Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
One thing I remember thinking was that I liked the human element of the movie. One thing I've found about the Muppet Movies that I'm not as fond of are that I don't really like the human performers in them. I thought the human actors in this were great and comlimented the muppets very well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm thinking that all the characters who only appear during Kermit's big speech were not rebuilt puppets, and all minor characters who appear many times were rebuilt, whether for this movie or recently. Somehow that makes sense, as they pretty much use all minor characters outside of that scene many times.

I've read at Muppet Wiki (quoting a facebook post by Tyler Bunch) that the credits made a mistake, saying that Bill Barretta performed "Fozzie Moopet" when it was really Tyler who performed him (as well as Thog in all his scenes), and he's been informed that the DVD will have the credits corrected (I wonder if anyone will complain about the alteration on the DVD... :excited:).

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
Saw the movie again (in a full theater, I might add...) and it was just as magical, if not BETTER, than the first time I saw it. My only complaint after noticing it this time: for most Walt Disney Studio films, during the opening castle sequence, it says "Walt Disney Pictures"... for THE MUPPETS, all it said was, "Disney"... and I was, like, What?! Disney don't wanna call this a Walt Disney Picture, or what?! LOL! :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly that movin right along should've been in there. Maybe where theyre in the car and he says you think we shoulhave gotten a bigger car.
Yep. Or he coulda said as part of a sentence reply "well...movin' right along...".
There's something so goosepimply magical about that song and their beat up studebaker. Not complaining about the new film, but I love how natural the first one is. Other than Animal becoming ginormous(one of my fave scene), it doesnt have too much of the unbelievable quit edit random type stuff that VMX and this new movie has.

beaker

Reaction score
I finally got around to seeing it tonight. I thought it was a really good film. It was nice to see Rowlf getting more attention than he has gotten recently. Also a lot of the lesser characters got recognized as well. Overall it is a good time to be a Muppet fan.
No joke, I heard a woman gasp the first time we see Rowlf (in the car recalling why his scene wasnt in the montage) For a lot of people Rowlf is a very special, old time character. My mom loved Rowlf as a kid in the early 60's, and Rowlf has been gone for so long its just wonderful to have him back. His puppet build, voice, mannerisms couldnt have been more perfect.

beaker

Reaction score
I'm thinking that all the characters who only appear during Kermit's big speech were not rebuilt puppets, and all minor characters who appear many times were rebuilt, whether for this movie or recently. Somehow that makes sense, as they pretty much use all minor characters outside of that scene many times.

I've read at Muppet Wiki (quoting a facebook post by Tyler Bunch) that the credits made a mistake, saying that Bill Barretta performed "Fozzie Moopet" when it was really Tyler who performed him (as well as Thog in all his scenes), and he's been informed that the DVD will have the credits corrected (I wonder if anyone will complain about the alteration on the DVD... :excited:).
Thats a VERY very interesting and plausible theory. We know Carl is not the 1992 business meeting or 1996 MT build, but a new 2008 model. But for many of those, I wonder if they were all rebuilt. Not saying they used the now highly degenerated 36 year old ones. But perhaps ones from the 90's or something. Maybe they did rebuild em all but the only scenes that made it in the movie were of the background ones.

I also love the scene where they had Droop, Afghan Hound and Behemoth getting Jack Black ready for stage time. Just the fact that they chose those classic background characters for that scene is awesome!
Yes!!! I mean it was so surreal to be in a crowded mainstream cineplex theater seeing on this giant screen Behemoth and Droop with their own individual scene with Jack Black. That could have easily been cut, as many scenes sadly did. But they kept it in there, and Behemoth even has some lines. I think besides UD, he has the most lines of any of the obscure characters.

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Saw it again last night with a few close friends of mine while visiting at home for Thanksgiving and it was a completely different viewing experience- but still the same great movie

My one friend is a Muppet fan, not die hard, but loves the classic 3 (TMM, GMC, MTM) and the Muppet show. Her husband is indifferent (not a fan, not a hater either). It was great seeing the film with them and talking with them about their reactions. She said that the film was a lot better than she expected, although she was really disappointed that Rizzo didn't have any significant screen time in the film (she loves the Gonzo/Rizzo dynamic). Her husband LOVED Bobo and they both said that they haven't laughed so hard throughout a movie in a long time, so I'm really glad I got to experience that with them. The audience this time was a lot more families and potential new fans, which was great. Everyone was laughing a lot to bits that greatly resemble classic Muppet Show hilarity (The Muppets totally torturing Jack Black, Camilla and friends' version of Forget You and Gonzo's craziness while blowing up his plumbing business and his head bowling act). Overall the responses of people coming out of the theater were great and I think that brought more smiles to my face than anything. There was one dad who made his kids stay throughout all of the credits because he really wanted and hoped to see Sweetums bust through the screen at the end- LOVED that! We all left the theater talking about our fann-ness and wishing everyone a great holiday- something I think all the people that worked hard on this film really wanted.

