Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi... Today's review.

Episode 4165: Telly and Baby Bear catch a firefly.
Air Date: August 15 2008.
Season: Season 39.
Sponsors:
Word on the Street: Insect.
Street Story.
Spanish word for "firefly" is "luciérnaga" but another Spanish word is "cucubano".
Baby Bear: "Hey, I can tell you got an idea by the cawtoonish lightbulb ovew youw head."
Song: I'm a Little Airplane Now.
Celebrity Word Explanation: Jenny McCarthy explains about "insects".
Unknown Animation.
Letter of the Day: Fireflies show Chris the letter F.
Animation: Has anybody seen an F? F trip through town.
Segment: F in the Pool.
Muppets: I Don't Want to Live on the Moon, Ernie and Aaron Neville.
Animation/Film: A Poem: Night.
Number of the Day: Chris counts up 6 fireflies.
Segment: Kids clap/stomp up to 6.
Song: Number 6 Rap.
Murray Has a Little Lamb: Going to Gymnastics School.
Yes, "aro" is Spanish for "ring", though more correctly speaking it's Spanish for "hoop".
Murray: "I'd be fantastic! I'd be the lord of the rings!"
Song: The Game of Make Believe, sung by Cecille.
Muppets: Pre-School Musical.
Pre-School Musical the Pre-School Musical?
Elmo's World: Bugs.
Chris presents the sponsors with some help from the fireflies.

A quick reminder. Next week marks the start of the "one repeat" "one new episode" sequence, so keep that in mind when tuning in to Sesame Street from here on out for the rest of the new season.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
My thinks:

The Goods:
-That was a cute street story. Telly and Baby Bear episodes are always funny. Fav parts - "Shiney hiney", The cartoonish lightbulb and the homage to Grover' Near/Far bit.
-I said it before, and I'll say it again, Pre-School Musical is one of the funniest SS parodies!
-Chris and the fireflies was clever.
-Nice to see Cecille again. Last season, she only appeard a the begining of the season. Let's hope her other sketches appear (the the brushing one and opposites one)

The Bads:
-The part of the street story with Maria dn Luis went on a little too long.
-Frankly, I dislike the Aaron/Ernie bit mainly because it replaced the older one. After this came out, I don't think the original was ever seen again. The quality on the old footage is the same as the new one, so why can't they use it?
-They're still using segments we've seen every season. They have a huge library of sketches, why do they have to repeat segemtns so often?

A very nice episode. I think I know where the Murray bit was shot; It looks like Chelsea Pears in New York. I went on a feild trip there just this year.

Too bad I'll miss next week's episodes (It's only two though) since I'll be on vacation.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Frankly, I dislike the Aaron/Ernie bit mainly because it replaced the older one. After this came out, I don't think the original was ever seen again.
Actually, like a lot of classic skits, it aired during the Street We Live On promotional program. But yes, a lot of classic segments have seemingly been replaced by their "redone" versions and it saddens me, considering that I consider I Don't Want to Live On the Moon--and a few others--distinctly Jim.

wiley207

Reaction score
Frankly, I dislike the Aaron/Ernie bit mainly because it replaced the older one. After this came out, I don't think the original was ever seen again. The quality on the old footage is the same as the new one, so why can't they use it?
I actually LIKE that Aaron/Ernie version of the song, mainly because they reused the original Jim Henson voice track for Ernie's singing in the new footage. Combining the sweet music and Henson's beautiful Ernie's singing voice with Aaron Neville works really well, IMHO.

Too bad I'll miss next week's episodes (It's only two though) since I'll be on vacation.
So am I! I'm going on a cruise, to be precise. But I set my DVR to record those two.

Drtooth

Reaction score
-Frankly, I dislike the Aaron/Ernie bit mainly because it replaced the older one. After this came out, I don't think the original was ever seen again. The quality on the old footage is the same as the new one, so why can't they use it?
I believe they used the original for a while afterward too. I recall seeing it once or twice after JTE... But I guess they used it for their random celebrity bit of the day. I dislike it too, since Aaron's voice is nails on a chalkboard to me. I prefered the one from Elmopalooza, myself... but they didn't use Jim's vocals....

Anyway, a cute episode. The Firefly segment was a pretty sweet little storyline. Great to see Big Bird in the main street segment again.

Great to see some Cecile stuff too. That's the oldest thing we've seen all season. I really miss claymation myself. Too bad the drama that happened with Will Vinton studios happened.

And I just wanna say, Murray visiting a small children's gymnastics class... there's a great joke about the Chinese Olympics in there, but I don't feel like saying it.

And as I said before, the end line from PreSchool Musical.... hillarious. not just a funny joke, but it's Disney getting served! (almost no wonder why they did that puppets are for babies crap in Hanna Montana)

-They're still using segments we've seen every season. They have a huge library of sketches, why do they have to repeat segemtns so often?
That's unfortunately been the case for a while. We always see the same stuff over and over, and we're seeing a lot of stuff from just last year in the first 5 episodes.

And Count, the unknown animation you listed was a stop motion segment about a group of green bugs playing allong, and a large red insect joins in.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I wonder...since a redone Hoots was seen in a previous season, why can't Ernie & he repeform Put Down the Duckie? It like...it--like most of Ernie's songs--disappeared into songlist oblivian.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I thought about that too. I don't think that's too outdated. Both Ernie and Hoots are still around. If they can play "Doo Dee Rubber Duck," I don't see any reason they can't play "Put Down the Duckie." The only thing I can think of is that maybe they have issues with Pee Wee Herman who appeared in the celebrity version of the song, but they can still play the shorter version without the celebrities. That one seems to have vanished without a trace. Thank goodness for You Tube.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I must say this was the first time I saw Maria and Luis this season in today's firefly show, and it was great seeing them agian. :smile:

Also I have to admit that Pre-school musical was just a great comeback at Disney for all of their multi-sequels of various company products.

Still, this has to be the first showing of the entire street so far this season and it was an odd, but okay view. It would take some getting use to. :frown:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Spanish word for "firefly" is "luciérnaga" but another Spanish word is "cucubano"
So is this anythign like how fireflies are also referred to as lightning bugs?

My thinks:
Well I thing they acutually alternate clips around every so many years.

I actually LIKE that Aaron/Ernie version of the song, mainly because they reused the original Jim Henson voice track for Ernie's singing in the new footage. Combining the sweet music and Henson's beautiful Ernie's singing voice with Aaron Neville works really well, IMHO.
Yeah! I like that one too, but I lime the original one the best!

And as I said before, the end line from PreSchool Musical.... hillarious. not just a funny joke, but it's Disney getting served! (almost no wonder why they did that puppets are for babies crap in Hanna Montana)
Yeah It's like payback! hehe! Sesame Street as a wider viewing audience then anything on their channel.:stick_out_tongue:

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they have issues with Pee Wee Herman who appeared in the celebrity version of the song, but they can still play the shorter version without the celebrities.
They actually removed him and replaced him a long time ago. Kids wouldn't even know who he is anyway...

I must say this was the first time I saw Maria and Luis this season in today's firefly show, and it was great seeing them again. :smile:
They were actually on the shoes episode Tuesday.