1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Nasubionna

Nasubionna Active Member

Yay! I had only relatively recently realized these comics exist, so I'll have hardly had to wait for this final set to come out. I really hope it's true, and 4 seasons will be release this summer, because man, I sure love these comics!
  2. Walter White

Walter White New Member

The solicitation for issue 2 has been released. The issue is due to come out in August.

And the cover
    Nasubionna likes this.
  3. j3h

j3h Active Member

Nice!
    Can not wait!

Not exactly fond of the cover though.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I like Statler and Waldorf's look... not exactly fond of Fozzie. Too bad Roger didn't get a chance to do covers for all 4 issues... or at least give Amy Mebberson a call. I'm sure Shelli's busy with Adventure Time.
  5. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

My thoughts: everyone looks weird.
  6. Nasubionna

Nasubionna Active Member

Not my favorite cover art, but I don't even care because I'm just ecstatic to have this last arc released!!
  7. Drtooth

Solicitation cover for "Fall"

8. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

I took a brief look at the Comic at The Disney Store and thought the drawings were kind of bad, especially some characters having teeth. However if you look carefully you can see a bunch of rare characters from the shows and the humor is very close to the actual Muppet humor. I only read a page, so I might consider buying it someday. But only if the drawings were Muppet Show Book style, I would enjoy it more.
  9. Drtooth

Frog forbid that things can be stylized in someone's natural form of artwork.

Me? I'm glad they're not slavishly traced off of style guides. i read one comic too many that was like that for my taste.
  10. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

So cool that Pops will be the focus of an issue. I guess he'll be the most minor character to get this kind of focus (unless one of the other issues surprisingly focuses on another minor character). Though I have a feeling Pops will be just as featured here (if not less) as Gonzo was in "Gonzo's Story".
  11. Nasubionna

Nasubionna Active Member

I agree. As an artist who doesn't always draw "on model" myself, I enjoy seeing other artists' stylistic interpretations of our beloved Muppets.
  12. Drtooth

Listen...

I will always hold Jason Segal and the rest of the movie staff in the highest reguard of bringing the classic Muppets back. But Roger Langridge brought the soul of the original Muppet Show back... something no one else did, reguardless of the format. Heck, I'd say he even improved upon the source material (especially creating new segments that would fit the Muppet Show perfectly, once replacing Pigs in Space with Link Hoghtrob: Monster Smasher). He completely disappears into the source material, both here and the wonderful IDW Popeye series. There were about 2 or 3 of the Fairy Tale based Muppet comics that were really great, but even then, I don't think they were as well done as the Muppet Show main comic (Snow White was really close... it's the best of that bunch). And I admire his stylization of the characters. I wish that they'd put them on a T-shirt, instead of the same dead eyed stock art style guide stuff.
    Slackbot and CaseytheMuppet like this.
  13. Nasubionna

Nasubionna Active Member

Yes, I said I agree with you. Or am I misunderstanding why you're quoting me? :)
  14. Drtooth

Just adding to the conversation... that's why I was quoting. Sorry if it was a misconception.

These comics are the greatest thing to happen to the Muppets before the film and virals happened. I wish we could get Roger to write some scripts for a TV special or something... that's how good he is. I'm so glad Disney has the vision to release the rest of these.
  15. Nasubionna

Nasubionna Active Member

Ah, sorry Drtooth, misunderstood you!
    Yes, Roger's Muppet writing was superb (I am also a giant fan of Link Hogthrob: Monster Smasher) and I would squeal with glee if he could be convinced to write (or at least contribute to) more Muppet scripts. But at any rate, also super happy the remainder of his work is being released. I honestly NEVER thought that would happen!
  16. Drtooth

Roger has become one of my favorite comic book author/artists in such a short amount of time, and I thank his work on The Muppet Show Comic Book for giving me exposure to that. I've thumbed through a copy of "The Show Must Go On" at a bookstore, and that's some great indie comic stuff right there. And I highly recommend Snarked and Popeye. Those are just brilliant. Roger took what made Popeye great to begin with (before the repetitive "eat spinach, punch out Bluto" cartoons people are familiar with) and went from there. Thimble Theater stuff. Of course, after reading Snarked, I had no doubt he could channel that world.