Your Thoughts: Spinney's Lifetime Achievement Award

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tonight is a very special evening for Carroll Spinney. He'll be receiving his Lifetime Achievement Award during the 33rd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards. The ceremony will be broadcast live on ABC Friday, APRIL 28, from Hollywood's famed Kodak Theater, from 8-11 p.m. eastern, 7-10 p.m. central.

Be sure to watch the appearance and let us know what you think!

Check out ABC's web site for more info on the 33rd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards...

http://abc.go.com/daytime/awards/index.html

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Just watched it... Here's what I thought.
Highlights:
The montage of clips including ABC-DEF-GHI, and Caroll talking about his work on Sesame Street.

What I disliked:
The fact that Caroll wasn't there to receive it in person...
And that the presentation got butchered by the announcement of Rosie O'Donnell joining The View.
It rully killed my buzz about the presentation.

They should've handled it better.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I LOVED the long standing ovation he got!!! That was so amazing, and his wife was there with him as well. I loved it!

BTW Count, you think that might have been only in your area, cuz when I watched, he was there, like I mentioned about the standing ovation.

DTWolf

Reaction score
In the OTHER thread about this award, I just posted my feeling that they really skimped on the time (I didn't know this thread existed till after I'd posted). A mere 3 minutes is hardly enough to honor this man for all he's done. But I did not watch the first hour and a half of the broadcast. Was there any lead-up to the presentation? Did they show any clips of Big Bird or Oscar or Caroll Spinney before the presentation itself?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh... Thanks for that Snowthmeiser... These blind batty eyes of mine you know.
DTWolf, agreed, there should've been more time. As far as build-up for the presentation... The mention of it when the person accepting on Sesame's behalf the award for Best Children's Series would count I guess.
There were clips during the presentation... I just think that they should've brought him out on stage and allowed him to give a speech of his own.
The whole thing was just another annoying awards show anyway... Hope this helps.

rlopez2682

Reaction score
Would there be a video clip of the presentation posted somewhere??? thanks!

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I agree that there should have been more time, and I would have liked to hear his entire speech--after all, that only seems fair for a lifetime of achievement. Still, seeing everyone stand up to applaud such a talented man was worth it.

Garland

Reaction score
I too wanted Carroll to speak at the main award moment but it least we got to see Oscar silently mock the speaker during the Sesame Street Emmy acceptance speech.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
In case anyone missed the ceremony, it repeats on SOAPnet Monday at 3pm EST. It also re-aired this morning, but I didn't know 'til it was just about over.

SS's (televised) Emmy win came about 40 minutes into the show, and Carroll's montage came nearly an hour-and-a-half into it.

I recorded the show on my DirecTV, then recorded the SS parts that I wanted onto VHS later in the night, 'cause there was no way I was sitting through that show for just 5 minutes of Muppet glory. Either way, it was cool to Carroll Spinney being recognized.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
I agree with most that it was too short, and we should have gotten to see more of his acceptence speech. It also would have been a nice touch if they had Big Bird present the award to him.