Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

caribbean

Reaction score
Well i think i should order my copy now that and see how long it takes to get to England. Hope this trend continues and we get most of the classics collected on dvd evetually.

caribbean

Reaction score
Well i've got to order mine now and hope it gets here to England ok or i just might cry..Hope they continue on to the second set soon. and eventually we do get most of the classic stuff.( Dumb pc got me posting 2 replies with all this freezing up and crashing Grrr)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if Sesame Workshop had a test audience of teenagers and adults for this set, similar to how Sesame Workshop has a test audience of kids for the show. If there is a 13 and older test audience for these DVDs, then the test audience must not be people who post here. If members were tested, I am sure that they would have said something, even if there are things they couldn't reveal.

BEAR

Reaction score
dwayne1115 said:
well i went to 3 stores looking for this set and finaly found it thanks a lot sony i love this set. i love how sesame workshope has worked with muppet holding compny. to bad that hit could not cut a deal like that when they relesaed emitotters jugband.

Well, Sesame Street is a pretty special case. After all, Kermit starred on Sesame Street long before the Muppet Show ever happened. Sesame Street launched him into the stardom that he has.

BEAR

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
It took me months but I found it. If you ca shop online, do so because it's very hard to find.

So far I've only watched episode 1. I totally understand why they have the disclaimer saying that it may not be appropriate for todays children. Did anybody WATCH that 5 (or was it 10? 50? Cause it felt like about seven THOUSAND) minute long segment about cows??? **giggles** Hey cow.... I see you now... It's just not effective enough. I'm an adult and I couldn't sit through it; how it a child expected to. I guess things like that they learne to improve and tighten over time.

Haha! Yep...the cow segment. It was just went on waaaaaaaaay longer than it should have. And when the guy squeezed the cows udders and shot the milk into the childs face, I just about lost it! It was weird.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I dunno... The cow segment from the first season wasn't that bad to me. Then again, I guess I've been conditioned not to let that sort of roaming countryside drag-on filming technique bother me: sat through a similar long-windedcountry tour scene in the MST3K movie Manos: The Hands of Fate, and the horrid half-hour long mountain climb in The Lost Continent. But it's also not a botherance factor to me because back when my family took summer vacations in the US and once through Canada's eastern portions we would drive through country pastures for a while getting from one place to another. Guess what I'm saying is that I wasn't rully that offset by the cow segment.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Is there some reason why it has to short in order for some of you to enjoy?

I think you all should just be thankfull they're even releasing this stuff and not compain about a film that's too long.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree the cow thing was a bit too long, but I still love it! The music is great, very retro Sesame Street. Plus, the show already has so much quick and flashy moments. They were probably aware that kids (and their parents) needed some cooling down time as well! :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
On this set, the copyright credits were changed, stating that Sesame Street is owned by Sesame Workshop (not Childrens Television Workshop) and tha the word Muppets and Kermit the Frog are owned by the Muppets Holding Company. However, I wodner why there are two seperate credits for The Muppet Holding Comnpany. Couldn't there have been a credit, saying "Kermit the Frog, and Muppets are trademarks of The Muppets Holding Company"? Also, I have seen past Sesame Street DVDs of productions that were available on video before The Jim Henson Company sold the rights to the Sesame Street characters, with unchanged copyright credits. The Rock & Roll! DVD (which I think was released before Disney bought the Muppets) still has a credit saying that the "Sesame Street puppet characters are trademarks of Jim Henson Productions", and the DVD release of Learnign About Letters, released on DVD after Kermit was sold to Disney, has the original copyright information. It still says that the Children's Television Workshop owns Sesame Street and trademarks, while the Muppets were trademarks of Muppets, Inc. There are no replacement credits stating the ownership of Kermit the Frog there.

In fact, for the first year when Disney bought the Muppets, most new Sesame Street DVD releases (both of new productions and past productions) had credits stating that The Muppets Holding Company owns the rights to the Muppet name, in both credits and packaging, but now it seems like new Sesame Street DVDs don't use the Muppet name in the credits.

Another thing I noticed is that the classic cuts don't include any multi-part sketches. I wonder if any will be included as bonus sketches.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A little late, but I just got this after Christmas, adn I've finally been able to get to a computer today, so here's what I say....

Positive: It was well worth it, a fun and educational look at the old years I wasn't born in time to enjoy....

Negative (in a positive light): It left me hungry for more.

The one thing about having the season openers is that they all seem to have been sponsered by the same numbers and letters. Therefore, you lose a lot of variety. And, if there is one thing I'm glad they got rid of was repeating the same skit in the same episode. I go ballistic if they use the same thing more than once in a season.

That said, I Loved it, and I will buy all they intend to release, be it more episodes/clips from 69-74 or they go forward with more epiosdes. It was great to not have to go to youtube or something to see Jazzy segments (even though they only used the 2 segment... twice) and see it on an actual television set. Some clips Im would have pegged for 80's, but weren't... especially Ernie and Bert at the movies.

I really wish there was more Roosevelt Franklin stuff... he was only in 2 skits, and he only talked breifly in one. Plus some clips weren't all too interresting. The Fireman and Dairy cow segments were rediculously laughable ("Hey Cow, I see you now." I mean, that's begging to be laughed at, not with.)

I felt there was a very good balance of Muppet and non-muppt segments, especially the bonus features section. I will say, I kinda disliked the first couple of years ONLY because they didn't have as many puppeteers and as many Muppet characters. But then of course, they only started with three voice acting star performers.

All and all, a great experiance. I loved it.

Though I am confused. The season 5 opener was only sponcered by D, but the end credits said C and U. Was this one of the edits?