Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

Medbe Monster

Reaction score
hey! I told my mom the facts of the DVD set and she understood and she let me get it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Does anybody else think that the term "Classic Cuts" sounds misleading? It might lead to people thinking that it is a grouping of skits that were cut from the show (then why'd they be called classics?). Then again, classic cuts is probably a better term than "The Best of Season (insert season number here)". While many of the best-known segments are included as bonus features, there are also a lot of rare segments included (they are well-known to hardcore fans, but probably not to the general public), and there are also a lot of average segments. They may not be known to a large percent of the world, but they also aren't rarely seen (well, that statement might be more true if it was ten years ago, but now almost every sketch on the set is rarely shown in new episodes, but a lot of them have been released on video and/ or shown on Noggin, if that matters).

I guess the best known ones are stuff like Rubber Duckie, Bein' Green, C is For Cookie, The King of 8, The Alligator King, Bert's Bust, Martians Telephone, Sesame Street News: Rupunzel, Loaf of Bread, and others, while rare would apply to the original I Love Trash, Big Bird meets Little Bird, I've Got Two, and some others (and the two examples I gave probably haven't been seen in years; I certainly don't think any of us had copies of that sketch before the DVD release). And average could apply to a lot of sketches, like Hamburger Bun Factory, Jazz Alphabet, A Special Day with Ernie and Bert, S-Superman, Twiddlebugs Go to the Zoo, and others.

I don't ever remember seeing any of the included celebrity appearances before this release. I heard Nasty Dan on Songs from the Street, and I saw clips from some of those skits, but I don't remember seeing them on the show. Do skits with celebrities eventually stop being shown if the celebrities start to lose popularity (though I don't think James Earl Jones or Johnny Cash have ever lost popularity)? Out of the celebrity appearances, I think that the ones from the first season are the only ones that were shown on Noggin. Of course, I know that Monster in the Mirror was shown as late as season 31 or 32, and some of the celebrities from that song were probably unknown by then. I also don't ever remember seeing Batman, Superman, or Beetle Bailey's appearances, and I don't think Batman or Superman ever lost popularity (I think I would remember if I saw them on the show).

Also, it seems to me that a lot of first season sketches aren't too popular with the general public. I know that they were still shown regularly in the 1980s and 1990s, but I don't think first season sketches are as well known as sketches from the 1970s. Very few of them have been released on video before this set, and most of the ones previously released are included oin this set. Bein' Green, Rubber Duckie (though it seems like the version that's often been released is from a later season despite the fact that Sesame Workshop seems to think otherwise), and Wanda the Witch have already been released on video. According to Muppet Wiki's page for Getting Ready for School, the original version of ABC-DEF-GHI was already available on video. There are some sketches on Learning About Letters and The Alphabet Game (Frances Fairy, K-Key, G-Gorillia, letters in the street, and capital letter H) that I think are from the first season, but I do not know for sure.

Sure, some first season sketches are classics, and sometiems it's hard to tell if something is truly a classic or just classic to us fans. The baker and Jazz films are classics, probably well known to casual fans, but are any particular editions of these segments well-known? I think some early Ernie and Bert sketches are classics (the sandbox game, Ernie's trip to the zoo), but I could be wrong about that. There are a lot of first season sketches that I don't remember seeing as a kid. I assume that first season sketches with Oscar and Grover weren't repeated after the first season (though I've heard that the baker #5 film continued to be shown untill the baker films stopped being shown), and I think first season Big Bird sketches might have been repeated for a few years (I don't think the original Big Bird looks too different). I don't ever remember seeing any first season Kermit sketches on TV, though I know they were repeated for at least a few years (though I also don't remember seeing very many of Kermit's lectures on television). I do remember seeing some first season Ernie and Bert segments up untill season 30 (sketches I rememebr seeing on the show include part 1 of Ernie giving Bert a haircut, Ernie and Bert dividing jellybeans, Ernie demonstrating before and after with a cookie lid, Lefty attempting to sell Ernie a U, and Ernie cleaning the apartment in less than 15 seconds).

I guess volume 2 will have a similar balance between classics, average sketches, and rarities.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
well i went to 3 stores looking for this set and finaly found it thanks a lot sony i love this set. i love how sesame workshope has worked with muppet holding compny. to bad that hit could not cut a deal like that when they relesaed emitotters jugband.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Still haven't found it. I've tried my best to look everywhere. I can't seem to find it at Best Buy at all. I even looked at Hastings too. Can someone help me?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
It took me months but I found it. If you ca shop online, do so because it's very hard to find.

So far I've only watched episode 1. I totally understand why they have the disclaimer saying that it may not be appropriate for todays children. Did anybody WATCH that 5 (or was it 10? 50? Cause it felt like about seven THOUSAND) minute long segment about cows??? **giggles** Hey cow.... I see you now... It's just not effective enough. I'm an adult and I couldn't sit through it; how it a child expected to. I guess things like that they learne to improve and tighten over time.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Kyle... Drop me a line, I gots me an extra copy and can ship it out to ya.

You know... My hopes are that more Old School DVD sets get released, but I'm somewhat wary due to the trouble most people have had finding Volume 1, and how that might affect the sales of this set and/or any potential future releases. Oh well, at least I bought my set, that's all I cans do cause I cant's do no more.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If this set had a limited run, then it's starting to show up more. Today, for the first time ever, I saw multiple copies in the same store at the same time. I was at my local Best Buy and saw three copies. If a second volume gets made, I'm sure that I'll be able to find a copy eventualy (but hey, at least I found my copy on the day after it came out).