1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: "Songs From The Street" Box Set

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

"Songs From The Street" Boxed Set

Arriving this Tuesday, is the first-ever Sesame Street CD boxed set, "Songs From The Street". We have an exclusive sneak peak of the anticipated release with details on every song in this collection. Featuring 63 tracks and 32 superstar performances, this collection offers many treasures never before available on CD.

Click here for the review

You can hear all of the music from "Songs From The Street" on Muppet Central Radio.

Let us know what you think about this new CD collection.
  2. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

Oh I can not wait! Great songs. Love your review Phil.
    Any cool pix? :confused:
  3. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I told you so about it being the newer verison of "Whats the Name of that Song". I saw it on the Platinum Too cd. I just knew it. It made me so mad that it's not the original, but I can't wait either for this set. YES!!!
  4. Dave Thomer

Dave Thomer New Member

Nice review - how's the booklet? I think that's one of the things that most interest me about the set.

Oh - and Furry Happy Monsters should be credited to P. Buck, not P. Duck. Although the notion of Peter Buck as a quacker has a certain appeal. :)
  5. Phillip

Hi Dave,

I corrected the typo. Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the review. I know the detailed info on each track may not be for everybody, but for those who might be interested in particular songs in the set, I thought it might be helpful.

I currently don't have the final version of the booklet, but I will update the review with any additional info once I buy it later this week.

So now that you guys know more info about the set and can hear the songs on Muppet Central Radio, what do you think about this release? What are you looking forward to most?
  6. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I am looking forward to some of the songs, but not all. One thing I will probably be doing on some is clicking to the next song because some I have. I've already listened to the Pointer Sisters and the last song Remix sounds cool. I can't wait to hear those.
  7. Dave Thomer

Dave Thomer New Member

Hope I didn't come off like a know-it-all there. "Furry Happy Monsters" happens to be where my fondness for R.E.M. intersects with my daughter's and my fondness for Muppet music, so stuff about that song tends to jump out at me.

I'm nowhere near enough of an expert to be able to tell the difference between one recording of the songs and another, but I did like the breakdown, just for the information's sake. (I did appreciate the confirmation that the Neville "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon" used the original vocal track, which is what I had suspected.)

Great.

I like the sound of the set - I haven't heard any of the tracks on MCR yet, but I'm sure that will change. Speaking as someone who doesn't have any Muppet music on CD yet, I'm probably happier with the mix than someone who's going to wind up with duplicated tracks. I'll probably have more to say after I hear some of the tracks on MCR.
  8. Phillip

Just noticed that the box set was at number 27 on Amazon's music best-sellers list. Considering the price point, that's pretty impressive.

Has anybody been able to pick up the set yet? It might be helpful to let people know where it is showing up on the shelves. If you get the CD collection, please post your thoughts here.
  9. Ol' Buddy Bert

Ol' Buddy Bert New Member

I pre-ordered the set from Barnes and Noble.com for $38...not bad. Anyway, I got free shipping so it will be awhile until I recieve. I'll post my thoughts when I do. I'm sure everyone will be waiting with bated breath.

Honestly though, I'm looking forward to about 1/2 the contents of the set but decided to buy it by the promise of the extensive liner notes...I've been waiting for a document like that for a long, long time.
  10. available in australia?

is the cd being released worldwide? if not, any idea when we might be able to get hold of it in oz??
    :confused:
  11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

If I could get it for that cheap, I'd undoubtably buy it. But at the SRP which is almost 60 bucks, I think I'll wait. I can get a DVD player and the Jim Henson on Sullivan DVD and get rarer entertainment.

I mean, the celebrity tracks are pretty much the Bulk of the collection, and most of the songs you can get on the Platnum Cd (which is not hard to find.. in fact, it's the ONLY Cd I can find!)

The booklet would have to be something (and I bet it is) to justify my paying almost 60 bucks for it.

