1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: Muppets Live at the Hollywood Bowl September 8-10, 2017

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Sep 8, 2017.

1. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

What I'm taking away from these clips is how much a disaster the recent Muppet Show was. These clips are great and what people want. Why they ever decided to go the route they went with the show is baffling.

2. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Do you mean the ABC series? If so, I'm with you on that. I watched one or two episodes and then called it quits.

But that was then. This is now. Kermit and the gang have moved on to bigger and better things like performing at the Hollywood Bowl. Why dwell on the previous failures when their HB shows have earned rave reviews? They even led to a trending Twitter topic called #MuppetsTakeTheBowl!

3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I will never fault the ABC series for trying something different.

Yes, crowd love the Muppets singing "Mahna Mahna" and "Rainbow Connection," it's an easy sell. They gotta try new things, though.

MikaelaMuppet and LaRanaRene like this.
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Not really, this is how modern entertainment works. ABC wanted the show to have mainstream appeal, so they brought in writers from other mainstream sitcoms to try and apply formulas their other sitcoms to the show so it will fit in with the zeitgeist of today's modern television landscape, which isn't what the Muppets are about at all.

MikaelaMuppet and scooterfan360 like this.
  5. Oscarfan

I don't think that's true at all.

6. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Well-Known Member

Which makes it baffling.

7. Oscarfan

Oh yes. Because the Muppets never go after the zeitgeist. That's why their first national TV show wasn't based on a popular format of the time or featured popular celebrities of the time or popular songs of the time.

8. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Active Member

The second performance just started. Wish I was there.

MikaelaMuppet and scooterfan360 like this.
  9. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Facebook friend was livestreaming the show - until they got to that Pigs in Space sketch where they literally said "no streaming!"

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  10. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

And that my dear friends is something Disney and the Muppets have been having issues with since the very beginning. Copyright infringement and paying for royalties and such.

11. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

I've been watching videos from tonight, and I was wondering...am I the only one that feels like everything being lip-synced kind of cheapens the experience? Don't get me wrong, this show is amazing and everyone has done a fantastic job, but it's just odd that even these little bits of dialogue are just playback. The puppeteers are even trying to sell the idea that they are performing live, as they mime along to the pre-recorded sound track. I'm sure there is a good reason as to why, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyone else? Just me? Ok...

MikaelaMuppet and pjtoadie like this.
  12. dwayne1115

I've been saying this from the start. They have almost always pre recorded their songs for almost every production. There are sevral different reasons for this, one of which in a song like the Muppet Show opening. You have so many of characters that you have to pre record each individual character and then mix it together.

Hope that helps.

13. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

This show is very much a testing water about the possibility of branching out. I personally have no doubt this will branch out to other productions. What's interesting is seeing how this year's show borrowed elements from last years Electric Mayhem concert, which was really a test just to get this show off the ground.

MikaelaMuppet and dwayne1115 like this.
  14. dwayne1115

I really like how they decided not to completely hide the performers. It makes it more authentic to me.

15. Muppetboy09

I completely understand what you're saying, and like I said, there was probably a good reason why. I just find it weird that even little bits of dialogue aren't even live, and it seems like the puppeteers WANT it to seem like they're doing it live, when they really aren't. Also, I would understand for big numbers that need a lot of performers, but numbers like Moving Right Along and I've Been Everywhere shouldn't need to be lip-synced

MikaelaMuppet and pjtoadie like this.
  16. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Here's a video with rainbow connection and apparently the whole Magic Store performance

scooterfan360 likes this.
  17. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I think a technical reason for lip-syncing is due to the background videos - in order for them to match up with the action on stage, they're dependant on the timing being EXACTLY right each time.

18. Muppetboy09

LaRanaRene likes this.
  19. Rugratskid

Rugratskid Active Member

The dialogue doesn't appear to be fully pre-recorded. Someone (the link muppetboy09 posted) uploaded "Happy Feet" from last night's performance, and Kermit's dialouge in-between verses aren't the same as the initial show.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  20. Muppetboy09

Yeah, some parts of dialogue are pre-recorded, some not. For example, Fozzies joke during the intro is pre-recorded, as well as any dialogue or utterances during Can You Picture That. Still a fantastic show