1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. MuppetMazz

MuppetMazz Member

Anyone? Anyone? A little help? Maybe some Lunchables? :search:

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I finally got a chance to read the Muppet Robin Hood I bought a couple days ago, and first of all, for me to get a real opinion on it, I'm gonna have to read them all together from the beginning.

But all I can say is, I think I enjoyed it a lot more than anyone else here, but I see exactly what people are talking about and why they aren't fans of it. I'm going to agree word for word with Tough Pigs's assessment... while the writing is Muppety, he's still saddled with the task of having to actually tell the story. So we get these long pages of exposition... mainly in the first and third issue. And I'm going to agree with the Narrator of the comic.... Robin Hood is such a deep, expansive legend.... it really MUST be hard to get it down to a 4 issue miniseries. Heck, It's probably a chore to get it into a long running series.

But this issue proved that it can be Muppety... the whole segment where the cast attacks the writer and forces him to rewrite a happy ending, causing a weird segment written by a guy who doesn't speak English and has a strange obsession with the Swedish Chef (which the book actually takes into the storyline)... classic. Absolutely. And referring to the "voice" in Janice's head as Jerry (even though he was drawn to be the Muppet Newsman) was just brilliant. The ending seemed a bit abrupt, though... but again... the legend of Robin Hood, and a fractured one at that in a four issue comic...

I'm sure I was supposed to get Fozzie's line "And they said it couldn't be done!" Was that a reference to a specific Robin Hood?

The art... well, I think I enjoyed it a lot more than anyone else did, but I see why people don't like it. The artwork itself looks like it resembles more of a Medieval style storybook quality... and there are clear and obvious manga influences (a lot of crosshatched anger marks... something even I use) and certain facial expressions. Some characters he gets down well and work in his stylization, others don't. And his Miss Piggy reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld with the woman that looks beautiful in the right lighting and angles, but looks completely unattractive in other angles. But I LOVED his Sal and Bobo. Hated his Clifford, except for that one close up, but I loved his Sal.

And I think at the end when they mention the aerodynamic pies, they should have been depicted instead of flying fish.

And for surprised guests...

How's Fleet Scibbler grab you? Not to mention Beauregard, Spamela Hamderson, Andy and Randy and... I think there was one more, but I can't remember at the top of my head.

3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Do Statler and Waldorf appear at all in the story?

Also, considering that Janice was among the merry men (so much for Robin Hood only having one female character...) and the rest of the mayhem (except Lips... Right?) being the crusades... Does Janice's character eventually join them?

4. Drtooth

Oh yeah... VERY important role near the end. Without revealing too much, they are instrumental in the fight at the end.

I don't want to reveal it, but your question is answered on the last page.

5. minor muppetz

Comicbookresources now has previews for both Peg-Leg Wilson #3 and Muppet Peter Pan. Both are good so far, though with Peg-Leg Wilson #3 there are no signs of obscure characters (just major and original characters), though I'm sure they'll appear.

6. Amy

Amy Member

7. Blinky_Fish

Blinky_Fish Member

I rule! thanks Amy!

The Rats are back!:shifty:

8. Drtooth

I just got around to reading Peg Leg Wilson 3 last night...

Very interesting... the Perils of Piggy was included here... and that's a pretty obscure segment. Certainly not as well known as Muppet Labs, Pigs in Space, and even Bear on Patrol... Roger does a GREAT job with Deadly's design here...

It sure gets deeper into a plotline than any of the previous comics... we saw less sketches, and less obscure characters in the background. and there are quite a few new creations that fit perfectly in the Muppet Universe. And I really like that the story was taken out of the Muppet Show yet again, where Gonzo goes to the Library (so that's where Mildred was all this time!)

And let's not forget the wonderfully weird Animal board game comic, the Pigs in Space and closing number with a robot Piggy double, and Kismet's cheating and stealing.

Another good issue, but I can't wait to see how it all ends.

9. haakonsmary

haakonsmary Member

Just read Muppet Peter Pan #1. I really gotta commend Grace and Amy on a wonderful job and a thoroughly enjoyable issue. The characters' voices shone through and were true to themselves. I really loved the art and appreciated how the characters stayed true to their Muppet designs. The gag of having Scooter's eyes attached to his glasses when he took them off made me laugh out loud, since it's what would have happened to the actual puppet if he had performed that action. Speaking of eyes, I love the attention to detail Amy uses when drawing Piggy's eyes and eyelashes, which are spot on. And I loved seeing Bean Bunny have a significant role again. He was one of my favorites when I was a kid (probably because I grew up in Orlando and got to see Muppet Vision 3-D a lot). Looking forward to the next issue.

10. minor muppetz

Is Wayne in that segment? I figure Perils of Piggy is the on-page title (the "Perils of Piggy" title was never used on the show), and you are referring to the melodramas. And I figure it's just as obscure as the talking houses or vendaface.

