1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 42

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Miles' actor left to focus on his own career outside of the show. I don't know where Gabi is, but she pops up from time to time... but Gordon, Alan, Maria, Luis, Leela, Chris, and of course since the episode was about her, Gina. But you don't even see THAT many actors on the same episode at once anymore.
  2. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Yeah, Miles has already been re-cast twice. I guess they felt if they kept doing that, kids who watch might get confused. Seems like they thought it was better to write him out of the show altogehter. :):confused::o "Seems like they thought it was better to write him out of the show." Though you'd think they would have at least mentioned what happened to him. Maybe they'll make some mention of where he is in the flood episode. It just seems like Chris and Leela are the new Miles and Gabi of the show right now.
  3. Drtooth

Another engineering show. They lay this stuff on thick, especially that extremely amateurish car building "film" segment at the end.

At least the Humpty Dumpty part was kinda fun. Like the new Humpty Dumpty Puppet they've had recently. The weird storybooky looking one was never a favorite of mine. But do egg cartons really have that much protection? You can break them in the carton if they're dropped.

Rerun Abby, Rerun Super Grover, rerun filler...

Great to have another Modern Family cast member doing the Word on the street. And probably the best one of the season. Not even behind one of those colored backgrounds... on Sesame Street itself. Comedically, it does remind me of Ray Romano's "Frustrated" word on the street bit from long ago. Nice one. And nice use of Cookie Monster too.

Wonder why they had that different Murray tune in last episode? They went back to the exploration ones again.
  4. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I liked the street story today. Jerry Nelson did a good job voicing Humpty. The Murray tune-ins were fun. I haven't seen the Super Grover 2.O bit in a while, so it was good to see that again.
  5. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

At least we got two letter/number segments in today's show.
  6. Drtooth

There were 2 letters? I changed the channel in annoyance of seeing the sort of Sanrio looking Cookie Monster for the umpteenth time.

2 Numbers I knew, because I like that thing about the penguins.
  7. Oscarfan

Yeah, there was a new letter A film after the Cookie segment.
  8. Daffyfan2003

That was Jerry? Wow! First the wolf than Humpty. Seems like Jerry is really active this season. I thought that he was only sticking with his most familiar characters such as the Count and Mr. Johnson. I'm really looking forward to the ep where Mumford appears. It would be great to hear Jerry performing him again.
  9. Daffyfan2003

I have to agree with that. I work in an environment where I have to play with egg cartoons every day. You really do have to be extra careful with those. Apparently Humpty never worked in a grocery store. Besides, where in the nursery rhyme does it say that he was an egg? Lol. Couldn't resist getting that joke in.
  10. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

"You have to be careful with eggs..." (skip ahead to the 3:15 mark) ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRmN4KnfPxQ

Seriously though, that street story was fun. Great to hear Jerry as Humpty Dumpty. I'm looking forward to the Mumford cameo, too. I always wondered what would happen if Abby and Mumford met. Seems like we'll know soon.
  11. Daffyfan2003

Yeah, if they interact with each other. From the photo it looks like they might just be in the same scene, but we'll see.
  12. Drtooth

I know it's not the point of the episode, but I'm DYING from Elmo going through withdrawal symptoms from not having a pacifier. I mean, it doesn't matter if it's an allegory for regression or for giving up smoking... I'm getting a whiff of unintentional, ironic laughter from this thing. When he gave up his "binky" for a stuffed bunny and tried to give the stuffed bunny back? I screamed (all alone mind you) "The patch doesn't WORK! The Patch doesn't work for Elmo!"

Why do I get the feeling this should be on a DVD called "Sesame Street presents Dealing with Addiction?"

I mean, I looked past the fact Leela was there and so was Chris, meaning he's still 3 1/2 when he just decided to give it up... I can even look past the giving the pacifiers away is kinda unsanitary... but the way Elmo was going through withdrawal was just priceless. Once someone posts this online, it's gonna be Youtube Poop fodder.

And... ick... reruns. Double ick... Fiest.
  13. Drtooth

14. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I liked the street story. I just want to know: how could Leela, Chris, and Abby been there when Elmo decided to give up his binky? What's the usaual age for giving up binkys? The Murray tune-ins were cool.
  15. SillyRed

SillyRed Member

What was today's Elmo's world about?
  16. Drtooth

I'm not sure... I'd say one or two years old. Once they're able to talk, I guess.

Baby Bear seems to still be one and trying to give it up, but Elmo was around his normal age when he was getting rid of them/regressing back into the habit.

Still, with all the science stuff and "engineering" at least I can't complain about this episode not being age appropriate for the target demo.

That said, I shoulda gave up watching the episode after the celebrity word on the street. Other than the tune ins, everything was reused footage. I agree with Oscar fan... I LOVE Super Grover 2.0, don't get me wrong... but they really made a huge mistake not staggering it with the leftover Ernie and Bert segments.
  17. Daffyfan2003

That's exactly what I was thinking. I was sort of expecting them to show that this happened when Elmo was a baby and before they knew those people, but according the flashbacks, it seems like it happened recently.

Elmo: Elmo remembers like it was yesterday.

Lol. I guess it was.

It's interesting that Elmo understood baby talk. I guess all those years of 'asking a baby' payed off. I guess this is the first we heard Curly actually talk full sentences rather than speaking gibberish.

One more thing, did anyone notice the dollar that the 'Binky Fairy' used? Seems like they're still using the bills with Mr. Hooper's face on them like they did in that Talk, Listen, Connect special. But maybe I'm wrong. I didn't really get such a good look.
  18. DTF

DTF Member

Anecdotal here, as I never used one; then children do, 3 isn't unheard of at bedtime, but as with language maturing earlier, I've noticed younger siblings give it up faster. Elmo, being an only child, would possibly still have it for bedtime at 3.5. Now, otherwise, it would be weird if it wasn't naptime or bedtime for Elmo - and I didn't see the episode (the schedule's all confused to me, I see no rhyme or reason to how they do the new season's episodes so havne't seen any).
    I think my older cousins were about 2.5 or 3 when giving it up except for at night and 3.5 at night, middle sibs maybe half a year younger, and I don't remember the youngest using one much past 2 even at night. Elmo being an only child (well, Muppet), 3 would make sense to me for daytime, but if he's supposed to be 3.5 then naptime or bedtime would be more plausible.

But, I don't know many kids who use one, period, come to tink of it.

As for understanding baby talk, this is pretty sensible, since my older cousins always interpreted what their younger siblings were saying, and I've seen it in other kids, too. I do, however, won't how easily a child can understand someone elee's baby talk.

Finally, it sounds like Elmo got a good chance to emote for a change. That was good to see.

I note that the episode with Abby & Mumford is supposed to be Dec. 1, maybe I'll make sure to watch it then.
  19. Oscarfan

20. Drtooth