1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

Your Thoughts: Muppets Live at the Hollywood Bowl September 8-10, 2017

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Sep 8, 2017.

1. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Here is the full melody even though you can't see too much you can hear the beginning of moving right along

2. BobbyBenson64

BobbyBenson64 Active Member

Hold up there was a new Wayne and Wanda skit?! This show seems to be the rebirth of that classic Muppet feeling and I couldn't be happier with it.

scooterfan360 and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

TWO new Wayne and Wanda bits.

4. Oscarfan

It was a regular shark puppet, that just bit them and dragged them out of frame.

MikaelaMuppet and scooterfan360 like this.
  5. LeahXZoot4Evur

LeahXZoot4Evur Well-Known Member

tbh the only time I could tell Zoot and Lips even opened their mouths was during the suffrage city song when they sang backup

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It was great to see Doglion included. I wonder if he was rebuilt or if it was the costume last seen in the late-1990s (if that wasn't the original). If it was the original or had existed for a long time, it's a shame he wasn't in either of the last two films (he could have replaced Timmy in the arches).

It's also a shame that Thog didn't at least appear in the opening (though an image of Thog did appear in the Muppet Labs segment). Makes me wonder if the newer Thog suit deteriorated/wore out/whatever in the seven years since he was rebuilt (though I heard some gossip at Tough Pigs that nobody wants to be inside the character, not sure where they heard it, but if true, it's kinda stupid, I know many performers have done things they didn't really want to do, and they can't find one person willing to take some discomfort for a little bit?).

In thinking about this in comparison to The Muppet Show Live, I feel like this seems a little better. The Muppet Show Live was pretty much done for the Muppet Show's 25th anniversary, which isn't a bad thing, but this show was done for the sake of giving the Muppets live exposure as opposed to celebrating any anniversary. Both shows had a lot of video footage, but most of the video footage in TMS Live was taken from past productions while, as far as I know, all video footage here was shot especially for it (I wondered if the Mahna Mahna stuff was the same from TMS Live, but I think - don't know off-hand, it's been a while since I last watched the footage on YouTube - that it's newly shot; I heard Matt Vogel makes an on-screen appearance and I don't think he was in TMS Live, and I saw a promotional image of Mahna Mahna on the town which must have been shot while the footage was). And TMS Live had quite a bit of lip-synching to existing Muppet recordings (mainly in a few cases of characters who weren't yet fully recast), while it seems all the pre-recorded singing was newly-recorded. Of course both shows heavily included songs that the Muppets have already been associated with (but I think this has a lot more original stuff for the Muppets).

Also, this one has the advantage of being made long after most of the classic core characters had been recast (though some recasts had to premier here), so we get plenty of Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Animal, and Sam in new footage, Scooter has a big part, and there's dialogue from Dr. Teeth, Janice, and Link Hogthrob (and even, I assume, Wayne and Wanda). In addition to characters who weren't present at The Muppet Show Live, including Uncle Deadly, Lips, Doglion, The Mutations, Dr. Strangepork, Crazy Harry (I think), and others (not to mention the aforementioned characters who were pretty much in early recasting stages). Of course TMS Live also had a few characters who don't appear here. It had Elmo, in one of the last Muppet/Sesame Street crossovers (which came shortly after Henson sold the characters to Sesame Workshop), as well as some characters who were still used back then but aren't used anymore (Clifford, Sal... did Johnny Fiama appear in The Muppet Show Live? I know he was at Muppet Fest but I can't remember if he appeared at all in the live show).

This time, the guest star was the guest host, which seems weird at first (and enforces fan misconception that TMS had guest hosts), but it does make sense here. With a celebrity guest hosting instead of Kermit, they don't have to worry about Kermit introducing something featuring another character from his performer (well, I guess they could have pre-recorded the audio...).

I wonder how long ago this was planned. Can't remember if it was announced before or after Steve Whitmire's departure. It'd be interesting to see if early drafts of the script (or outlines/planning material) included Rizzo in any kind of notable part, or if there were segments written with Kermit interacting with characters like Uncle Deadly, Floyd, Lew Zealand, Sweetums, or other characters currently performed by Matt Vogel.

Seeing Kermit in the Happy Feet number, his legs look kind of weird here. Almost as if he's been given longer legs (I think somebody at Tough Pigs commented that the puppet looks a little bigger here). Other instances of Kermit's whole body being shown don't look so weird, but then again, in most such instances, he's sitting down.

7. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I don't know if this was true or not, but I heard that there may have been AutoTune involved?

8. Oscarfan

Let me answer some of these:

-The new Thog puppet is stupidly huge, a couple of feet larger than the original. Looking at the set, there's no way he would've fit through the arches like the other monsters (just like his size in the M11 caused him to half to walk in front of them). I don't remember where I heard people don't like performing Thog; it might have been a podcast.

-All the footage for "Mahna Mahna" in this show was new. And the 2001 show only had two instances of lip-syncing ("Mahna Mahna" and "Can You Picture That?"). That was only a one-night thing, not a whole weekend, so it's a little easier on everyone's throats to do it live. If you watch the video, the results aren't always great - people's mics are cut in and out a bunch and miss their singing cues. Lip-syncing fixes all those issues. Plus, there's so many other elements in the Bowl show - the screens, projections and such that all depend on precise timing that lip-syncing really is the only viable solution (there's no way Eric would be able to have sung "Hello" as well if he did it live, running around the stage like that).

-This was announced in February; Steve was let go in October. Whether or not this was in the works at that point is unknown to us.

9. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

Thanks. Given that no footage has popped up online, I'm assuming this was one of the pre-taped bits?

I wondered that myself. I think DogLion was last seen on MT before this, and Thog had been MIA since I think "The Great Muppet Caper" before the 2011 rebuild. And I wouldn't think the Thog suit deteriorated in as short a span as seven years.

But it's weird that when one appears, the other is nowhere to be found.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

10. Oscarfan

The Wayne and Wanda bits were live. If you scour the TP Forum thread about the show, there's some FB links to some people's videos that have their stuff. I didn't feel comfortable sharing their pages here.

Thog was last seen in TMM before the 2011 movie, and hasn't been used much since. I think the size is the main issue; he's much bigger and has a more limited mobility.

11. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Wasn't Jerry done with full bodied characters by the late seventies-early eighties?

12. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

I am not sure where you are hearing that from, but you never really know. We know these guys can sing, so if "autotune" was used, it was probably just to correct the flat note here and there (like many artists do).

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  13. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

To those who posted the videos of :) doing "Rainbow Connection" and the finale, thank you. For us who weren't able to see the show live, this is the next best thing. :)

Yeah. We need Muppets to sing family friendly songs like that rather than "Da** Reputation" :(

BTW, I just noticed there's a smorgasbord of these vids online. I may get to watch the show in its entirety after all. Lol.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    scooterfan360 and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  14. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Another forum I belong to.

15. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Actually the last appearance of the original Thog was in episode 502 of The Muppet Show (where he was a lot bigger... due to trick photography).

I wonder if his size was an issue back when Jerry Nelson performed him. The original was one of the biggest Muppets of all time. Though they did use him quite a bit before TMS began, only for his appearances on the show to be few and far between (and his speaking appearances to be rarer). He even got left out of most numbers featuring the other full-bodied large monsters.

16. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

In case someone else likes to sing along with the music for the fireworks finale, here's the lyrics so you don't get thrown off:
    There'll be spectacle
    There'll be fantasy
    There'll be derring do
    And stuff like you would never see
    Hey! A movie!
    Yeah! We're gonna be a movie!
    Starring everybody...
    ...And me!
    There'll be heroes bold!
    There'll be comedy!
    And a lot of fuss
    That ends for us real happily
    Hey! A movie!
    We can watch it all develop!
    Starring everybody...
    ...And me!
    We'll take a world
    And set it on its ear
    Come on, join in
    We're gonna start right here
    Starring everybody
    Everybody
    Everybody
    ...And me!
    Oh, there's no fire in the fireplace
    There's no carpet on the floor
    Don't try to order dinner
    There's no kitchen anymore
    But if the road's been kinda bumpy
    And you need to rest a spell
    Well, welcome home to Happiness Hotel
    Well, welcome home to Happiness Hotel
    When the course is laid and the anchor's weighed,
    A sailor's blood begins racing.
    With our hearts unbound and our flag unfurled,
    -We're underway and off to see the world!
    *Underway and off to see the world!*

Hey, ho, we'll go anywhere the wind is blowing
    -Manly men are we!
    Sailing for adventure on the deep blue sea.
    Sailing for adventure on the deep blue sea.
    We're doing a sequel
    We're back a popular demand
    C'mon on everybody, strike up the band
    We're doing a sequel
    Another feature attraction
    Places please, light the lights, roll camera, action
    I thought it was the end
    But no my friends this is
    When we get to do it all again (Do it all again)
    Until the credits role
    We got another goal to show that
    We can do it all again
    We're doing a sequel
    It's more of the same
    Let's give it a name
    How 'bout The Muppets Again
    It's The Muppets Again
    With The Muppets again
    It's the Muppets again
    Everything is great everything is grand
    I got the whole wide world in the palm of my hand
    Everything is perfect its falling into place
    I cant seem to wipe this smile off my face
    Life's a happy song when there's someone by my side to sing along
    When your alone life can be a little rough
    It makes you feel like your three feet tall
    When its just you times can be tough
    When there's no one there to catch your fall
    Everything is great everything is grand
    I got the whole wide world in the palm of my hand
    Everything is perfect its falling into place
    I cant seem to wipe this smile off my face
    Life's a happy song when there's someone by your side to sing
    Life's a happy song when there's someone by your side to sing along
    It's no good complainin', and pointless to holler
    If she's a beauty, she'll get under your collar
    She made a monkey out of old King Kong
    I hope that somethin' better comes along
    Still, it's fun when they're fetching
    And agree to see an etching that you keep at your lily pad
    There is no solution, it's part of evolution
    The pitter-patter of soles, the little feet of tadpoles

There's no limitation to mixin' and matchin'
    Some get an itchin' for a critter they've been scratchin'
    A skunk was badgered, the results were strong
    I hope that somethin' better
    I hope that somethin' better
    I hope that somethin' better comes along
    Together again
    Gee, it's good to be together again
    I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
    It's not starting over, it's just going on

Together again
    Now we're here and there's no need remembering when
    'Cause no feeling feels like that feeling
    Together again

Together again
    Gee, it's good to be together again
    I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
    It's not starting over, it's just going on

Together again
    Now we're here and there's no need remembering when
    'Cause no feeling feels like that feeling
    Together-a
    Together-a
    Together again
    Together again

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    MuppetsRule likes this.
  17. Janice+Floyd<3

Janice+Floyd<3 Well-Known Member

I wasn’t there in person but saw videos and it was absolutely amazing I had a friend who had the amazing opportunity to go backstage and meet some of the puppeteers afterwards cuz of me :)

muppetgem likes this.