Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 41

ploobis

Reaction score
I love the True Mud sketch! It was awesome that Jerry Nelson did the voice of the Stephen Moyer Muppet and Matt Vogel did great puppetry with waving his hair like crazy!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That was a Jerry Nelson voice? I thought these days he only voiced already existing characters such as the Count and Fat Blue. I might need to listen again.

The Iron Monster street story was good too. Though I sort of wonder if Frank popped up on the street scene since Grover and Bert were seen at the same time. Probably not, but it would be nice to sometimes see a conversation between Bert and Grover with Frank as one and Eric as the other.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4217: What's That Noise?
Sponsors: H, 13.
Airdate: October 1, 2010.
Season: Season 41.

Cold Opening: What's the Word on the Street?
Pasta.

Street Story:
Elmo's sleeping over at Luis and María's apartment.
He hears a noise which leads to the episode's plot development.
"Oh, that's Mrs. Mazzarino's cat." Heh, nice reference to Joey.
They eventually search for the noise, finding it to be a grasshopper.
Luis checks out which insect it is on his computer while María's scared of it.
A pasta strainer to catch the grasshopper, yes, that makes sense.
Big Bird finally shows up, awake so late at night, scaring the grasshopper.
Heh, Big Bird commenting on not eating insects reminds me of when Garfield refused to chase/eat mice.
Big Bird leaves with birdseed cookies to eat in his nest. And here I thought Ernie taught us all not to eat cookies at night in our beds.
Super Grover crashes in! With the classic fanfare and all.
Grover first attracts a cow... Natural mistake, grasshoppers and cows look so much alike.
He leaves to get horseflies, leaving on his horsie, crashing down the stairs.
Oh, so here's where the parody of "Hop This Way" comes into play.
LOL! I need this MUP3!
This street story reminds me of sleeping at home, where we get noises like grasshoppers and coquies around us.

Celebrity/Muppets: Chef Kara DioGuardi explains "pasta" with Elmo's help, naming different kinds of pastas.
Ech, I'm not that fond of this food group. Gimme a bowl of spaghetti or small raviolis (so long as they're well cooked) or lasagna any day.
Letter of the Day: Murray plays Bring Out Your H.
Kids bring a hula hoop, hair, hug, and hands.
Nice subtle reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Film: Kids show H is for hands, hammer, hook, hat, help, hens, houses, happy, and home.
I'd prefer getting the animation where the kids are outside a fire station and see a hat, hose, and hook through the fogged windows.
AFFS: Magic Macaroni Art, I think this one's a repeat.
The Spice of Life? Always thought variety was the spice of life.
Macaronisaurus... Does Kraft know about this?
Blogg keeps getting the best lines. If I didn't know better I'd say he was partially inspired by Zoot.
If AFFS is going to be shown in every episode, they need to make enough episodes to at least alternate and only repeat once... Or rotate it with the other three feature segments like I commented before.
Number of the Day: Murray and the kids count up to 13, counting pogo stick jumps.
Muppets: The Count counts Michael pushing Itsani on the tire swing 13 times.
Super Grover 2.0: Sandlot Days.
Grover shows up to help a cactus get its ball back.
What happened is the ball's deflating after being punctured by the cactus's spikes.
Grover feels a little "bowled over" after getting knocked by a bowling ball.
"We must play with the snowball quickly before it melts!"
Utility sock?
The cactus gets an idea from Grover's sandwich foil... It can be folded/mushed into any shape.
I love doing that with aluminum foil, I find it more therapeutic than bubble wrap.
The funny thing is when Grover keeps getting stung by the cactus's spines.
Muppets: Murray demonstrates upside-down.
Song: You'll Find Bugs Everywhere.
Muppets: RSI Rhyme Scene Investigations.
Elmo's World: Ears.
I think they should replace EW with either Elmo's Backyard or Good Night Elmo, but that won't happen probably until next season.
Closing: Murray rewinds to remember the sponsors.

An okay episode... Hopefully we'll get better ones next week.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nice subtle reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Took you a season to link up the Bring out your [letter] to Bring out your Dead? I got that first time they did it. You're off your game, man.

