Your Thoughts: "Songs From The Street" Box Set

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ol' Buddy Bert said:
I pre-ordered the set from Barnes and Noble.com for $38...not bad. Anyway, I got free shipping so it will be awhile until I recieve. I'll post my thoughts when I do. I'm sure everyone will be waiting with bated breath.

Honestly though, I'm looking forward to about 1/2 the contents of the set but decided to buy it by the promise of the extensive liner notes...I've been waiting for a document like that for a long, long time.
If I could get it for that cheap, I'd undoubtably buy it. But at the SRP which is almost 60 bucks, I think I'll wait. I can get a DVD player and the Jim Henson on Sullivan DVD and get rarer entertainment.

I mean, the celebrity tracks are pretty much the Bulk of the collection, and most of the songs you can get on the Platnum Cd (which is not hard to find.. in fact, it's the ONLY Cd I can find!)

The booklet would have to be something (and I bet it is) to justify my paying almost 60 bucks for it.

One question. The Monster in the mirror... does it have the Simpsons in it (like the aired version)?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Monster is the Mirror" is the CD version included on 1990's "Put Down the Duckie" release along with Sesame Platinum and many others. Unfortunately, the celebrity version isn't on the CD. I'm sure getting the rights for each celebrity to release that on CD would be quite expensive.

MuppetFan123

Reaction score
I picked up my copy from J&R Music World today after searching for it in numerous stores in NYC. It was onsale for $39.99.

I will have a review of it later today or tomorrow when i am able to listen to it completly.

Michael

MuppetFan123

Reaction score
MuppetFan123 said:
I picked up my copy from J&R Music World today after searching for it in numerous stores in NYC. It was onsale for $39.99.

I will have a review of it later today or tomorrow when i am able to listen to it completly.

Michael
I just finished listening to CD 3 and here's my opion on it:

This was one of the main reasons why i bought the CD set. I really enjoyed the remakes of The Spin Doctors,Hootie & The Blowfish,R.E.M and Goo Goo Dolls songs.But I Like You and Monster in the Mirror seem to be misplaced.They should have been on CD 2 if the CD was going by chronological order.The majority of the songs were recorded in the late 90's/2000 time frame.

Tracks that should have been excluded:

I Love Trash (Steven Tyler version) - Released on Elmo Palooza which is still available in stores,plus I cant stand Tyler screeching !!!

Mambo I,I,I - On Elmo Palooza CD

Happy to Meet You - On Elmo Palooza CD

Just Happy to Be Me - On Elmo Palooza CD

Believe in Yourself - For starters, its Nsync and there's no Muppet vocals on this track...Just way too much Justin Timberlake...UGH !!!

Songs which Should Have Had Different Versions:

We Are All Earthlings - The Macys Parade 2002 Version
Put Down The Duckie - Celebrity Version
Monster in the Mirror - Celebrity Version
Sesame Street Remix - The Smart E's version would have been a better choice
Sing - Should have been a cast recording, maybe from the Hurricane episode as opposed to Dixie Chicks and chickens

Versions which Sound Different Than Song Played on TV:

New Way to Walk - This seems to be a slower version than that used on tv and dvd release

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think they were originally going for chronological order, but later mixed it up some here and there on each of the discs. I would have preferred chronological as well.

I agree about the redundant Elmopalooza tracks. I heard rumors that there were other artists who they wanted in the collection, but due to rights and the money involved, they didn't make the final cut. It's possible the Elmopalooza tracks were added to fill some of those slots.

By the way, the set is now at 3 on Amazon's best seller's list. Simply wonderful that it is so high. Hopefully if this sells well, we might see a follow-up release of some kind.

furryfella

Reaction score
Now I'm a SS fan myself but some of the listings on here were cool and rare!! Why didn't they put a dvd with the box set with some songs that were not included with the cd's! Like some old monster songs & some other oldies but goodies!

Erine81981

Reaction score
I would have to agree w/ furryfella. Why is it they couldn't put out some so called video or CD w/ video format. I would love to see some Little Jerry and the Monotones, Chrissy and the Alphabets, more monster songs and old songs not remade and stuff like that.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually a DVD is in the works. It will have celebrity and Muppet appearances. Don't know exactly what skits yet though.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2003/070703.shtml

Music will also have a starring role in the preschool-focused "What's the Name of That Song," a commemorative VHS/DVD slated for release in January that weaves 12 clips of musical guests and culminates with a celebrity pastiche of the anthemic "Sing."

Additionally, Pierce says Sony is "trying to pull together" a video complement to "Songs From the Street."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
I would have to agree w/ furryfella. Why is it they couldn't put out some so called video or CD w/ video format. I would love to see some Little Jerry and the Monotones, Chrissy and the Alphabets, more monster songs and old songs not remade and stuff like that.

Agreed. here's some songs that should have made the cut

What's the Name of that song with either Forgetful Jones, or if they want to get a newer version, the one with Ernie and Bert from last season.

The Letter N by Normal Nick and Nickmatics. This was a GREAT song, and should have been included, at least in Born to Add or Sesame Road (instead of "I'm the Big one Now")

Fuzzy, Blue and Orange. Why the heck not?

Allagator King, Penny Candy Man, or Martian Beauty as heard on the show...

Be Yourself, the original version with Kingston Livingston III. That's obviously his best appearance and song.

furryfella

Reaction score
I agree with dr. tooth & erine here phil!! Now that dvd sounds cool &all but why Not put some Monster songs that were Not shown On Noggin Like "Fur" from 75, & some others!! I would like too see some other old clips also!!!