Your Thoughts: Kermit and Fozzie on The View

Muppet Loverr

Reaction score
I really just wish, it was Kermit and Piggy...But she did do the Lat season, so I guess its Fozzie's turn!

pattywack

Reaction score
Guys, how bout we just stay away from complaining about Piggy and Kermit? I get where you're coming from, but we're here to discuss the interview, so just be happy Fozzie is there.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Somebody here made the point that people often ask Kermit about Piggy, and why? BECAUSE THEY'RE INTERESTED IN THE TWO OF THEM. Given the fact that much of the world has moved on and left the Muppets behind, the Muppet crew's ignoring or denying that fact is just plain stupid on their part. The general public is not going to ask Kermit about Fozzie. Or Gonzo. Or Rowlf or Dr. Teeth. There is one character in particular they're going to ask about. I know you know who I'm talking about. But Steve and co. seem pretty clueless, don't they?

IMO that radio interview was a wake-up call to Steve and Eric and the rest of the bumblers - welcome to the 21st Century! The century of South Park, of Family Guy, of CGI and other technical advances that make the Muppets' former cleverness look as dated as Howdy Doody.

But I think it's no use. They're going to continue to sabotage the strongest memory people have of the Muppets because they're still blaming their problems on the wrong things. And because of that, if that Muppet movie does get made, they're going to get another wake-up call when they check the box office receipts.
Well, well, well, where to begin? First, Steve Whitmire and the rest of the Muppet performers seem far from clueless in my opinion. The interviews with Kermit and Fozzie were fairly clever. I enjoyed them, anyway.

Second, Family Guy is FAR from clever. It's just a string of random jokes and pop culture references that have nothing to do with their storylines. The characters are EXTREMELY inconsistent, and their style of humor is completely immature most often. If that's what passes for cleverness these days, then I'd be proud to say that the Muppets are dated. At least you can say they are clever.

I really don't understand why you think the Muppets are sabotaging themselves. They're blaming their problems on something? That's new to me. I have great faith in the Muppets, their message, and their box office potential (which isn't important to me, so long as they're still entertaining to me).

Anyway, I suppose you're entitled to your opinion. Just expressing mine.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The Kermit and Piggy relationship was at it's best in all three origanal Muppet movies. Mostly in MTM.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Tut, tut, tut!

I really like Kermit and Piggy's relationship, but I think it gets old in the interviews sometimes. After all, they've been saying this since the 1970s. Kermit is no different in interviews about Miss Piggy now than he was when Jim was performing him. On Henson's Place, Piggy insisted they were a couple, while Kermit seemed to deny the relationship. He kept saying "I don't want to talk about it." On screen, they're a great couple. Off screen, they're just friends (or at least, Kermit thinks so). They're like Don Lockwood and Leena Lemont from Singin' In the Rain, only with Kermit and Piggy there's a bit of actual affection between the two.
I am going to have to disagree with you here, but luckily it's not a matter of opinion--I can give you proof. If you think Kermit has been saying the same old thing "since the 1970s" you are wrong--here are (just) two of my favorite examples:

1. Check out the 30th anniversary special when Johnny Mathis is singing Never Before to the happy couple. Keep in mind that this wasn't a scripted show (OK--I know I'm treating Kermit and Piggy like people with free will, but so be it.)--it was a tribute to their 30 years together. In other words, Kermit was not PLAYING "Kermit the Frog who is pretending to be married to Miss Piggy"--he is, in fact, just himself, Kermit the Frog, sitting with his wife and celebrating the success of their "company" together. And Piggy does actually say, "happily married frog" and Kermit does actually give you that "aw, shucks, honey--don't embarrass me on television" look--very sweet.
2. And if you want a more "interview-y" example, OMG! Check out Kermit on Reading Rainbow with Levar Burton. They are in a library (no Miss Piggy in sight, no Miss Piggy in the episode) and they are just talking about the wonder of books and libraries and Levar catches Kermit reading "How to Pamper Your Pig." Kermit's mortification at being caught is GREAT--sure to melt the heart of any woman who's ever wanted to be hankered after, and sure to elicit laughs from any fellow who has been knocked head-over-heels by a blonde bombshell.
3. (OK--I couldn't stop with just two) After MTI (which was, btw, Steve and Frank and not Jim and Frank, the frog and the pig are being interviewed together and Kermit does not seem to mind AT ALL that Piggy is admiring his physique (a very funny bit). This is not the reaction of someone who dislikes the attention of a woman. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I was NOT INTERESTED in someone (back in my young and carefree days), I was put off by comments about my figure, which I considered none of their business. Kermit seems--as he often is--shy and somewhat hesitant to talk about personal things in public, but it is a charming sort of shyness--not a skanky one.