I think the "On the Road" storyline was in development for awhile... I believe that Langridge mentioned a storyarc in an interview long before it was announced that after this storyline they'll stop renumbering after every four issues. And he said it'd be a "logical progression from this one". But I wonder, once all storyarcs planned before the change was made get published, I wonder if there'll be more self-contained issues or if the majority will be storyarcs.

I had thought that holiday issues would be neat, but also felt it would be hard with the four-issue format (four months of a christmas story, anyone?). But now that the numberign won't change, I'd like to see a christmas issue next year, as well as other holidays. The Muppet Show never had any holiday episodes. so it'd be neat to see the closest thing to a Mupet Show christmas (or halloween or thanksgiving, etc) episode.

11. minor muppetz

Well, I found a copy of the "Meet the Muppets" trade paperback today at my local Waldens Books. I just read the preview issue at the end of the book, and it is good.

12. Muppetfan44

Muppetfan44 Active Member

I just have to say that I have loved all the comic books! They're all fantastic!

After reading Peg Leg Wilson #3, I loved the HMS Pinafore number! The drawing and especially having the text match the music of the opera when you ready it, ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! Some of the best writing ever! If you haven't tried it, you gotta do it!

Peter Pan #1 was also great and I'm estatic for King Arthur!

13. minor muppetz

According to Roger Langridge's blog, he plans on including human guets stars for a few issues in the near future, as well as appearances by characters who haven't been in the comic yet (I'm not really surprised about that).

14. minor muppetz

I've found a few Roger Langride interviews recently. In one, he said that most of the "On the Road" stories will be self-contained, witht he "on the road" theme being the only major connection between them, and he mentioned that there will be self-contained stories and storyarcs, though the self-contained stories might still have some kidn of connection.

15. minor muppetz

I wonder what the chances would be of a storyarc having the opening two-page spreads take palce in the canteen? As far as I know that area hasn't been seen in the comics yet, despite a mention in issue #2 and cameos by Gladys (thoguh I think it MIGHT have been in "Fozzie's Story"... One page has two panels at the top of Gonzo admiring a skull in some room with a blue wall... I'm not sure if that was meant to be the canteen or a different room... The rest of that particular page took place backstage, but the backgrounds didn't match how Langridge draws the backstage).

I figure that the "on the road" two-page spreads will probably show the characters traveling on the road. The only cover shown so far shows the Muppets crowded inside a van, but it'd be great if the spreads show characters hanging outside the window or holding on to the van from outside, maybe put some full-body characters on top of the van... And of course have Sweetums chasing the van.

A comic issue with the opening two-page spread taking place outside of the theater would be nice as well. But I most prefer the archs spreads from the first four issues. The two-page spreads from "The Treasure of Peg-Leg Wilson" don't really feel like an "opening" to me (and thsoe don't see to have many obscure cameos... I haven't seen teh openign spread from issue #1, since Comic Book Resources didn't provide previews for that one).

I wonder what kind of spread will be used for the Pigs in Space one-shot. A sky settign would be most logical, but I'll be surprised if that spread has any kind of mayhem.

16. minor muppetz

Today I found a copy of the latest issue of The Treasure of Peg-Leg Wilson at my local Waldens Books. It is good. I find the choice of having Mildred as the librarian a somehwat odd choice; I would have chosen somebody less involved with the theater like Miss Mousey or Zelda Rose. I would have also put some more obscure characters (ones not seen at the theater very much) as library patrons.

I think Amy Mebberson mentioned that only one cover of each issue would be offered at newsstands. I think I got the A cover, but on my copy the cover doesn't list whether it's "Cover A" or "Cover B". I guess that's just one more variation...

17. King Prawn

King Prawn New Member

I just read the final installment of Robin Hood, it was great! It finally brought the story to an end making way for one i've really been wanting to read, Muppet Peter Pan which I must say is excellent :flirt: at first I was really into it when i saw Cover B and just assumed the whole comic would look like that, luckily I assumed right but it's not just the art, the storytelling is fantastic, I can't wait for the next issue when we get to Neverswamp, I really want to see how the other Muppets are drawn as well as find out what's happening. ;)

The arguments between Sam the Eagle and the Narrator throughout the story is great, I love it :attitude: I know the two girls who brought us this comic are around here, sorry I don't remember your names but congrats on what I consider the best Muppet comic to have come from Boom! and that's saying alot because i'm really liking The Muppet Show comics too.

18. minor muppetz

The cover for On the Road #2 has been posted at Muppet Wiki, and I've noticed that so far we've only seen one cover each for the first two issues. Does anybody know if Boom! will stop having variant covers for The Muppet Show Comic Book by then? After all, every time new covers have been posted, we've seen both the "A" and "B" covers.

19. Drtooth

So... is just Muppet Peter Pan coming out this week, or are they both coming out this week? I'm kinda short on money, an' I wanna know if I'm gonna have to buy both...

Cuz thrust me, I ain't even waiting a week again.

20. minor muppetz

Comic Book Resources only had a preview for the new Peter Pan issue.