Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with you there Daff... OK, here we go with today's thoughts...

Episode 4115: Luis and María's Honeymoon/H Day.
The episode opens with Luis and María getting ready for their honeymoon picnic at a quiet spot, or so they thought.
Luis: Ah, nothing but the singing of birds.
As if on cue, Big B comes by with Elmo and Zoe, saying that they're getting ready to sing their song for the letter of the day, the letter H. They sing this song about words that start with H, but more to the point, about Ha-ha sort of laughs. The song was quite cleverly set to the tune of one of a catchy operatic piece of music. At least, Part 1 was, Part 2 was just them laughing to the music.

Next spot chosen for the picnic was where the funny happened. María says she's ready for the picnic "honey", and then this AM named H Man popped up. He spoke in superhero fashion, "Howling hootenannies!" This led to them playing the game The Sound of the Letter H. The honeymooners, Big Bird, Elmo and Zoe were shown a picture with four items...
Elmo: That's a hippopotamus.
Zoe: And that's a helicopter.
Big B: That's a ball.
María: And don't forget about the hexagon.
Now here's something that I give points to Sesame... A bit of new education where Luis explained that a hexagon is a shape with six sides. Nice to see/get that little educational nugget in an episode again.
The game was basically a version of One of These Things, concluding with a group of hopping Honkers celebrating the fact that they picked the item that didn't start with the H-sound.
Were there three Honkers? Got their names as Helen, Harold and Hannah, not sure if there were any more.

Third time's the charm? Not quite. Snuffy showed up, hurrying to show up in time for the H-dance. Luis had to explain that he and María wanted to be alone... Little heart-tug with Big B and Snuffy's sad almost puppy-eyed reaction. But Snuffy explained it to Big B and they understood, leaving to dance the hula somewhere else.
María: The hula?
Yes, that was their H-dance for the day.
And here's where I take away points from Sesame... She says that they danced the hula on their honeymoon, in Hawaii.
Sorry, but that's a continuity violation, this one unable of being skirted away like the questionable aging of Miles and Babriela so they'd both graduate from high school at the same time. Luis and María spent their honeymoon in the Adirondack Mountains, starting with Episode 2487, I have that one on VHS. And you know why I remember their honeymoon was in the NY mountain range? Because that's when they finally expanded the Number of the Day to cover the numbers from 13-20 and 0 besides just 1-12.

However... I do give Sesame points for this episode because it's more centered around the letter planned as this particular episode's sponsor... Perhaps more so than Super Grover's Superhero School from Season 35 where they rescued a letter H.

Now then...
Highlights.
1 Classic Animation: The segment where this girl tells us about her trip to Hawaii to get some pineapples and her Hawaiian shirt.
2 Classic Song/Film: "Happi-Happi-Happiness."
3 New sketch about two people named Harold and Helen having a picnic with the letter H, liked it.
4 Animation: Two guys talking about how his hat looks using H-words, one guy commenting it looked huge before being trapped inside the hat. Could be classic SS, not sure.
5 Classic Song: "Banana." This is how you promote the healthy/nutrition angle. But was it edited to be shorter?
6 Cookie Monster gets confronted by Matt Lauer about choosing healthy food over cookies.
OK... This was both good and bad.
Good: We got a new sketch with Cookie Monster. The adlibbing made it funny, and I think David Rudman's starting to learn just "how" to perform Cookie Monster. And where the heck was this sketch to deflate all the blown-up media hype over this story last year?!?
Bad: Matt Lauer kept badgering Cookie, making up the news which led to the funny adlibbing. Also, his line about how it was a bit incredulous to believe Cookie liked both healthy food and cookies, and how the destroyed tables and props would come out of his salary.

Yes, that'll come out of your salary!! Get your facts right! This is why you botched the intro for the float at last year's Macy's T-Day Parade!
7 Ernie's version of "Somebody Play With Me."
8 Global Grover: Hawaii... Ah, so good to hear Frank's Grover again.
9 Elmo's World: Wild Animals, repeat.
10 ATG: Planet Upside-Down.
This was probably one of the best done Trash Gordon segments. Why do I say that? Because they used the old cartoon/movie funhouse trick. Trash Gordon was seen standing right side up on what would be the floor to us... But the planet's dwellers, the Upside-Downians were seen upside-down to us on what would be the ceiling of the set used for the scene, right side up to them on their floor with Trash Gordon being upside-down. This ended when Trash Gordon became upside-down to us the viewers, joining the planet's residents on the ceiling.
Very well done, more points to Sesame for this sketch.