I was also talking to a sales clerk at a department store while I was doing holiday shopping- she saw my Muppet attire and asked me if I saw the new movie and what I thought about it. I told her it was a great, fun film that will leave her grinning from ear to ear by the end- She told me that she grew up with the Muppets and couldn't wait to see the movie- It's moments like these that really make me feel special that I am a Muppet fan and I love it when I get to share the feeling of how great the Muppets make me feel with others- one of the best feelings in the world.

After watching the movie a second time, here are things that I loved about the movie but haven't mentioned before-
Me Party- I LOVED this song, even though it did seem out of place. Like others on here, I have had a ton of me parties myself because if I want to see or do something that none of my friends are interested in- that's not going to stop me from going and having a ton of fun- I have learned that some of the things I have done and seen by myself have been the greatest times of my life and I've grown a lot personally over these experiences- I will never let the fact that I'm alone stop me from doing what I want to do and this song really connected with me and reminded me of that- I wish it was longer or something so the song could be more of an example but I still love it all the same.

I LOVED, and I mean LOVED, the brief moment where we see Kermit behind the big "O" right before the telethon started-I couldn't believe how much seeing that really moved me- I pictured him doing it during the Muppet show years and it felt like such a great "behind-the-scenes" moment- definitely one of my absolute favorite parts of the movie.

I'm still kind of bummed about some of the Kermit and Piggy stuff that got cut, but hopefully it will be in an extended version DVD- I still love Kermit and Piggy's performances throughout and I am so glad to see that much of their depth as characters are back.

I LOVED Rowlf's comeback-Bill Baretta did a great job and every Rowlf bit or side comment was pure gold.

I definitely want to see the movie once more before it leaves theaters, but I am so anxious to see how well this did in the weekend box office and hopefully the huge success that it will continue to be afterwards- Overall critics' responses seem really good and I'm excited to continue to read the public response. Hopefully a lot more great Muppet stuff is coming our way but for right now, it is such a huge relief how good this movie was.

beaker

Reaction score
The Kermit getting ready to open the "O" was indeed amazing. Just seeing a full on TMS movie, amazing. Tho yeah, sucks Rizzo was MIA. Disney released a Rizzo and Pepe plush for the movie merch, but they were not really in it.

Saw the movie again (in a full theater, I might add...) and it was just as magical, if not BETTER, than the first time I saw it. My only complaint after noticing it this time: for most Walt Disney Studio films, during the opening castle sequence, it says "Walt Disney Pictures"... for THE MUPPETS, all it said was, "Disney"... and I was, like, What?! Disney don't wanna call this a Walt Disney Picture, or what?! LOL! :wink:
Oh no, I like how they are respecting that most of us still and will always consider the Muppets Jim Henson Company. Thats why for so long they just said Muppet Holding Company or LLC. And the Disney part in the title and posters is just to use their marketing power for those who may not necessarily go for the Muppets, but indeed see anything Disney.

I like how it doenst say "Disney's The Muppets" too. Just a respectful "Disney" in small letters. They know we will never ever accept The Muppets as part of Disney continuity, as they have tried to do with Pixar characters. But we as fans are now very willing to let the Muppets be hosted by Disney

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Oh no, I like how they are respecting that most of us still and will always consider the Muppets Jim Henson Company. Thats why for so long they just said Muppet Holding Company or LLC. And the Disney part in the title and posters is just to use their marketing power for those who may not necessarily go for the Muppets, but indeed see anything Disney.

I like how it doenst say "Disney's The Muppets" too. Just a respectful "Disney" in small letters. They know we will never ever accept The Muppets as part of Disney continuity, as they have tried to do with Pixar characters. But we as fans are now very willing to let the Muppets be hosted by Disney
When I was reading some news articles focused around the movie, I was totally surprised when during an interview ( I think it was a Bobin interview) that he basically said Disney just told them to "make a good movie". I was so surprised on how hands off they were and I think we all know that it really worked for this movie- many Henson successes have been because of very supportive (both financially and creatively) backers and I think this movie is no exception. Disney gave them the tools and trust they needed to make a great film and overall, they definitely delivered.