1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Aug 10, 2008.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

D@mm!+!
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Peronally, I think that Joey wanted a regular character. Hopefully we'll see more of Murray and less of that annoying whiney voiced Elephant. Come on Joe, come up with a better voice for him...
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I'm sure we'll get used to it.
  4. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I, personally, liked the widescreen look. It made the show look much cooler. I liked it a whole lot. :smirk:
  5. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

I'm sure Marray won't be overexposed. And I don't think Abby was overexposed personally.

Yeah, I really hate that Elmo puppet. I liked the one from the early 90's.

Don't worry, you''l get used to it. I had to get used to Zoey 101 being in widescreen.lol.
    Yeah, I like Murray. He seems very cute and is voice makes him sound so innocent. And I agree, they need to get rid of that dang annyoing elephant. But anyways, Yaaay Murray!

I second that!:p

But, today was a good season premire. I just hope we can see more of Abby, Big Bird and the gang tomorrow!

*crosses fingers*
  6. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Episode 4161: ISNorden's review

The good points:

• Most of the show was brand-new material (I recognized only three older segments, and those were pretty short).
    • In particular, I'm glad to see new "thing-of-the-day" announcements that didn't involve the usual characters. When was the last time an episode taught letters without Cookie and Prairie Dawn, or numbers without the Count? (Heck, it's been years since we saw a human like Gordon introduce the sponsors--or saw him announce them as himself, not Trash Gordon, at the end. Some writer at Sesame Workshop must still think old-school methods work best...)
    • The main street story could have fit right into an older episode--or at least, one as old as the first Indy Jones movie. It combined verbal in-jokes (like the snake's "why did it have to be a monster") with visual gags (the boulder and bottle traps) very skillfully; here's hoping the other street scenes work that well!
    • Elmo was confined to the Elmo's World segment--and even then, he interacted with more characters from the main show. It's good to see him act like one of the gang and not demand center stage, even when he has the title role.
    • Sesame Workshop's new logo is more viewer-friendly; the "house/lightning/stars" graphic means less to casual fans, than Muppet graphics from Sesame Street itself.
    The bad points:

• Do we really need another celebrity to parody his/her own music on the show? It may cost the Workshop less and give the celebrity good PR, but how many three-year-olds know or care who Feist is? (When older kids still watched Sesame Street, that might have gone differently; but I doubt anyone except the parents reacts that strongly to a star appearance now.)
    • It's good to see the spotlight on a minor character once in a while, but this episode showed Murray much too often. Between the Word on the Street intro, the letter of the day, and the new segment with Ovejita...Murray might well become the next overexposed Sesame Street Muppet.
    • Speaking of "Murray Has a Little Lamb", the basic idea (guessing what foreign words mean from context) is good. The segment itself could have been shorter, though, and relied less on odd sight gags. (A hot-dog vendor serving a karate-school green belt...what the [bleep]? ! ?)
    • Finally, "Bert and Ernie's Great Adventure" could have used better animation. I liked the story, especially Ernie's attempts to drive Bert around and rescue him from the fall. The dialogue and the characters' lip movements were out of sync, though: I got the impression of watching a badly dubbed foreign movie. :(
    Overall: Hit and miss compared to Season 38's premiere, although the "hit" moments outweigh the "misses". I'd give this episode a 6.5 on a 1-10 scale.
  7. Oscarfan

Yeah, I noticed that too. The one I saw on YouTube had much better lip movement.
  8. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

I caught it just before I went off to work today and I must say I was surprised to see Murray in the Street story. :)

All together however I must say this may be the start of an exciting season to Sesame Street, and that close to it's 40th anniversary too.
  9. Drtooth

I think that the promotional version they used on Youtube (a lot shorter) would have worked just as well. I can't so much say its too long, but the rest of the show is too short. AS I stated, we got a 50 minute (give or take show)... a good portion of the opening an closing sponsers are to attribute to that. not to mention the closing credits (while only a minute or 2 in length) used to be on every fifth episode. We have about 15 minutes for the opening scene, 15 minutes of Elmo's world... a Half Hour right there... the Murray and Ernie and Bert thing are about 5 minutes each- 10 minutes... we have about 10 minutes left for filler. 2 minutes of which is the "closing Sponsers" bit... less than 4 minutes for the letter and number segments.

Apparently so... but I'd rather have them cover older songs, or (shock) do original stuff made for Sesame Street. Nothing wrong with Celebs on the street, but these parodies are self serving, and hardly in the league of "Like the way U does" or "Furry happy Monsters" (which has better lyrics than the original.
  10. Oswald Monster

Oswald Monster New Member

My first post!

I was very excited about many of the things in this episode!

First of all, I actually got to see two days of filming for "Murray has a little lamb" which was awesome! :) Carmen Osbahr plays Ovejita and she is so incredibly nice. So is Noel MacNeal, who is Murray's right arm.

The only thing that really worried me about the upcoming season is the animated Bert and Ernie segment. I have to admit, it was adorable, but I hope this doesn't mean that the actual B & E puppets get the boot. (I know they apeared on Elmo's World, but I always get to bored to pay attention to Elmo's World anyway- its the same every time!)

All in all...Yay Sesame Street! Congrats on making it to a 39th season!

