Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Well I recieved the dvd last month, but finally got to watch the whole thing, here are my thoughts. The dvd is overall nice, its not alot of stuff, buts its "nice." The episodes are good, but they just seem to long. The bonus sketches were "ok," I would have really preferred more Behind the Scenes/ History bonuses, but what was there was nice. I was dissapointed by the fact of the low amount of Muppet sketches in the bonus skits aswell. I was delighted though that Kermit was in use and on the dvd. (Yay!!) The pitch reel, I have seen before so it really wasnt a shock to me. But overall I liked it. It should have had 4 discs instead of 3, and way more bonus features relating to behind the scenes, and way more muppets, maybe even commentaries would've been nice. Was it the worst dvd? No. Was it the best dvd? No. I much preffered The Electric Company set over the Sesame set, in the bonus feature content. I think they could've done alot better than what I could have seen. But heres hopes for a Volume 2.

BEAR

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
Well I recieved the dvd last month, but finally got to watch the whole thing, here are my thoughts. The dvd is overall nice, its not alot of stuff, buts its "nice." The episodes are good, but they just seem to long. The bonus sketches were "ok," I would have really preferred more Behind the Scenes/ History bonuses, but what was there was nice. I was dissapointed by the fact of the low amount of Muppet sketches in the bonus skits aswell. I was delighted though that Kermit was in use and on the dvd. (Yay!!) The pitch reel, I have seen before so it really wasnt a shock to me. But overall I liked it. It should have had 4 discs instead of 3, and way more bonus features relating to behind the scenes, and way more muppets, maybe even commentaries would've been nice. Was it the worst dvd? No. Was it the best dvd? No. I much preffered The Electric Company set over the Sesame set, in the bonus feature content. I think they could've done alot better than what I could have seen. But heres hopes for a Volume 2.

I've not gotten or watched the set yet, but I'd just like to remind you guys that it is the first set. Maybe they will have more behind the scenes content in future releases, but I think this is sort of the tester to see who is interested. Much like the Muppet Show season 1 set.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Very true BEAR, and did realize that, but at the same time, look at the bonus features for Electric Company Vol.1, that as well was a tester, and the features were well worked out and enjoyable and informing. Just my two pennies.

fatblue

Reaction score
Ss Dvd

I've not gotten or watched the set yet, but I'd just like to remind you guys that it is the first set. Maybe they will have more behind the scenes content in future releases, but I think this is sort of the tester to see who is interested. Much like the Muppet Show season 1 set.
Hmm, funny, I said this earlier and there seemed to be a lot of doubting Thomas' out there that there will be any future SS DVDs. I agree Barry, we didn't get to see ALL the classic skits and some behind the scene stuff on the first set would have been nice, and I was really ticked at that, not enough bonus MUPPET footage! Again, we did see Kermit, but not enough, and where were characters like Beautiful Day Monster, Prof. Hastings, Hippie Grump, Scudge, Fred The Dragon, the first version of Grover and so on. They pioneered this show! Also, classic skits like 'Yellow Submarine' for example were not shown. However, this show ran everyday, so I realize there is no possible way to fit all skits in one DVD set because there are so many. But I KNOW deep down we will see future versions, there is enough footage out there to make a Vol. 2,3,4, 5and so on. So I would not worry.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
On the other hand, the first box set of The Electric Company obviously sold well enough for SW to release a second set, and did that one have much marketing exposure beyond the internet? I don't recall seeing that one in any of my local stores either.
I have only seen a copy of volume 1 at my local Best Buy on at least two different occassions (though there were times that I went to Best Buy between those two times where I looked for The Electric Company and didn't see the copy in the same spot where it had previously been). And so far I have not seen any copies of volume 2 anywhere.

Censored

Reaction score
Changes In The Review?

I was reading the review of this DVD set again and I noticed that the censored ending in "Counter of Numbers" no longer seems to be included in the section on Noggin Cuts.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/dvd/sesame_old_school_1.shtml

In the original ending in "Counter of Numbers", Bert bangs his head numerous times on the table and runs into the camera. I remember the author of this review saying that he did not believe it ever ended this way and that Phillip was the one who put it in his review. Now, it seems to be gone, but the pic is still there.

But, I can assure everyone that it definitely ended that way. I watched it numerous times when I was a kid in the 70's. When I first saw it on Noggin, I even wondered if they were going to show it since there was already the controversy about Don Music banging his head. Thus, I was not surprised when the scene faded out. But, believe me, this ending did in fact happen. First hand info about classic Sesame Street skits is one of the few nice things about being almost 40. :smile:

Hope mention of that edit comes back soon. It just doesn't seem complete without it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
But, I can assure everyone that it definitely ended that way. I watched it numerous times when I was a kid in the 70's. When I first saw it on Noggin, I even wondered if they were going to show it since there was already the controversy about Don Music banging his head. Thus, I was not surprised when the scene faded out. But, believe me, this ending did in fact happen. First hand info about classic Sesame Street skits is one of the few nice things about being almost 40. :smile:
Were any segments with Don Music ever shown on Noggin? I was looking at the epsiode pages at Muppet Wiki, and for the Noggin epsiodes, I can't remember if I ever saw any Don Music sketches listed (most of the Sesame Street Unpaved epsiodes have detailed pages, while very few 123 Sesame Street episodes have pages at all).

Censored

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Were any segments with Don Music ever shown on Noggin? I was looking at the epsiode pages at Muppet Wiki, and for the Noggin epsiodes, I can't remember if I ever saw any Don Music sketches listed (most of the Sesame Street Unpaved epsiodes have detailed pages, while very few 123 Sesame Street episodes have pages at all).

I can't recall seeing Don Music on the Noggin episodes. I guess banging one's noggin on Noggin is strictly forbidden.

Medbe Monster

Reaction score
I'm 15 and I'd really love to get this set, but I don't what to do, My Mom says she forbids me to buy this set, What should I tell her about the set that could change her mind???

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh? Why would she say something like that?

She approves of Sesame Street right? Then calmly explain to her that this is a DVD set showing off some of the true history of Sesame Street's origins... How the street looked like waaaaay back in the beginning. How the two previous actors who performed Gordon differed from the current actor/version. Tell her it contains the first appearances and some of the beloved segments/sketches/songs of some of Sesame's iconic characters. Plus, there's an informative booklet that comes with the set that contains lots of factoids about the show and the first five season premieres included in the set.

Just some points that should help you win her over.