Your Thoughts: Kermit and the Muppets on Jimmy Kimmel Live

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kermit will be the guest host on Jimmy Kimmel Live, all this week from Monday September 29-Friday October 3. Reportedly, Statler & Waldorf and possibly other Muppet friends will be dropping by throughout the week as well.

Find out more about ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live here...

http://abc.go.com/primetime/jimmykimmel/index.html

Let us know what you think of the appearances this week!

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I just bought a new tape and am all set this time, I didn't know there was a chance of other muppets showing up! I wonder if Jerry would be doing Statler if S & W are on? Steve would be doing kermit unless they had Kermit leave for a little while.

zach,

DrummerMan

Reaction score
Aaarrrrgggghhhh!!!

Preempted by Monday Night Football.... grrrrrr... Kermit rules, but I can't stay up until 1am to watch him. *sigh* Ok... I feel a little better now.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I looked at the site and said "Oh no I've messed some of it" and then saw football. Yes saved by the football. I can't wait. I've been ready for this a long time. I hope to see characters that u normally don't see on there. Well I'm leaving to go and get ready for it. Good night everyone. :smile:

jediX

Reaction score
Kimmel Update

According to Kermit, at least, Animal will be on Wednesday. :halo:

Mklonstage

Reaction score
Well I only stayed untill after the Uncle Frank segment. But it is great to see Kermit in action :smile: Hopefully some of the top brass at the networks will see Kermit and others interacting with stars this week and realize the draw for the Muppets is strong. The fact that kermit got more attention then hollified or hannah when he made his entrance shows the love that is out there for the muppets. Kermit didn't even need a overly short dress to get attention. I thought Kermit was in great form and having him make an entrance was a nice touch. I'm definetly looking forward to Wed when :halo: will be sitting in with the band. Also anxious to see which other muppet friends kermit decided to keep as a surprise. I must admit though i was somewhat dissapointed with :sleep: :boo: . Hopefully they will get better as the week goes on.

NikZane

Reaction score
In the Felt.

My girlfriend and I just got back from Monday night's Kimmel Show with Kermit, as audience members. We were in row 4, centre stage, maybe 8-10 feet from Kermit.

This was truly a childhood dream come true: Seeing a muppet, and Kermit no less, in the "felt".

Kermit's entrance into the studio was pre-recorded, which we watched them make from the monitors in foyeur prior to being seated. Steve Whitmire was there, practising with Kermit actions, entering the studio, walking across the stage, sitting down, doing funny close-ups etc. It was totally bizzare seeing Kermit on the end of an arm.

For the first segment of the show, Kermit's introduction, Steve was lying on the floor in clear view of the audience, his arm reaching under the chair, and he was watching a monitor in order to correctly provide Kermits line-of-sight and arm actions. I was worried at first, worried that seeing behind the scenes of a muppet would destroy the magic but thankfully, it didn't. To me it just looked like there was a man lip-syncing to Kermit's voice, not providing it.

It was fascinating to see Whitmire 'operating' Kermit. The illusion of Kermit being alive was not lost by the fact that Steve was there. Actually, whilst in character, Steve did a marvelous job of allowing Kermit to exist as an extention of himself. At one point between breaks, Steve coughed, but it was Kermit that made the action. At another time during a break, one of the production crew said something to Steve, and whilst he was answering he continued to move Kermits mouth to his reply, as though unconsciously. Was it Steve or Kermit, that the production guy was talking to? Aside from all this being seriously funny, it really seemed as though Kermit and Steve Whitmire, were one and the same.

After the first segment, when they brought the guests on, Kermit moved seats, and Steve moved to behind the chairs and was no longer visible (interesting to note that a second Kermit was used for the next segment. For one very brief moment, we witnessed a limp, frozen-in-time Kermit be covered by a black silk cloth and taken away, to be replaced by a clone. Now however, Kermit really was there alone, sans-muppeteer, sitting on the back of a chair, fully alive and animated.

Kermit was in great form, I don't think I took my eyes off of him the entire show. Although the cameras weren't on him for very much of the time throughout the taping, he still remained fully alive, moving his eyes from Jimmy to the guests and back again as they chatted, looking down to watch the monitors at the appropriate times, gazing around the studio, smiling and giggling to the audience. Even between breaks, when Whitmire chose not to rest his arm, Kermit sat there bopping to the band playing air-guitar to himself whilst production crew swarmed the stage giving notes, touching up Jimmy's makeup etc. Kermit even sat there scratching his butt at one point!

I barely remember Holyfield and Darryl Hannah, I was there for Kermit only. As I said, this was a childhood dream come true and I still can't really believe I was there, merely feet away from Kermit the Frog, resplendent and live, charming and funny, scratching his butt, coughing and clearing his throat between breaks.

If you live in the LA area, and regardless of whether you're a Kimmel fan or not, or could care less about the other guests or not, I recommend highly going to one of these Kermit shows - you will not regret it. I believe there are still tickets for the Wednesday (with Animal!), Thursday & Friday shows. Kermit did mention there being other guest muppets in addition to Animal on Wednesday. Tickets are free and you can get them from http://www.1itoa.com, by calling in (866 JIMMY TIX), or from outside the El Capitan on Hollywood Boulevard from about 2pm - 5pm.

Oh, by the way, I mentioned in another thread that I'd try to get photos from inside the studio - it didn't happen, and was not at all possible. The studio was dark and there were production and camera crew everywhere. The glow from my screen would have been a beacon and I was not willing to risk missing Kermit by being removed from the studio by security, sorry. :smile:

NikZane

Reaction score
Support for Kermit

I should also mention that it was nice to see what seemed to be massive support from the audience for Kermit. During the warm up, he received the most noise over and above both Holyfield and Hannah when the guests names were introduced, which was great.

Also, if you do go to the show, Dan (the loud and annoying crowd warmer guy for Kimmel - also from Man Show) picks 2-3 people from the audience during warm up prior to the show, to do silly little competitions (read: to drool over the "pretty girl in front row" and humiliate "loud geeky guy in back row"). Those chosen are given prizes, which are usually crappy CD's and DVD's. This week is no different, but with Kermit being there, they're also giving away little muppet packs, containing the new Muppet's Merry Xmas DVD and an awesomely cute little Kermit soft toy. I soooo wanted one, but not being either a) cute, blonde and female or b) loud and obnoxious, I wasn't chosen to participate. C'est la vie. Get one if you can, obviously the DVD you can get anywhere, and the Kermit is probably not exclusive, but is he is hella cute.

NikZane

Reaction score
Oh, and when I sat "just got back", I really mean... "got back a few hours ago". :wink:

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Thanks for all that info NikZane! Welcome to the fourm BTW! Yeah Kermit's intro's tend to be prerecorded most of the time, back around last November (wow that long ago?) Kermit was on the Killborn show and his intro was prerecorded acording so someone who went to the show. Thanks for all that backstage stuff! we love it here! and your most right, the magic is NOT lost if you see a performer with a Muppet, it make's it more specail to see! Glad you had a GREAT time! will you be going to any more shows?

Oh and new the Muppet's Merry Xmas DVD will be for sale within the next week so I guess some lucky people got the movie early!

Thank again for sharing! I actualy taped the show but fell asleep watchng it! Kermit hadn't come out yet and it was during the first break that I dozed off! LOL! Well it will be nice to watch it when I get outta college today.