Oswald Monster
  11. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Just as long as that means that Oscar, Big Bird, Cookie, Count, and Prarie aren't reduced to filler.
    Indeed. Hopefully it stays as such. It's not that I dislike Elmo, but him being in nearly every Street story along with his own segment does get a bit tiresome and does irk me a bit.
    Yes, but the logo's been that way for generations. Why change it now? Plus, tacking Elmo on it was a bit much, honestly.
    I am sure that if Hannah Montanna or the Jonas Brothers appeared on the Street, the older kids of today's generation would be glued to the screen. XD

I just hope that Murray doesn't become a Dora, and I question why Rosita--who already was billingual--didn't join Murray in his quest to learn Spanish?

As to the claymation Ernie & Bert, I certainly hope this doesn't replace the puppet characters, considering the two have been a Street staple since the show began (for personally, they--to me--are the Kermit & Fozzie of the show).
  12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

A'ight, Sesame Street's been set on the living room DVR, so looks like I'll be seeing the new episodes after all.

Too bad I still won't be able to do my reviews again this year since everybody else is doin' it, now it's no longer cool.
  13. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I don't mind seeing the classic Muppets on new episodes, but the way some Muppets appear in the "thing of the day" announcements (and little else!) feels like pigeonholing. Yes, Cookie Monster has been eating letters since Episode 1; but that wasn't what he was mainly designed to teach. And yes, the Count's punny name implies he was meant to teach numbers; but he's not the only character (Muppet or human) who's ever announced the number of the day.

Great minds think alike; old-schoolers who like Elmo do exist, so he's not a bad character in himself. The overexposure he got, on the other hand...*shrug*

I guess that SW wanted something recognizable to all ages, and that whichever advertising firm works with them thought the change was a good idea.

Touché--although celebrity spots usually last for only a few minutes, and Sesame Street still gets stigmatized as a "baby show". Peer pressure does sometimes outweigh fan loyalty.

Both good observations; the lesson material doesn't need to be dumbed down any further, and a Spanish-teaching segment without Rosita feels odd nowadays. (Then again, I complained about similar character pigeonholing earlier!)

Agreed on both counts. Yes, Jim Henson's own creative work with CTW extended beyond the Muppets; but Bert and Ernie have been puppets even before Sesame Street went national, and shouldn't have their original incarnations thrown away.
  14. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Episode: 4161 "The Triangle of Destiny"

Storyline: Loved it. Enjoyed all of Telly's scenes with Chris and Leela. And being that it was another Indiana Jones which made it even more fun to watch. And then Murray was there too! I had heard that Murray was going to be in one of the street scenes from the storyline i read over at Sesame Street.org. It was so cool to see Murray being that he hadn't been in a street scene at all. Glad to see him in there. Hope to see more of him either with other characters too.

Ernie and Bert's Great Adventrue: Tiny Town was cool to see. I had already seen it once because of the DVD "Count on Sports" that has it in there too but i'm going to love these. I just wished what it said over at Wiki that it was going to show Ernie and Bert looking at old pictures (that is the Puppet versions) and they take a trip down memory lane. But it's still cool to see.

Cool to see Gordon doing the Letter of the Day, # and the Sponers at the end. Cool beaners. Can't wait for more to come and to see other characters. Yeaaaaaaah!
  15. Oscarfan

And you didn't think of that before because....?

Welll, at least I'll be able to tape the episodes now.
  16. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Hi... Today's review.
    Episode 4162: Telly's New Shoes.
    Aired: August 12 2008.
    Season: 39.
    Sponsors: S, 10.
    Word on the Street: Pirouette.
    Street Story.
    The Fairy Shoe Person's song... Ladies and gentlemen, Doogie Howser MD!
    *Seriously, does anybody other than me even remember that as Neil Patrick Harris's signature TV role?
    Chris: "You've got to do something!"
    Fairy Shoe Person: "Sorry, if you have a problem you'll have to take it up with the manufacturer."
    Points for the old cartoon elevator shoe gag.
    Telly: "Monsters don't need shoes, we can do everything in them."
    Sanitary issues anybody?
    Film: Mr. Shoe asks about what do your shoes say about you?
    Celebrity Word of the Day: Lorena and Lorna Feijoo with Grover explain "pirouette".
    Film: Zoe (voiceover) comments on practicing ballet dancers.
    Letter of the Day: Gabi and her feet teach the letter S, S is for sneaker, sandal, and sock.
    Film/Song: S, You're The Best.
    Animation: Seymour the Snake/Snail, not entirely sure.
    Murray Has a Little Lamb: Farm School.
    We have a cow, a pig, and a chicken... So let's kill and cook and eat them!
    Song: Being a Pig.
    Number of the Day: Gabi counts her toes to get 10.
    Animation/Song: Animals in an Elevator, Going Down, Addition Version.
    Muppet-Kid Moments: The Count counts to 10 in sign language with the help of Samara, Bob's niece?
    Film: Explanation of the Human Body, this feels like something from Season 36 though I could be wrong.
    Spanish Word of the Day: Professor Grover teaches his class about "zapato".
    Muppets: The Twiddlebugs search for Thomas's missing snowshoe.
    Song: Exploring In Your Closet.
    Unknown Segment with Game Show type music.
    Elmo's World: Getting Dressed.
    Gabi presents the sponsors, then runs.
  17. Drtooth

Not so much Murray, but the Little Lamb. I reiterate, is there even time for anything else if these 2 are recurring daily segments? I really think they should be alternates or something (the other I refer to is the Ernie and Bert segment). I still think that taking characters out to the real world and interacting with real people is the most amazing thing I've seen on SS in years. I don't know why, but I feel Jim would have been proud to see that. It makes the characters real, IMO.
  18. Oscarfan

That's a lot more segments that yesterday's.
  19. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

You can still do it.
  20. Oscarfan

A foot fetishist eh?