Utility sock?
Yeah. He actually pulls stuff out of one of his socks in his large super hero type boots.
I think they should replace EW with either Elmo's Backyard or Good Night Elmo, but that won't happen probably until next season.
I don't think that's going to happen ever. I really think it should. Mainly because it's just a waste of 15 minutes of the show and none of it is even new footage. This thing has been clinging on to the end of the show for at least 12 years. Time to give us something new.

Which brings me to:
So far, the only things bugging me about the season are the re-use of Murray segments (FF button is put to good use) and that they're not really using any non-EW material that's from before 2008.
And the Flying Fairy Schools too. That's the problem with dealing with a razor thin budget. Not only do we have to sit through the same stuff from last season, but we have to sit through stuff in cases we've seen multiple times LAST season. I actually like Murray hosting the letter and number segments, and I'm really disappointed to see they couldn't film any extra tune ins except for Super Grover intros. Plus, they need to make new ones with Murray AND Ovejita.

As for the episode, I rather enjoyed it. Big Bird and Super Grover and Rev Run (or whoever that was) made this a heck of a lot better than it could have been. And hey, we get to have some apartment interiors again. When was the last time we saw that stuff?

Abby was a good time for a bathroom break. PLEASE tell me you made more than 13 of these. Something tells me they didn't. :eek:

uh... stupid H segment that looked like it had the same obviously pasted on animations as bank and health care insurance commercials. Oh so independent and trendy :rolleyes:. And Meh 13 segment. I love the Count, but not his best work.

But again, Super Grover 2.0 saves the rest of the episode. Why did they ONLY have to make 6 of these? These are GREAT! best segment addition in years. Anyone else think that Tyler used a modified version of his voice of Duck on Wordworld for the Cactus? And Grover repetitively touching the cactus out of habit? Nothing short of comedic gold. Really... they should have made 26 of these.

Wish I had a DVR instead of watching it when it airs. I could knock an episode out in a half hour.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah well... I haven't seen any of Season 40 yet, and at this point I'm stuck waiting for repeats every other day interspersed with the Season 41 newer episodes. So this was the first I saw that Bring out your H bit.
But seriously, they need new letter and number segments. And stop nickel and diming it with just one segment of each.
*Waits for newer better stuff from the rest of Season 41 like Pinball Number Count.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah well... I haven't seen any of Season 40 yet, and at this point I'm stuck waiting for repeats every other day interspersed with the Season 41 newer episodes. So this was the first I saw that Bring out your H bit.
But seriously, they need new letter and number segments. And stop nickel and diming it with just one segment of each.
OH. I get it now. Must've been some annoying time change that kept you from seeing 40.

Yeah. I'm not liking the one LOOOONG letter and number segment. I miss the shorter snappier ones. I mean, there were always longer things like Mad Number Painter and like that. But that stupid kids playing house bit could have been half as long. And there's no way Hello Cookie or Hello Elmo need to go on a second verse. Some sketches work better punched up and snappier. Some just slug along like a snail.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I loved the IRon Monster episdoes as it had hallmarks from the Iron Man Movie, but it taught me that Grover should never Jet Boots for a while. :super:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I only watched the first 2 or 3 minutes because, my DVR is acting up. I will say this: The reference to Joey made me laugh.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
My DVR is still cutting off, but it cut off later this time. The street story was good. We got our first Big Bird story this season. And the anmation from the grasshopper was impressive. I liked how they showed a bit with the Count from the days when Jerry was still preforming. Super Grover 2.O was good from what I saw. It's kinda wierd that Grover is changing from the classic Super Grover to Super Grover 2.0.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My DVR is still cutting off, but it cut off later this time. The street story was good. We got our first Big Bird story this season. And the anmation from the grasshopper was impressive. I liked how they showed a bit with the Count from the days when Jerry was still preforming. Super Grover 2.O was good from what I saw. It's kinda wierd that Grover is changing from the classic Super Grover to Super Grover 2.0.
There is no real change here. Super Grover 2.0 is ONLY 2.0 in that segment. He appeared in today's episode's main story line in his classic homemade looking outfit.