Lowpoints.
1 Already touched on the continuity problem in the street story.
2 Letter of the Day: H, this was the one where Cookie hides the letter cookie in his stomach.
Personally, I would've purrfered to get the one from last year where Prairie Dawn ate the letter H doing her Cookie Monster impurrsonation.
3 Number of the Day: 3.
What has me down is the fact that there weren't any good segments nor that many. The one I have stuck in my head is the one with the voice-over narrator for those Wegmen dog scenes saying "three" over and over until the bit ended.
All in all, a good episode, just let down by the lack of good Number of the Day segments.
Will post next time there's a new episode... Maybe Monday?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Count said:
And whoever that celebrity was at the beginning of the one from Season 35 they showed today, the one with the singing groups/flashbacks... We're putting her on a two-week ban from naming/nominating favorite SS moments.
Nope, that pick's not gonna fly as a "favorite" SS moment. Delete and bring in the next person.
What was that "My favorite Sesame Street moment" about? I think that some of them were disapointing to me, mainly just ones where the celebrities favorite moments were ones that helped their kids out with stuff, such as one celebrity whose favorite moment was a scene where a cartoon character taught the hokey pokey, being her favorite because it taught her daughter how to do the hokey pokey, or one where a celebrity said that her favorite was the season 33 premier just because it taught her kid about fire safety, and I think there's a few other disapointing ones that I can't remember. I can't remember who these celebrities are. But the celebrities favorite moments should be moments that were their favorites as children.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
It was the one about the Learning Lady from Elmo's World doing the hokey-pokey.

Rubber Duckie

Reaction score
I know the new season started back on the fourteenth of this month, but for some reason, my PBS station (Buffalo) started showing the Season 37 episodes the day after that, therefore running a day behind. I don't know why.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
What was that "My favorite Sesame Street moment" about? I think that some of them were disapointing to me, mainly just ones where the celebrities favorite moments were ones that helped their kids out with stuff, such as one celebrity whose favorite moment was a scene where a cartoon character taught the hokey pokey, being her favorite because it taught her daughter how to do the hokey pokey, or one where a celebrity said that her favorite was the season 33 premier just because it taught her kid about fire safety, and I think there's a few other disapointing ones that I can't remember. I can't remember who these celebrities are. But the celebrities favorite moments should be moments that were their favorites as children.

Well, some of these celebrities were not children anymore when Sesame Street started. A perfect example would be Doris Roberts who did the "favorite Sesame Street moment" for the 35th season premiere episode. She said her favorite moment was all 35 years and she went on to talk about what a wonderful impact Sesame has made through its songs and stories. She said that she wishes she got to watch Sesame Street as a child. But that whole segment was just a season 35 thing. What you saw today with the hokey pokey lady was a rerun. I saw it too. So, now to get back to season 37...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Sorry, but that's a continuity violation, this one unable of being skirted away like the questionable aging of Miles and Babriela so they'd both graduate from high school at the same time. Luis and María spent their honeymoon in the Adirondack Mountains, starting with Episode 2487, I have that one on VHS. And you know why I remember their honeymoon was in the NY mountain range?
Yes, that's sort of what I mentioned in my last post. But it seems like you rememer more than I did. If you could post a clip or two of that onto You Tube or something, I'd kind of like to see it. I remember the honeymoon ep, but sort of vaguely. Just a suggestion.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah... Back to familiar grounds.
1 Bry, the Season 35 episode was yesterday. Seems the date for the posts are being glossed over, no worries though.
2 Rubber Duckie... Welcome to MC and all the craziness here. You might want to go introduce yourself in the "New Members" thread in the Friends & Family section.
Oh, and don't worry about your station showing the episodes one day later than their projected debut dates, there are other people here who have the same sort of day-delayed airings.
3 Daffy... Would do that except for two things...
a. I don't rully know how to transfer video material to some sort of feed that could be uploaded to youtube.com.
b. Rully don't visit youtube.com because I don't have the software to watch the clips, and it proves extremely haphazard to navigate with my screenreader program. Far too many links, virtually every word is a link and it makes for slow-goings when scrolling through it all.
Hope this helps though.

BEAR

Reaction score
The Count said:
Ah... Back to familiar grounds.
1 Bry, the Season 35 episode was yesterday. Seems the date for the posts are being glossed over, no worries though.

It also came on earlier today during the 12:00 time slot airing.

I am currently watching the Maria/Luis picnic episode. It's pretty good so far.

It really seems to me that Elmo's role has calmed down a bit this season. He is still one of the main featured Muppets, but he doesn't stand out (or upstage) in any way.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes... Now that you say that, I kind of notice it. Nice.
BTW: How many honkers appeared at the end of H Man's game show bit?
Were there only three named Hannah, Harold and Helen?
If there were more, what were their names?

BEAR

Reaction score
There were 4. Helen, Hannah, Harold and ... I don't remember the 4th one's name. Sorry.