One question. The Monster in the mirror... does it have the Simpsons in it (like the aired version)?
  12. Phillip

"Monster is the Mirror" is the CD version included on 1990's "Put Down the Duckie" release along with Sesame Platinum and many others. Unfortunately, the celebrity version isn't on the CD. I'm sure getting the rights for each celebrity to release that on CD would be quite expensive.
  13. MuppetFan123

MuppetFan123 Member

I picked up my copy from J&R Music World today after searching for it in numerous stores in NYC. It was onsale for $39.99.

I will have a review of it later today or tomorrow when i am able to listen to it completly.

Michael
  14. MuppetFan123

MuppetFan123 Member

I just finished listening to CD 3 and here's my opion on it:

This was one of the main reasons why i bought the CD set. I really enjoyed the remakes of The Spin Doctors,Hootie & The Blowfish,R.E.M and Goo Goo Dolls songs.But I Like You and Monster in the Mirror seem to be misplaced.They should have been on CD 2 if the CD was going by chronological order.The majority of the songs were recorded in the late 90's/2000 time frame.

Tracks that should have been excluded:

I Love Trash (Steven Tyler version) - Released on Elmo Palooza which is still available in stores,plus I cant stand Tyler screeching !!!

Mambo I,I,I - On Elmo Palooza CD

Happy to Meet You - On Elmo Palooza CD

Just Happy to Be Me - On Elmo Palooza CD

Believe in Yourself - For starters, its Nsync and there's no Muppet vocals on this track...Just way too much Justin Timberlake...UGH !!!

Songs which Should Have Had Different Versions:

We Are All Earthlings - The Macys Parade 2002 Version
    Put Down The Duckie - Celebrity Version
    Monster in the Mirror - Celebrity Version
    Sesame Street Remix - The Smart E's version would have been a better choice
    Sing - Should have been a cast recording, maybe from the Hurricane episode as opposed to Dixie Chicks and chickens

Versions which Sound Different Than Song Played on TV:

New Way to Walk - This seems to be a slower version than that used on tv and dvd release
  15. Phillip

I think they were originally going for chronological order, but later mixed it up some here and there on each of the discs. I would have preferred chronological as well.

I agree about the redundant Elmopalooza tracks. I heard rumors that there were other artists who they wanted in the collection, but due to rights and the money involved, they didn't make the final cut. It's possible the Elmopalooza tracks were added to fill some of those slots.

By the way, the set is now at 3 on Amazon's best seller's list. Simply wonderful that it is so high. Hopefully if this sells well, we might see a follow-up release of some kind.
  16. furryfella

furryfella New Member

Now I'm a SS fan myself but some of the listings on here were cool and rare!! Why didn't they put a dvd with the box set with some songs that were not included with the cd's! Like some old monster songs & some other oldies but goodies!
  17. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I would have to agree w/ furryfella. Why is it they couldn't put out some so called video or CD w/ video format. I would love to see some Little Jerry and the Monotones, Chrissy and the Alphabets, more monster songs and old songs not remade and stuff like that.
  18. Phillip

Actually a DVD is in the works. It will have celebrity and Muppet appearances. Don't know exactly what skits yet though.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2003/070703.shtml

Music will also have a starring role in the preschool-focused "What's the Name of That Song," a commemorative VHS/DVD slated for release in January that weaves 12 clips of musical guests and culminates with a celebrity pastiche of the anthemic "Sing."

Additionally, Pierce says Sony is "trying to pull together" a video complement to "Songs From the Street."
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Agreed. here's some songs that should have made the cut

What's the Name of that song with either Forgetful Jones, or if they want to get a newer version, the one with Ernie and Bert from last season.

The Letter N by Normal Nick and Nickmatics. This was a GREAT song, and should have been included, at least in Born to Add or Sesame Road (instead of "I'm the Big one Now")

Fuzzy, Blue and Orange. Why the heck not?

Allagator King, Penny Candy Man, or Martian Beauty as heard on the show...

Be Yourself, the original version with Kingston Livingston III. That's obviously his best appearance and song.
  20. furryfella

furryfella New Member

I agree with dr. tooth & erine here phil!! Now that dvd sounds cool &all but why Not put some Monster songs that were Not shown On Noggin Like "Fur" from 75, & some others!! I would like too see some other old clips also!!!