Lastly, for all the folks who don't want to talk about the frog-pig dynamic, I'm going to replay with as much maturity as I can muster: KERMIT STARTED IT! If the durn frog would just blush and look embarrassed and say, "Oh, gee, guys, that's, you know, personal stuff. Miss Piggy and I, um, we, well--it's complicated, but I don't like to talk about, you know, personal stuff like that. Why don't you ask me about our Grammy-winning album?" OR, if he would turn the tables on them and start asking about THEIR relationships, which is a very "Jim" thing to do, then that would satisfy BOTH sides--those that think they're epic lovers and those that think Kermit ought to be some sort of player. (Ugh--sorry. Couldn't help myself.) I WOULDN'T have brought it up here if Kermit hadn't been such a weasel about it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh? Weasel? I thought Kermit was a frog.
Wocka wocka.

Needed to do that and restore some levity to the topic. Carry on.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
OR, if he would turn the tables on them and start asking about THEIR relationships, which is a very "Jim" thing to do, then that would satisfy BOTH sides--those that think they're epic lovers and those that think Kermit ought to be some sort of player. (Ugh--sorry. Couldn't help myself.) I WOULDN'T have brought it up here if Kermit hadn't been such a weasel about it.
Well, I don't think Kermit should be a player. I do like the relationship to a degree (it can be cute), it just seems overplayed (in either way, sometimes). Too much Kermit and Piggy mushy-mushiness is not good, in my opinion. Too much of the opposite isn't so great either. That's why I liked some of the other interviews with Kermit and Fozzie. They didn't really focus quite so much on Miss Piggy. Actually, this one didn't have too much in it either, really. It just didn't allow for enough Kermit and Fozzie interaction.

:mad: :smile: :embarrassed:

I still think they should focus more on the Kermit/Fozzie/Gonzo relationship. They're funny together.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well I think Kermit and Fozzie where great on the Veiw. I love Kermits line about Woppie being God on the show. I also thought that it was funny that Kermit said they where still doing the Muppet Show just with no camera or aduiace. I think Kermit was really doing good on the view better then on the radio. I just wish that they would get a die hard Muppet fan to interview the Muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Second, Family Guy is FAR from clever. It's just a string of random jokes and pop culture references that have nothing to do with their storylines. The characters are EXTREMELY inconsistent, and their style of humor is completely immature most often. If that's what passes for cleverness these days, then I'd be proud to say that the Muppets are dated. At least you can say they are clever.

Family guy USED to be clever. After the comeback, they fell into the same traps in every episode, and then muddled into what they became now. But then again, i'll take their string of Pop Culture cut scenes over Will and Grace's "How many celebrities can we name in a half hour." crap. Now THAT was a show that was over rated.

All the cleverness seeped into the other project, American Dad. See what happens when you have a plot, and just don't get out of every corner with a cut joke?

The cut jokes I don't mind, but stuff like Sneekers O'Tool and Uncle Sam's nipples? What the heck is that?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Family guy USED to be clever. After the comeback, they fell into the same traps in every episode, and then muddled into what they became now. But then again, i'll take their string of Pop Culture cut scenes over Will and Grace's "How many celebrities can we name in a half hour." crap. Now THAT was a show that was over rated.

All the cleverness seeped into the other project, American Dad. See what happens when you have a plot, and just don't get out of every corner with a cut joke?
I do like American Dad better. It seems to still have it's head on it's shoulders, for the most part (I can't say for sure, I haven't seen all that much of it, though).

Once in a while I find Family Guy funny, it still seems to stick to it's randomness and pop culture references, but sometimes it's pretty good. Can't say I liked the Star Wars episode, though. Which is odd, because it technically had a story. I think only laughed about four times in the whole episode.

:smile: :embarrassed: But, on the topic of Kermit and Fozzie, while I'm not a big fan of Whoopi, I love the way she interacts with the Muppets in this interview as well. It's a shame she didn't actually get any scenes with the Muppets in It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie.