Your Thoughts: Spinney's Lifetime Achievement Award

rowlf84

Reaction score
But...he IS Big Bird.

It was wonderful to see the respect that Caroll received from the audience. It was also wonderful to hear the audience cheer for SS when their nomination was announced. Still everyone's favorite.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What clips were shown? Were there any clips from the first season of Sesame Street? Any clips with Bruno? Any clips with his non-regular characters? How about non-Sesame clips, like Bozo's Big Top or Wow, You're a Cartoonist!?

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
I also was disappointed at the lack of time he was given. Here's the man supposedly honored with a lifetime acheivement award and he isn't allowed to speak! But we hear all those other unknowns on the stage rant on-and-on.

It just goes to prove that the Daytime Emmy awards producers don't know a true global star when they see one.

The characters Mr. Spinney has brought to life are world famous. Who in that entire building can make that claim? He deserved more of a tribute.

Oh! It was also nice to see his wife Debbie with him.

Robin

Reaction score
Legend!!!

To put it plain and simple... This man added so much to my wonderful childhood! Cheers and Congrats too a Bird who decided to go to NYC when the other muppets went to Hollywood... that took some major giblets!!!! Also to a crabby garbage dweller whose stench and bad attitude make sesame street so diverse!!!! YAYYYYYY love ya Mr. Spinney!!!!

PS
I saw that wonderful Jim Henson Twinkle in Carroll's eye... It was nice!!

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I don't care who it is that gets a lifetime acheivment award...I think it is rude to turn a presentation like that into a plug for Rosie O'donell on the View.... I thought that the presentation of the award should have been a bigger deal (on most shows I think it is) Although it is still nice Carroll Spinney get the award it was a shame to see someone who really did acheive much in his life get so little hoopla.

Robin

Reaction score
Ha ha

Rosie is yuck city!!! but, I'm sure Big Bird will forgive her and Barbara WaWa...
and Oscar will take them out with the trash... If the Emmy's won't honor Mr Spinney the right way... let us erect a temple to him larger, and grander than any God has ever seen... Larger than the pyramids... Grander than any Golden God that Moses warned against as he led the Jews from Slavery to the land of milk and honey!!!! we'll build it on the salt flats!!!! Who is in? He will be worshiped forever or people will die!!!!!

Garland

Reaction score
I'm in too...As the Great Bird once said..."ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know that this is an old subject, but I've been out for a while, so...

I felt it was the most disgraceful thing ever. Here we have an internationally beloved television star who for almost 40 years has performed 2 of the most instantly recognizable characters in existance, and they give him a 2 minute retrospective so they can make room for that Rosie announcement that I've heard all day. And they gave him the award at the ghetto Emmys for "best lighting" and "best catering of a vegitarian dish for a local news program." Disgraceful.

I was livid. The entire show was a circus. A nightmarish circus evil cartoon clowns like the Joker hideout in. What audience specifically did they have to "hip" the show up for? Everyone watching is a 30 year old + housewife. They don't want hip.

Brinatello

Reaction score
Sorry to be late on this too, but I agree with the majority of those who felt Carroll got a less well-deserved screen time at the Daytime Emmy's. The video clips with Jim Henson and Sesame Street were awesome to watch, but I was upset to see Carroll only stand up, wave to the cheering audience and then sit back down! It feels as though the children's shows, cartoons and actors don't get as much attention as say, the soap opera stars.

Example: I remember in 1999 when Rob Paulsen won a Daytime Emmy for the voice of Pinky from "Pinky and the Brain." I was absolutely ecstatic and had to personally congratulate him for the huge honor. At the same awards, Susan Lucci finally broke her 19 nominations streak and won Best Actress for Erica Kane from "All My Children." She got a four minute standing ovation, not to mention received the most attention on the late night news after the awards. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, in fact, I was very happy for her. I just wish Rob got the same treatment as she did! And now, I don't think they have a category for voice actors at the Emmys.