"Thanks to "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," NBC won Friday night with a 6.9 rating/13 share in households even though it only took the final hour of primetime. CBS was second with a 4.9/9, followed by ABC, 4.5/8 and FOX, 2.2/4

Among adults 18 to 49, NBC also led with a 4.1 rating. ABC averaged a 2.4, CBS 1.9 and FOX 1.4.

CBS started things off at 8 p.m. with "48 Hour Investigates" surgical procedures to lose weight (just in time for the holidays), 6.5/12. NBC was second with its movie "It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie," 6.0/11, while ABC came in third with "America's Funniest Home Videos," 5.2/10. FOX rounded out the top four with "The Brady Bunch in the White House," 2.3/5.

At 9 p.m., "Hack" held on to CBS' lead with a 6.0/11, ahead of the Muppets on NBC, 5.4/10. ABC went the comedic route with "The Drew Carey Show," 3.3/6, and "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" 2.9/5. FOX stuck with its movie, 2.1/4.

NBC's "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," 9.3/18, was the night's highest-rated show and easily won the 10 p.m. hour. "20/20" gave ABC a boost to second place with a 5.3/10, enough to beat "U2's Beautiful Day," 2.3/5, on CBS.

Ratings information is taken from fast national data. All numbers are preliminary and subject to change. "

Now, what remains to be seen is the Muppet movie's score in the 18-49 demographic. That too is significant, although we have no info on that so far. FWIW.

As for me, also FWIW, no, I didn't watch it. I did download the Moulin Rouge clip at NBC.com last night after we got back from shopping, and it was pretty cute. Too bad. Henson's gotta learn to stop turning off the people who might otherwise be inclined to give the Muppets a second, or even third, chance.

wombat woman

Reaction score
worth unlurking for!

:cool: *happy-dancing wombat* :cool:

Any Muppet project that has me falling off the couch having giggle-fits is a definite keeper. Loved the red-neck Who's, loved Whoopi as the boss, loved the snowman, but mostly I loved having the whole gang being their outrageous, wonderful selves.

So some of the voices were off--the performers will get there, I have no doubt ("No Doubt!"). And I really wanted more musical numbers (I always want musical numbers). But in all I'm glad of the direction the Henson folks took this--zany leavened with a bit of sweetness, rather than sentimental with a bit of silliness. That's what makes the Muppets so Muppet-y. (Mind you, MCC is still my favorite of the movies, so I don't object to a bit of sentimentality. Just go easy on it.)

I also loved the adult innuendos & quick shots of, say, Scooter cage-dancing. :eek: I don't think they were any worse than, say, some of the stuff in Disney's Beauty & the Beast

I pos-def agree that Fozzie was much more in character this time out, as was Kermie. But IM(not-so)HO, Miss Piggy had the best parts. We got to see so many sides of her--as the (acknowledged!) resident diva among her fellow Muppets, as the struggling actress, as the fierce karate-chopping heroine, and as the sweet pig who needs her frog.

And I really, REALLY, REALLY want a full-length version of the divine Miss P. singing "Santa Baby"!

Ta,
Wombat Woman

"Why, yes, I am from one of those Muppet internet fan sites."

murgatoad

Reaction score
Re: worth unlurking for!

Originally posted by wombat woman
[But IM(not-so)HO, Miss Piggy had the best parts. We got to see so many sides of her--as the (acknowledged!) resident diva among her fellow Muppets, as the struggling actress, as the fierce karate-chopping heroine, and as the sweet pig who needs her frog.

And I really, REALLY, REALLY want a full-length version of the divine Miss P. singing "Santa Baby"!

Ta,
Wombat Woman

"Why, yes, I am from one of those Muppet internet fan sites."[/COLOR]
For that scene alone (downloaded from NBC.com), I almost regret skipping the show. It wasn't half bad...

Natalie

Reaction score
I LOVED Piggy in it! Her voice was a little off at first, and I couldn't understand some of what she said, but then it got better. She looked great too

dbarrie

Reaction score
New Muppet Christmas movie

Hi everyone,

My name is Don, and I live in Toronto, Canada. This is my 1st posting on the forum. I've been a Muppet fan my entire life! In fact, I've been visiting on the Muppet Central email list ever since it got started! My favourite movie is the "Muppets Take Manhattan," but I have the other ones as well, on DVD. I loved the latest Muppet Christmas movie that was on TV last night (I was able to catch it on the Buffalo NBC affiliate). I'd like to get a copy of the film, but it seems to only be available on VHS. Does anybody know why it's not available on DVD? I was going to buy it through NBC's Web site, but I'd rather hang on to my $ until it comes out on DVD. Other members may like to know the DVD details if you have any to give. Otherwise, I guess we'll all have to write some letters to the JHC and NBC!

D.

monkeymuppet

Reaction score
EmmyMik // frogboy4

A rave Scooter and a bouncer Beaker would be great. Then you could have Statler, waldorf, and Sam. Just imagine what the playset would look like. & Glowsticks for everyone!

Ryan

Reaction score
Well, I personally didn't like this scene at all. I don't wanna sound like the wholesome good boy angel, but it just didn't seem right. I mean, I figurd it wouldn'ty be too bad, but seeing Scooter like that was a little disturbing. And the Sam thing....isn't a pacifier the sign of doing ecstacy? I dunno...but I did like the Beaker and Bunsen bouncers....and Howard the Pig is HILLARIOUS!!! I loved it ... too funny. :big_grin:

beaker

Reaction score
Heh, Im not surprised about people's adverse reaction to the club scene...I thought it was brilliant, and to me was a little wink and a nod besides the muppet fan site mention(being as Ive been to my share of industrial rave clubs and muppet fan sites) So seeing Sam Eagle with glow sticks and German techno club regalia Scooter was quite great. Overall, it seems like this film was a shock to a number of people's systems, and that's good. Instead of churning out some complacent sentimental sludge, JHC really went all out to appeal a wide range of people.

Yes, some of the human acting and parodies were near unbareable, but that Moulin Rouge parody more than made up for the other sendoffs. And what do ya know, good to see Frank Oz back as Yoda. ^_^

Finally, how surreal was it to see that foul mouthed Triumph talking with Kermit?

Anyways, cant wait til everyone on here and newcomers voice their reactions to VMMCM!