1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 39

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Aug 10, 2008.

1. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Member

i second that. the muppet/human interaction is my favorite part of the show! besides this generation of kids not getting to know the characters of the cast members, it changes the whole dynamic of the show. it's less like a realistic street, where people of all different ages live and interact and have real problems, and more like a fairyland of fantasy creatures. the grownups don't play as much with human and muppet kids, they just shake their heads at silly muppet antics. and the genius of the muppets is that they're so human--but we can only see that if they interact with humans and have human challenges and experiences. sigh.

sonia said in an interview that will lee would always criticize sketches by asking where are the peope? the show is about people! i couldn't agree more. we need that voice reaching the ears of the writers again.
  2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I too would like to see more "insert" skits with the humans. Like one of my favorite segments from Season 38 where Maria, Gina and Gabi dressed up like The Supreems and sang about the alphabet. When was the last time they did something like that?
  3. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

I'd love to see more humans active on Sesame Street, period--in both street scenes and inserts. Yes, the Muppets were always a part of the show; even Bert and Ernie had their place in the test pilot episodes. But what made Sesame Street so memorable and fun to watch, for most of its 30+ years, was seeing Muppets and humans interact side by side, as equals: most of the monster and animal characters didn't see human culture as alien, and vice versa.
  4. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

That's very interesting.

Some of this also has to do with the ammount of episodes that are produced a year which might mean less time for certain things including both actors and maybe even some of the other muppets.
  5. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Okay. I'll comment on ep 4180, since this was the first time I've seen it today.

Yeah. It seemed like the street story ended kind of quickly. They could have expanding on that a bit, maybe having Gordon tell everybody their better off just being themselves. I do like the shower cap thing, but I can't help but think about how interesting something like this could have been done during the years Matt Robinson was playing Gordon. Everyone would have been wearing afros. Lol.
  6. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Just caught Episode 4177: Abby's First Sleepover. Really liked the Street Story but what's with the added on music to the film abut the man talking about his bones? That was completely unnecessary!
  7. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Still going to wait here again. For the Magic episode about the guy who does magic. I'm now going to glue myself to the floor and wait till this episode aires once again. I'm not moving from this sp....oh wait. I can't! I'm glued. Oh no.
  8. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Actually, you might need some glue solvent. :) I caught that episode on You Tube. I'm thinking it's still there anyway.
  9. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Thanks for that but i'm waiting to record the episode on to a DVD. So i would like to wait till i can watch it on TV. But thanks. If anyone can uhh.....can i get some glue solvent?
  10. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Member

I Finally Saw Episode 4182 with Guy Smiley

Hey everybody,

I have finally saw episode 4182 with Guy Smiley. I am so glad he's back and Eric Jacobson plays Guy Smiley very well. And it's almost sounded like Jim Henson. Of course, even though his new voice sounds a bit different, but I'm glad he's back. And I'm surprise that he's got his own version of Vanna White. LOL! And Gilbert Gotfried is funny too.LOL!
  11. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Frankly I thought he sounded bad.

Whoever it is that performs Ernie does a better job.
  12. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Member

Well, tough cookies. They did a best than can to find someone to play Guy Smiley.
  13. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Steve Whitmire.

I think all the Muppeteers have been doing good in my opinion. Sure they can't be exactly how Jim was. Or even Frank or Jerry. But they're trying.
  14. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

anyone got any links to this?
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Exactly. I get so bugged by people saying "Where's X? I can't believe they don't show X anymore, and they only show Elmo" (or Pepe if we're talking The Muppet Show). and THEN going back and saying, "Ugh! That's what they sound like?"

Recasting muppets isn't easy. You don't just have to do the voice, you also have to get the personality down pat, and have a symbiotic relationship to the character. That's why some characters bounce around from performer to performer, and in some cases, never get recast. Even Elmo went through 2 other puppeteers before Kevin Clash made the character what he is today. Sometimes we'll get lucky and find someone right away who can sound approximately like the characters in question... Eric Jacobson has taken to a lot of Frank's roles, and in some of them, you can't even tell a difference (He is flawless as Grover and Fozzie)... and sometimes you get the Scooter situation, where he was bounced from Brian Henson to Rickey Boyd to David Rudman.

And Besides, we've only seen Eric's Guy a couple times... a PSA for Ready to Learn and this episode. I'm sure after time, if Eric continues the role, he'll fit more comfortably into it, as he did with Bert, Piggy, and all them.

That said, it took them HOW long to get Gilbert Gottfried into a Muppet Project why?
  16. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

The Wiki makes you smarter. ;)
  17. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Hehe! Gilbert's hillarious in Muppets Tonight!

"Look at me! I'm standing out here in my underpants! Am I allowed to say underpants? UNDERPANTS!"

... poor Kermit. :)
  18. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Member

Thank you.
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Ah, I have never seen or heard of any of those...No wonder why I thought this was the first time.

Hey, all I'm saying is that we have 2 threads just like this about the Muppet Show, both about Letters to Santa... and I've said basically the same thing.
  20. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Active Member

Lol I agree!